News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

w116 500se?

Started by oscar, 23 August 2006, 11:15 AM

oscar

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

Brian Crump

Des; you are too polite.
Once when my 450 was giving me grief I decided I would be sensible and buy a new Holden wagon. I cured my sickness by sitting in one at the dealership. My heart sank at the acres of bland grey plastic and nylon carpets. My back ached with the foam rubber and velour seats. My mind was numbed by the scattered controls. My psyche was blasted by the drivel from the salesman. And that was before I started the asthmatic engine......
So; a 450 with a Holden V8. Not a pretty sight/sound/experience. Who will buy such an abomination?
Meanwhile my little family of Benz grows - 450SE/ML320/230E and now the CLK350. Much more satisfying.
Regards,
Brian

oscar

I'm a bit of a fence sitter on this one.  When I read that a GMH lion was packed underneath I nearly closed the window.  But I've gone from being a deadset purist to allow some modification for the better,-  I hope. 

I wouldn't exchange the motor, it's tantamount to soul swapping.  But if I had a collection of mercs, there'd be room there for an experiment like this, so long as a stock standard 450 lay waiting nearby.

My current dilemma with mods is knowing when to stop.  I'm in two minds about my grill upgrade although painting's complete.  My biggest fear for my car is if mods lead to pimping, leads to gangster-skippy suspension etc, etc. 
It would turn a few heads though wouldn't it. :D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Oscar,

I know we all have our tastes but that W109 is just sad.  It is such a diginfied car that deserves better than that.  Well I suppose at least its on the road and not in the scrapyard.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL