News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

W116 is 3rd most crashable car according to Practical Performance Classics

Started by adamb, 19 July 2011, 08:50 AM

adamb

The current edition features a pic of our beloved W116 involved in a collision with something else made in the 70s. It's a pic I've seen on this forum before. They do point out that it's no longer so strong by comparison to modern cars which have super strong safety cages and excellent crumple zones. Moreover most W116s are much weaker due to rust in key body areas.

Incidentally, the Hummer is number 1 which they say will drive away without from what most would regard as a serious collision.

Type17

Here's the shot, I presume - the other car is a Ford Capri Mk1 which would have been designed in the late 1960's, and was never regarded as a particularly tough, strong car, so this was a pretty unfair fight.

'76 350SE in Silver-Green

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Casey

I'm dying to know the 2nd and whatever else in in the list (top 10?)...

Big_Richard

Considering the LHD w116's were the first cars on earth to optionally offer a primitive version of the bosch abs systems that we all pretty much take for granted on all cars nowadays, I find it hard to believe anything else would be considered safer. Unless of course its some american car with those initial version lethal airbags.

Casey

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 26 July 2011, 06:06 PM
Considering the LHD w116's were the first cars on earth to optionally offer a primitive version of the bosch abs systems that we all pretty much take for granted on all cars nowadays, I find it hard to believe anything else would be considered safer. Unless of course its some american car with those initial version lethal airbags.

Not in the US though - I thought it would be quite neat to add an ABS option to my car but it's apparently so rare that that's nigh impossible.

Big_Richard

I'm sure with enoough spare time and a w126 donor car & wiring diagram someone could retrofit later abs into a w116  8)

haromaster87

Quote from: Raptelan on 27 July 2011, 11:56 AM
Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 26 July 2011, 06:06 PM

Not in the US though - I thought it would be quite neat to add an ABS option to my car but it's apparently so rare that that's nigh impossible.
lol I had the same thought a while back. I wish they could make like a universal ABS kit. Hook a few sensors up to your disc, put a module in line of the brake lines, a couple other things, and voila! Yes I'm aware how impractical and incorrect that is. But it would be nice!

Casey

Type17

Hmmm, not so good in a side impact, then...

(not really a reliable guide though, as we don't know the impact speed or what it hit/what it was hit by)

Big_Richard

that w116 looks like it was parked on a train level crossing  ::)

either that or its been hit by a very large truck traveling at high speed.

Although still, its still not quite as dented up as TJ's 6.9 was prior to us giving it a paint job.

Casey

Quote from: Type17 on 04 August 2011, 04:58 AM
(not really a reliable guide though, as we don't know the impact speed or what it hit/what it was hit by)

Sure wasn't a Ford.  Or an Opel.  I'd wager a train.  And look, the driver was fine. ;)

Type17

Quote from: Raptelan on 04 August 2011, 05:49 AMSure wasn't a Ford.  Or an Opel.  I'd wager a train.  And look, the driver was fine. ;)

Actually, I just looked at the URL of the image, and Googled the guy's name - Sepp Maier - He was a German Professional footballer (soccer player), and the (DUI) accident ended his career, although he did survive.