Garage > Test Drive

W116 Such Gas Hogs. Why ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Randys01:
 15-20 mpg should be quite achievable for a D jet....they are thirstier than the K Jet.

Not sure what spec this car is you are contemplating.Euro?/Cal?/US spec but when u say low compression I guess you mean 8:! which was normal US spec for M117.?
There will be plenty of debate from the US fraternity about their expeirinces with the best fuel and octane for this spec vehicle.

karmann_20v:
Well... That gearbox with its many speeds may have something to do with it, me thinks. ALL 3 of them!

Motorman:

--- Quote from: 90077merc on 17 July 2021, 04:12 PM ---Do the 450 SELs run better on low ethanol gas? Where do you find that?

--- End quote ---

Hi
Our local farm service co-op has regular non-ethanol, which is handy since my SL runs fine on it. Off island you can actually get premium non-ethanol which is a great option for higher compression engines. Prices are high for both but since retired, no more commuting!!

BCDC:
The fuel usage with the wonderful cars is never going to be great. It's a basic law of physics. These vehicles are HEAVY and this is the main reason for not brilliant fuel economy. Sure, it is best practice to get the thing running smoothly but you will never get outstanding economy even driving long distances at low RPM. Enjoy the car for what it is, a luxury saloon. When I first got mine I would work out the fuel usage when filling up but let that go a while ago, now I don't care and never think about it unless I read a post on this forum like this. I spend most of the time enjoying the experience of such a beautiful drive. I must admit that here in Australia we have access to 98 high octane fuel available almost everywhere, so I just fill her up with the best stuff and floor it. Enjoy the last gap of fossil fuels.

BC

revilla:

--- Quote from: BCDC on 20 July 2021, 07:35 PM ---The fuel usage with the wonderful cars is never going to be great. It's a basic law of physics. These vehicles are HEAVY and this is the main reason for not brilliant fuel economy. Sure, it is best practice to get the thing running smoothly but you will never get outstanding economy even driving long distances at low RPM. Enjoy the car for what it is, a luxury saloon. When I first got mine I would work out the fuel usage when filling up but let that go a while ago, now I don't care and never think about it unless I read a post on this forum like this. I spend most of the time enjoying the experience of such a beautiful drive. I must admit that here in Australia we have access to 98 high octane fuel available almost everywhere, so I just fill her up with the best stuff and floor it. Enjoy the last gap of fossil fuels.

BC

--- End quote ---

Never ever better stated. 10000% agree. It’s like that other practice of keeping records of expenses on parts etc for the old girls. I hate when my accountant asks these type of questions. Wives/girlfriends have that bad habit too.  Calculating and knowing fuel consumption figures and total repair/maintenance expenses in my mind is inversely proportional to the pleasure level of owning classic cars. I personally prefer ignoring them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version