News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

W116 versus ford capri

Started by johnnyw116, 21 February 2011, 04:37 PM

johnnyw116

found an old picture on internet of an70's car crash between the W116 and an ford capri , the W116 you can stil drive but the capri dont look like you can drive home with it 

JohnnyW116

ponton

Hah! I think somebody posted the same picture a while back.  I agree, that capri really took a pounding.  Sure is nice to know we drive around in battering rams

foss

ouch! i would hate to be the driver of the capri.
1979 450sel 6.9 SOLD BACK TO ROBERT D.
2002 745i
1978 450sel 148,000kms SOLD
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

thysonsacclaim

1974450SEL

Good to know the W116 is half tank underneath all that pretty steel.  You have to wonder if the Capri driver survived that since the 70's was the pre-airbag days.   

gf

I just wonder where the steering column and fire wall of the capri are? I remember seeing a kingswood prang like this when i was a kid and the steering wheel was pretty much touching the seat! thank god only the chinese make cars to that standard nowdays!

koan

I read somewhere years ago, think it was a review of the new S Class 126 that the 116 was the first with progressive crumple zones but they didn't crumple enough so the 126 was given a "softer" front.

Nice to have a car that stays together in a serious collisions like this one but it does mean the deceleration of the occupants was quite high, possibly resulting in injuries that might have been avoided if it deformed a bit more.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

Yes, it's very much like that. The whole point of the crumple zone is to absorb the impact, so you don't want it to be too rigid.

Still, the 116 would have been the best of its time.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Type17

Quote from: koan on 24 February 2011, 09:25 AM
I read somewhere years ago, think it was a review of the new S Class 126 that the 116 was the first with progressive crumple zones but they didn't crumple enough so the 126 was given a "softer" front.

Nice to have a car that stays together in a serious collisions like this one but it does mean the deceleration of the occupants was quite high, possibly resulting in injuries that might have been avoided if it deformed a bit more.

koan

I'd say that the 116 occupants were fine, as they stopped relatively gently by using the Capri's crumple zone  ;)

Not sure I'd like to hit a tree in a 116 though...
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

ponton

Yeah, its not so bad if you have another car to turn into a crumple zone.

gf

Modern cars i think generally have very stiff crumple zones for higher speed collisions once the bumper has done its bit. the airbags and belt pretensioners help out lots too.

powerglide

Notice in pic 4 the skid marks (no ABS!) tell the story: British tourist in Capri (who else but a Pom would own one of those things?) turns out of pub carpark after a liquid lunch and ... crunch! Merc driver hits brakes and swerves (incorrect but instinctive response), but note how little the W116 deviated.  How many W116s left on the road, and how many Ford anythings left? Game, set and match. Here's a question, would you rather be in the W116 in this crash, or instead in a Hyundai with an air bag?  I think my next car will be a W116.
Powerglide