News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

W116 Barn find Aussie Custodian

Started by Lightyear, 17 March 2019, 04:55 AM

Lightyear

New member, new to MB ownership. I wanted an affordable weekend cruiser with chrome bumpers that didn't need a bunch of work as I have race cars, etc. Time and money are needed elsewhere. What I ended up with is a car from a deceased estate that was bought buy a neighbour that grew up 3 doors from the old lady. He recommissioned the car after it had sat for a coup,e of decades. First thing they did was replace the entire fuel system. Fuel tank, pump, filter, etc. Plugs, filters, etc went in, and the car started first time. The inside is like new, the outside is very good, but I want it perfect to match the inside. So may be painting it when I get around to it. I picked up the car and took it home on a trailer, 18hr round trip. The old guy took the key out of the ignition and put it in his pocket. Didn't realise until several hours later. We just had a weekend of perfect weather, and I couldn't even take her out for my first drive. :/

Lightyear

Lightyear

I mainly came on here to learn as much as possible about these cars. I am sure the car will need some time and money spent on it being 43 years old. I am not sure if I should leave it as is or do a couple of reversible mods like wheels and lowered springs. I wouldn't mind just cutting the coils a little. The wheels are a tough one. I like the hubcaps look, but prefer some 17's in the correct offset. Would be good to have the hubcap look recreated in a decent size.

Justin280s

Love it!  Was this the same car that was on eBay from South  Australia?
I love the the colour and  interior  combo.  Very jealous.

Justin280s

nathan

nice looking import!  personally against modding them but from others I've heard cutting the springs is a very bad option on the 116s as handling is craphouse after
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Eyeman

She's a beauty.  Paint, etc looks great from what I can see.  Eventually those wheels will like be valuable so you could even think in your mind that putting something aftermarket on would be a way to preserve those.  I have 16 inch Ronals then Lorinsers I think in my thread a few back (Crazy 6.9).  Your car would look very cool with red Ronals to me.
1963 190SL(project)
1977 6.9 (Euro)
1994 Porsche 968 Cabriolet
1994 Porsche 968 Coupe
2008 BMW 135
2017 AMG GTS

Lightyear

Yep, bought it from crazy Garrie in Adelaide. The key should be here today, so I can finally drive it.

Lightyear

He said this car was bought as a tourist visa or whatever it's called. Back in the day you could buy a Merc, fly to Europe and have a holiday, then ship it back to Australia as a used car.

Peter

Congrats that look like a beauty, love the Red. Cheers

Lightyear

I couldn't wait for the key, so took the wheels off whilst it was on the trailer. Not easy. But the car looks better already. I also polished all the brightwork.

Lightyear

The keys finally turned up after 7 days. I drive it off the trailer for the first time, put all the windows down, and went for a drive. It drives very well, no vibrations or rattles. Very comfortable, and you could almost use it everyday. I picked up the kids from school, did some shopping, cruised down the motorway. It was good.

rumb

Is it just me?  I dont see any pictures or even a indication that there are pictures when I view this thread.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

revilla

pics are there, you have an issue with your browser.

beautiful specimen Lightyear, enjoy it

rumb

Not sure what I did, but now can see!

great looking car, I love the fabric seats!
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio