News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

W116 Rarity

Started by Markz116, 15 January 2008, 03:38 PM

brettj

Mark,

Yes, I do believe that MB imported 450SE for general sale to dealers as well as on special order to be delivered here in the USA as my car was. You could also order your 450SE here and then pick the car up at the factory in Germany through the European order program. MB still offers that option today.

wonwon6

Hey Des, did you say Hobart!  are there any 116 kinda clubs or any Benz groups that occasionally take a drive on a weekend? i would like to meet some of the other enthusiasts on "gods own" island....

Des

Quote from: wonwon6 on 16 January 2008, 08:28 PM
Hey Des, did you say Hobart!  are there any 116 kinda clubs or any Benz groups that occasionally take a drive on a weekend? i would like to meet some of the other enthusiasts on "gods own" island....

yep I am in hobart
I don't know of any groups though, the Mercedes VIC/TAS club have events about once a year, that is all I know of,

would be good to catch up though and chat 116's

Martin 280s

I've just been commenting to another member,via PM, that once again there are more 6.9's for sale than any other W116 model.
Although this 280 is available:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-200-Series-1976-Mercedes-Benz-280S_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6329QQihZ018QQitemZ280201557720QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Could someone shed some light as to why this is so especially it they're supposed to the W116 to have?

In terms of rarity, I'd be content with a 350SEL with all the goodies ;D

116Benz

Quote from: Martin 280s on 20 February 2008, 07:18 AM
I've just been commenting to another member,via PM, that once again there are more 6.9's for sale than any other W116 model.
Could someone shed some light as to why this is so especially it they're supposed to the W116 to have?

Thats the one thats a bit rarer than a 6.9 too.

Martin 280s

Quote from: 116Benz on 20 February 2008, 07:23 AM
Quote from: Martin 280s on 20 February 2008, 07:18 AM

Thats the one thats a bit rarer than a 6.9 too.

Can you post the photo of the 350SEL I sent you the other day. I don't know how to upload pics here! 

116Benz

Inside? outside? which one?

116Benz

Here we go ppls!
Front

Interior (note the column shift)

Rear

Quite nice isnt it...

oscar

I never get sick of seeing a straight shining w116.  She's a beauty.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Martin 280s

Note that not only is she a 350SEL, she also has a column shift and leather pad in the centre console.
In the last pic, I'm just going around her and absolutely drooling!

s class

Quote from: Martin 280s on 20 February 2008, 10:29 AM
Note that not only is she a 350SEL, she also has a column shift and leather pad in the centre console.

Yep I noted those details - certainly this is about as rare and unusual as a 116 gets..

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

alabbasi

Quote from: Markz116 on 15 January 2008, 03:38 PM
In your opinion, what particular model of the W116 lineup do you think is the most rarely encountered?

For example, I see people littered all over this forum who drive 300SDs and 450SEL 6.9s, but scarcely see someone with a 450SE. People like WGB, alabbasi and of course Michel who have a majority of the models throughout the W116 lineup, ranging from the 280 to the 450SEL 6.9. The 450SE, however, I have yet to see more than a handful of people who own one.

A friend owned a 280S, it was rare but also quite rubbish. No offense to other 280S owners, this one was a real dog and I understood why he was not enthused to own it. Many W116's have hit that point in their life where they are just limping their way to a scrap yard.

The reason why you see so many 6.9 and SD owners on forum's ranting about their cars is because there are more enthusiasts that own 6.9's and SD (imho). The diesel guys are real fanatic about their Mercedes, if you go to a general MB forum, the diesel section is always the most active and most 6.9 owners today are enthusiasts. They have to be because the prices on these cars have bottomed out, yet we still pay top dollar to maintain them.

I really do believe that if I sell all of my cars, I could buy and maintain one very nice Ferrari 355 spider for the same cash that I lay out on all my other cars.

All said, i'm very impressed by the level of activity on from this forum, it really is impressive. I just wish that there were more members from my side of the world (Dallas, TX) that I can drink beer with and exchange parts.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Martin 280s

"A friend owned a 280S, it was rare but also quite rubbish. No offense to other 280S owners, this one was a real dog and I understood why he was not enthused to own it. Many W116's have hit that point in their life where they are just limping their way to a scrap yard"

Ali, no offense taken, said by one of the great defenders of the 280S :D

I think the problem here is that it was never properly maintained after the first owner. The Solex carb not helping either, that in itself needs a lot of dedication to get it right.
I love my 280s and have no aspirations to swap it for another of the W116 line-up, only add to!
However, I do maintain the car in tip-top condition. I regularly see 'new' cars which are on the second or third owner and are DOGS. Over here the Chevrolet (Opel) Omega is a prime example. When new, I had one then, it was the car to have, considered a top-class car, used by CEOs and Gov Officials etc. Nowadays, they are more like "Ghetto sharks" prowling around to the sound of poor quality rap music! A bit like a reverse Cinderella...from glamour queen to a pimp's whore.

brettj

My 75 450SE was ordered by my uncle with a column shift. He hated having the shift on the floor and always complained about how he couldn't get a column shift on his later Benz S class models. Personally, I like the column shift in the 450 as well. Without having the shift in the console, it gives me extra space to place stuff like my cell phone, pads of paper, pens and sometimes my wallet.