News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

W116 AMG Models

Started by Markz116, 02 February 2008, 11:57 PM

Markz116

Can someone please explain to me in detail the W116 AMG models?

I'm having trouble determining whether there were actual production AMGs or not, or if all the AMG badges I've seen were just added on.

To add to that, I've never read up about there ever being AMG-tuned W116s, and can't find much information on them if any.

I keep repetitively seeing pictures of W116s with AMG badges on the trunklid, and AMG steering wheels and such. Can someone shed some light on this mysterious (to me, at least) topic?

WGB

There were no true "Factory Produced" AMG models as such as AMG was an independant tuner with factory support.

There is an option code - 991 ( S Class owns one with this) where the car was removed from the line and sent to AMG for extra work to be done before being completed and dispatched. This is as close to a factory model as you can find and the work varied depending on what the customer ordered.

The extra work could be body add-ons, wheels, interior changes with seats and steering wheels and there was also options such as larger tuned engines and different diffs.

I have a copy of their brochure and it runs to many pages if your pockets are deep enough.

As far as I know all modifications could be purchased after delivery as well but some may have required the car to return to Germany for major work.

Apparently they made a tuned 7.2 litre for the performance deprived.

Bill

WGB

No - sorry Michel, not for sale.

Chris gave it to me with the 6.9 and appears to date from the mid to late 80's.

It deals much more with 126, 107, 201 and 124's but does include 116 body parts, diffs and a few other bits and is a very comprehensive period catalogue consisting of various subsystems - body, motor, trim colours, interiors etc in separate brochures combined in an outer folder.

Unfortunately no mention is made the M-100 motor - it is all later stuff with various versions of the M 117 including 6 litre with four valve heads as well as the smaller motors - 4 and 6 cylinders.

Bill

500eguy

Bill,

would you be interested in Photocopying the book?

WGB

It's not a book but a collection of small booklets and several photo's (Mainly 124's) in an outer folding cardboard holder.

I could probably PDF it if anyone is interested but a bit short on time at the present.

Send me a PM with e-mail and I'll see what happens when I PDF it just in case the file is too big.

All the 116 information is already here in the library.

Bill

John Hubertz

Please PLEASE could you investigate the cost to transfer this into files that are accessible like the other manuals, articles and materials on this site?  Needs to be placed into servers so it is not lost to our children and grandchildren in the 116 "family".

I'll volunteer to chip in $
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

WGB

Not up to me what goes in the library but I will PDF it if there is enough interest - even if it has to be in Black and white or abridged to keep it down to an e-mailable size.

I say again - the 116 information is already in the library here with the appropriate AMG part nos.

Bill

AMG69

I need to step in and back Bill up here - all this info is already in the Library;  ;)
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

John Hubertz

Not to hijack, but could EVERYONE who has a picture of a 116 AMG or Lorinser etc please post it?

I'd like a definitive source for true vintage tuner style - as I know I'd like to (and perhaps others) eventually create a proper clone.

Here's my favorite of course:

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Mforcer

Don't forget, the MB Classic Center has an AMG 6.9 for sale (or at least did) that has been displayed at numerous shows. There are numerous photos of that car in the gallery, taken when I had the good fortune to see it in the flesh.

One of my favourite AMG appearance mods was the chrome painted body-color or black. I think they look great painted black.

Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

alabbasi

Talking about Lorinser, I have a set of Lorinser wheels that I picked up over Christmas with decent 235/50/16 tires. They were on a 450SL that was at my friend David's shop. A dealer owned the car and wanted to turn it back to original before selling it. So I made an even trade for a set of 14 inch bundt alloys that I had spare.

The could do with a bit of finishing but all in all they are pretty nice wheels.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

AMG69

One of the Adelaide guys should take some photos of the green 6.9 in Adelaide (Tusmore??) that has all the chrome painted black; it looks sensational.
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!