News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

W116 production line video

Started by Scotty, 11 April 2019, 12:28 AM

Scotty

Hello All

Just came upon this - it may have been shown herein many times before and if it has, apologies.

Mercedes S-class w116 production - plant in Sindelfingen 70th (youtube)

Complete with ubergroovy music and 70s production values - a classic film for a classic car.

My own 280SEL continues to provide sterling service though the tyres may need replacing soon as they are getting a bit old and Mrs Scotty claims it's a 'handful' in the wet, "sliding out at the rear at the slightest provocation"  Though this may be just her enthusiastic and individual style of driving.

A few W116s seem to be breaking cover in Australia and it's good to see them being found, fixed and used.

Is there any register anywhere that keeps  a count of  how many of the various iterations survive?

I've also had a rush of blood to the head and thought of doing a book on the W116 - not a technical one - but something either Australian based road trip style or a more glamorous design perspective type - or both - but I don't know. I've already got two others on the go but I suppose I could summon the energy and time should it also include various vineyard trips. There doesn't  seem to be many books on the W116 - such a shame for such an important car. A bit for the 6.9 of course.

I wish you all a Happy Easter

Scotty

BenzTragic

Love that video of the production line. Crazy to think that our cars came down that production line at some stage!

I've recently rescued a '77 450SE here in Sydney. Was originally owned by a lady in Rose Bay then sold to someone out here in Western Sydney whom didn't drive it much in the last couple of years. I'm the 3rd owner.

Current Mercedes
1977 W116 450SE
1988 W126 300SE
2001 W220 S430

Past Mercedes
1982 380SEL
1985 280SE