News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

w116 racing

Started by heksta, 08 July 2005, 04:23 AM

heksta

was there ever a racing version of the w116? remember seeing some photos some time ago. looking for photos

Mforcer

I don't believe there was any officially raced 116 but one was raced in a rally, details of that car can be found at http://www.mbspy.com/w116r.htm.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

john skene

There were two racing 116's that I know of, one (from memory) raced for 1 season only in Germany (by Waxenbergen?? who set up the original 6.3), and one in the USA that had rear tyres that were very, very, wide. There was a report a few years back in anm issue of the USA Clubs magazine.

Mforcer

I am going to search around for both of those but do you have any more details on those cars?
Michael
2006 B200

sd300

The 116 was designed with research benefitted from the C111.
It does drive very much like a sports car.
I bet most Mercs are very sporty handling in design.

I live 400 miles from Vancouver, I need to pass thru the fraser canyon, famous for her windy curves.
Yet last month I visited Van, I had my shortest driving time. I didn't drove fast , always 55-60 Mph. But the car was not tiresome at all, so i had shorter breaks. Arrive just as fresh as I left!

john skene

Just an update on the 116 I thought was racing in Germany. I was wrong in saying that as I have now found the details of the car, and it's the previous model, a 300SEL 6.3.

It seems the factory made only one of ther 6.3's for non factory use, and it was ordered by a private owner living in Finland, the price being roughly twice the standard 6.3's price.

While the works models were bored out to 6.9 litres, the article I have states that if a works driver used the Private car, MB actually swaped the bored out 6.9 for the 6.3 for duration of the race, replacing the 6.3 motor after the race for private racing.

Mforcer

Quote from: "sd300"The 116 was designed with research benefitted from the C111.
It does drive very much like a sports car.
I bet most Mercs are very sporty handling in design.

I live 400 miles from Vancouver, I need to pass thru the fraser canyon, famous for her windy curves.
Yet last month I visited Van, I had my shortest driving time. I didn't drove fast , always 55-60 Mph. But the car was not tiresome at all, so i had shorter breaks. Arrive just as fresh as I left!
This is one of the many aspects I love about these cars. They have great agility especially for such large cars and feel that they can be tossed around corners without any issues, all while remaining comfortable and effortless.
Michael
2006 B200