News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

w116 better as original or modified

Started by Francis, 11 March 2008, 12:58 AM

Do you think the W116 is better kept original or modified.

modify
8 (23.5%)
keep original
21 (61.8%)
drop on guts
1 (2.9%)
leave the old girl alone
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Francis

116Benz

I plan to modify the SE, wont be anything outlandish, but things like swap the rear seat backrest with headrests, extra timber on the console, bundt's, tint, sheepskins and CD.

OzBenzHead

I can't find a way of casting my vote in the poll - how to?  or where?  I've voted in them before, so am I having a senior moment or is there something amiss with the poll mechanism?

Anyway, my three cents' worth:

I'm happy to modify mine from its factory spec, but only so far as I can without resorting to non-M-B parts and materials. So, for example, my Crayford wagon, which originally had a D-Jet M110 but arrived without an engine, is getting a K-Jet M110, partly because that's what I have available and partly because I'm familiar with the utter reliability of the CIS (and hear too many bad stories about the D-Jet once it starts playing up). Of course, the Crayford is already seriously customised, but that's a different story, and not one I'm responsible for.

Also, I'd happily do a Steve and instal a different rear-seat backrest to incorporate headrests.

But I would not fit anything that couldn't have been fitted during the production run - in other words I wouldn't bastardise my Benzes.  They are Mercedes-Benzes or they are not; a mishmash of M-B, Fraud, Hold-on, or aftermarket stuff does not, to me, a Mercedes-Benz make - so much so that the $3000 audio system my son fitted to my W108 (as a "thank you" gift when I lent him that car for a month) came out in favour of a Becker of correct vintage.

What others do to / with their Benzes is entirely their business, but bastardisation is not for me.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

AMG69

totally agree - period correct MB is fine by me (and AMG ofcourse  ;D)....oh, but I would go so far as one of those new retro Becker Mexico's if I had a lazy $2000 lying around!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

pompy

I agree - originality gets me going.
I'm even reluctant to have a complete respray done.
I have considered replacing the period Mexico with one from a 126 - but even that would bug me.
The telescopic antenna has seized up and a new correct one ex-agent would cost somewhere in the region of ZAR 2 grand. I'll eventually get one - but no pirate for me as they are in any case too long and look out of place.
Just my 2 grand's worth.

Martin 280s

Like the others, I only accept period modifications using MB parts or at least accessories which were specifically available for the W116.

oscar

:'( I can't vote either, the poll's locked ??? EDIT I noticed polling's open, go forth, vote.

I love original.  But I keep modifying mine, albeit with period stuff.  I do like seeing good transformations though.  Even the crappy transformations can be interesting to look at.  But I can't go past an original as new w116 and not drool.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

alabbasi

I woudnt mind getting a Euro 450SEL (for the bumpers) and installing recaro seats up front, a modern climate control and navigation system and a 6 liter engine from a modern Pontiac GTO mated with a 6 speed gearbox and ABS and modern air suspension (not low rider style just for improved ride). That would make a nice daily driver.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Wolfgang Germany

@116benz

Extra timber on the console?

Like this?

Imho original is the best way in all cases. Long-term maintenance of value and best design.

116Benz

Kinda like that Wolfgang, on my SE, its not got zebrano around the A/C controls, the shifter and the ashtray, I've got the spare's to fix that problem, the only difficult part is that the SE hasnt got elec. windows, so thats going to be the hard part. Is that one of the new Becker Mexico's in the console and was the chrome selector surround difficult to fit?

oscar

Quote from: 116Benz on 12 March 2008, 08:09 PM
the only difficult part is that the SE hasnt got elec. windows, so thats going to be the hard part.

I've only seen one or two on ebay without switches except hole for the hazard switch.  They're bloody rare but were made.  I would've bought this one from Germany except the seller wouldn't accept paypal.  Can't remember how much it went for

Wolfgang, I love that interior.  I do wish someone would do a full wood steering wheel though.  I'll get one of those zebrano instrument clusters one day, but how about this one below?  ;D (I think I'd rather a tacho) but this one sold for $175AUD in Germany s couple of years ago.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

I'd like to know that too Michel, I mean that interior treatment above is just lovely IMO. I especially like the wheel. Really adds more class to the car I reckon.

As for me, original or modified, I generally like to keep a W116 original. However, I've recently kind of broken my own rule with my 350SE which I've started and plan to keep on modifying...HOWEVER, modified only with MB parts of more or less the same era.

My 280SEL will stay totally original however.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

116Benz

Quote from: oscar on 12 March 2008, 08:55 PM
Quote from: 116Benz on 12 March 2008, 08:09 PM
the only difficult part is that the SE hasnt got elec. windows, so thats going to be the hard part.

I've only seen one or two on ebay without switches except hole for the hazard switch.  They're bloody rare but were made.  I would've bought this one from Germany except the seller wouldn't accept paypal.  Can't remember how much it went for

Wolfgang, I love that interior.  I do wish someone would do a full wood steering wheel though.  I'll get one of those zebrano instrument clusters one day, but how about this one below?  ;D (I think I'd rather a tacho) but this one sold for $175AUD in Germany s couple of years ago.

Doncha love the Rolex clock? I spose when the Bentley has a Breitling time piece in the dash, it's only fitting to kit out the Benz in the same style.  ;D

Martin 280s

Is that wheel one from a W124 or w126 with the w116 pad? I saw one on e-bay this week!

That NEW Becker in the console is just gorgeous!!!!! Pity it's almost BrR$4,000!!!!!!!!

Wolfgang Germany

Yepp, that´s the new Becker Mexico with all the modern "schnickschnack".  ;)

I don´t know anything about the woodparts in this car, I know only the picture.  :-[