News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

W116's are becoming more socially acceptable

Started by Big_Richard, 12 November 2011, 05:14 AM

Big_Richard

I remember thinking that w116's were ugly and dated looking when the w126 was current, that's what I'm going off. Naturally other peoples memories will be different ;)

I was privileged enough to have a family friend own an astral silver on blue leather 6.9 when i was  a child so i remember it well. It was after they were current though and always wished it looked more like a w126...

It would be cool to find that car though, there's no record of vin so it would be virtually impossible.

WGB

My car never leaves home without a compliment from some total stranger - especially when they realise the age of the car.

On a personal level - I was a penniless student living over the back fence from the local Mercedes Agent when the 116 first arrived and I remember standing in absolute awe as they drove in and out.

I was a penniless young country doctor (well not as penniless as in 1972) in 1978 watching the farmers driving around in their 280 and 450's.

I remember being totally gobsmacked when I first rode in the then brand new 126 380 and later that year in a 500 but for some reason in my old cars I have stuck with the 116.

The 116 is now becoming old enough that the good ones are interesting again just like the 108 went from old to interesting and the 126's seem to be fading faster than the 116 did.

A W116 is probably easier to maintain than either a 108 or a 126 - even the 6.9 once you get it sorted.

Bill

Mforcer

I don't remember there ever being a time when W116's were socially unacceptable ::)

My car has always had plenty of positive comments and feedback. But I also see W116 everywhere around where I live. Barely a drive would go by without me seeing one so others must appreciate them to some degree too :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Big_Richard

socially unacceptable is probably the wrong term, i would say "unappreciated"  8)

Mforcer

I remember growing up, when my parents had the old squeaky 4-door Mercedes (450SE) and my friends dad had the cool new 2-door (560SEC) making the comment as to how little had changed in the interior. I could certainly see the heritage even before I appreciated these cars and I think that heritage takes time to be appreciated.

Today, they are the last Mercedes sedan with steel bumpers and nothing can beat that.
Michael
2006 B200

Hemersam

Since buying my '78 280SE almost four years ago, I've seen three other ones in the Dallas, Texas, area, and I drive a lot. One blue, one silver, and one white, none of them a diesel. That's it. Not much for a metro area of probably close to a million people.
Hemersam
P.S. Lots of pickup trucks, though.  ;D

1980sdga

Quote from: Mforcer on 13 November 2011, 05:54 PM

Today, they are the last Mercedes sedan with steel bumpers and nothing can beat that.

I believe the last 116 to roll off the line was a 1980 300SD  8)  Why'd you bring the bumpers into this...

;D

Mforcer

Even the last 300SD had steel "bumperettes" ;D
Michael
2006 B200

Squiggle Dog

Yesterday I was at the fueling station and a lady opened her door and asked, "Does that have a 6 or an 8 cylinder in it?"

I responded, "It has a 5 cylinder," which surprised her.

She said, "Well, that's different! I didn't know they made a 5 cylinder."

Then I said, "It has a turbocharged 5 cylinder engine."

She said, "Wow, that must be the sport model. Is it German?"

I answered, "Yes," to which she responded, "Well, that's a beautiful car."
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Papalangi

Quote from: Hemersam on 15 November 2011, 07:28 PM
Since buying my '78 280SE almost four years ago, I've seen three other ones in the Dallas, Texas, area, and I drive a lot. One blue, one silver, and one white, none of them a diesel. That's it. Not much for a metro area of probably close to a million people.
Hemersam
P.S. Lots of pickup trucks, though.  ;D

That's cause I bought the last 450SEL in Dallas 5 years ago and drove it home to Seattle.

Other than relatives and co-workers who tease me about it's size, only Squiggledog and a lady at the Post Office have even noticed it at all.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

Nutz

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 15 November 2011, 11:00 PM
Yesterday I was at the fueling station and a lady opened her door and asked, "Does that have a 6 or an 8 cylinder in it?"

I responded, "It has a 5 cylinder," which surprised her.

She said, "Well, that's different! I didn't know they made a 5 cylinder."

Then I said, "It has a turbocharged 5 cylinder engine."

She said, "Wow, that must be the sport model. Is it German?"

....... an den?

Big_Richard

oscar

Quote from: Nutz on 17 November 2011, 12:24 AM
Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 15 November 2011, 11:00 PM
....... an den?

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 17 November 2011, 04:21 AM
cue 70's "adult film" music.

and then the film, featuring Squiggle Dawg himself  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/qtd0lVZi2Cs?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0
1973 350SE, my first & fave

calvin streeting

also what the hell do you search for on youtube to get that... lol

Squiggle Dog

;D That video is great!

At first I thought the lady was going to ask me for money (it seems you can't go anywhere in this city without getting asked for money several times--even when I'm in my front yard there will be a young single mom pushing her stroller down the road and yelling, "Ya got a dolla?" or a hooker asking, "Hey, you wanna go someplace?").

One time a young lady was walking down the road crying and swearing. When she saw me working on my car she said her boyfriend was beating her up and she needed a place to stay. I told her that while I was sorry, she couldn't stay here, but she could use my phone to call the police. She refused and asked if I had $60 or $80 for a hotel room. I said no, then she asked if I had any money for a taxi so she could stay with her mother. I said no, to which she responded, "For real?". Then she asked if she could borrow my car for a few hours. She said she had a driver's license and everything. I refused but told her that I could drive her there. She refused and walked away.

She came back the next day and wanted a ride, so I gave her one. It ended up all she wanted was to pick up pizza that she ordered at Pizza Hut. Of course, she didn't offer me any, not that I would have eaten it anyway since I'm a vegan. She also starts eating in the car, which I prefer people to not do. Then when we get to her house I tell her that while I was happy to help her out this time, I couldn't make a habit of it. She replied sarcastically, "Gee, thanks." I never heard from her again.

And this is just one of many stories of life in Tacoma. I tend to be leery of people that start talking to me. However, having my car complimented was a pleasant change! Now the 1968 200D fintail that I used to drive... that car got some looks.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+