News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

W116 Purchase Prospect?

Started by roadroller, 28 July 2024, 08:36 AM

roadroller

Thanks for your insight, I may just go ahead and make an offer and then see what they come back with.  I know the brown w116 SD you're referring to that was for sale in Ottawa last winter - I went to look at it but was scared off by the wet floors beneath the carpets, plus there was no service history.  It looked great through and I couldn't see any rust so it may have been just fine.

Have you seen Colorado Beige in person?  If so, could you describe the colour - is it basically a lighter shade of brown or is there orange or pink in it?

daantjie

I highly suggest a thorough Pre Purchase Inspection before you commit.  This being an Eastern Canadian car I can guarantee you road salt has gotten into the undercarriage and likely underneath the undercoating you'll find rust especially in the wheel wells and rocker panels.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

roadroller

I'll try to get a PPI as long as I can find a knowledgeable mechanic nearby.  I see your point about rust and Eastern Ontario cars (this w116 is from Quebec, which is even worse), but if the car was never driven in the winter then it should be just as good as a Southern US car.

roadroller

I have a question about ground clearance and ride height.  I've read that this is a concern with the w116 since it sits very low to the ground and there is a long overhang at the rear, so it is liable to scrape against the ground, curbs, etc. when on an incline.  Is this true?  I saw on a specs website that the ground clearance is 6.3 inches, which is actually quite high for a sedan.

Neil4speed

Wanted to see what the update was! Are you the owner of this nice 300SD?