News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

UPDATE! Another one for the collection!

Started by 116Benz, 28 July 2007, 02:55 AM

116Benz

Well, the final installment of W116 rescue, has been completed. The 280SEL arrived on the back of a truck last night at about 9pm (this time parents knew!). Prognosis is good, although the more I look at it, the more I think the stripes HAVE TO GO, thing is, the PO painted them on (using 100 MPH tape as a border) with what looks like thick layers of black paint. The interior has been used as a recycling bin with stains gallore on the inside, the sunroof works (a bit jerky, but it works), the timber around the p/window switches/gearlever has cracked, the rear drivers side window doesnt work (switch). The boot lid looks like its been maladjusted (locks, opens/shuts) it doesnt have any tell tale signs of water ingress. The engine bay is filthy with a capital F, theres going to be more than 2 cans of degreaser used there. Theres 2 spots of rust that I can see, 1 spot at the front LH corner of the sunroof, and a spot on the inside of the pass. door on the bottom corner (the blue one has the same, only a tad worse).
ANYWAY, without further ado- the pictures!

Eventually, a set of bundts are going on one of them (or both, depending on price, and how much is going to be left in the piggy bank after repairs)

Brian Crump

You're a BRAVE man 116Benz!!!!
I hope you have a wonderful time. ;D
Regards,
BC

116Benz

BC,
Not only brave, but judging by the state of the carpets's, due for a teatnus shot before the job starts  :D

oscar

:D

I wondered how good those stripes were. 

A lot of cleaning sure, but I couldn't help notice how straight things seem to be.  And the interior looks in good nic despite the grime.  Am I right?

Have you driven it up and down the driveway yet?  How does she go??
1973 350SE, my first & fave

116Benz

Well,
its got a little bit of start up smoke, theres no caramel milkshake to be seen, the interior is pretty tidy, theres 1 rip in the drivers seat about 5 cm's long (it looks like something snagged on the trim and ripped, will be covered with seatcovers). The alternator is stuffed, so the battery (battery out of the SE, wasnt that great to begin with) didnt last long when I dropped it into gear (no clunks!) and promptly passed out. Panel wise its really really good, paint is a bit chalky so its going to need a polish. The stripes? hmmmmm how to describe it? imagine someone has used the 100 mph tape as an outline and then used some fiddly bits to colour it in without being worried about going outside the lines, I was told to be thankful that he didnt do the roof in the matching pattern, to which, I am grateful! ;D
I think by the end of the week....there should be a vast improvement. Oh and I spotted what looks like a slight seep in the radiator core as well (got a spare one of those, thanks to robertd)

mirafioriman

My first Mercedes (a W123 230E) had a similar condition interior, it was black! Actually it was beige but very dirty. My top tip is this, take out all the carpets and take them to a hot pressure washer. Hot wash them and give them a good scrub with carpet shampoo. Then use a wet hoover to suck out most of the water and leave to dry. Mine came up like new, an unbelievable difference. The carpets in these older benz were good quality and can be cleaned really effectively.
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

116Benz

Quote from: mirafioriman on 28 July 2007, 03:04 PM
My first Mercedes (a W123 230E) had a similar condition interior, it was black! Actually it was beige but very dirty. My top tip is this, take out all the carpets and take them to a hot pressure washer. Hot wash them and give them a good scrub with carpet shampoo. Then use a wet hoover to suck out most of the water and leave to dry. Mine came up like new, an unbelievable difference. The carpets in these older benz were good quality and can be cleaned really effectively.

Thats part of the plan, the other good thing is that most of the work is manual labour, The other good thing is that the parents have a high pressure cleaner, 2 huge water tanks (1 alone for the cars) + town water is only on level 3 (hand held usable)

James R

Noticed the glove box lid has bowed. Is there a car out there that hasn't. Bloody annoying.
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

116Benz

OK, so I had a chance to go over the car a bit more and have a poke around to see what was good and bad...Good news first, the books are pretty good and not to far out of date. the seats are pretty good (drivers seat is kinda torn on the bolster closest to the door) and I found some loose change, the car is now $2 cheaper to purchase, and the boot is really really clean  ;D....Now the not so good...the carpets are mouldy (these would do justice as a wobble board theyre that bad)..from what looks like a large amount liquid being spilt over the carpets, the console carpet has had, what I would describe as a Mars bar drip on it, and the seat slide adjustment levers are both either missing or broken off the seats. Theres surface rust on the back seat base frame where it comes into contact with the sound deadening on the floor, I have to have another look at the boot, I could see where there was an adjustment needed, but that hasnt fixed the problem. OH and theres 2 x 50c sized rust holes on the inner skins of both front doors. I'm not so angry about the car, but the condition to which it was left in, I was always bought up that when you look after something it lasts just that bit longer. meh...I need to go read a book.... >:(

oscar

Chin up. 
It wouldn't surprise me that despite the spills, water is leaking inside.  It happens to almost everybody.  If the carpets are intact, though stiff, they're still salvageable IMO.  You just need to remove them and keep them out of the car, not only till you get them cleaned, but so moisture doesn't linger or get trapped anymore between carpets and footwells.  Find out where the water is coming from first and fix that problem.
My original carpets fell apart and got thrown out thanks to lots and lots of water damage.  My current carpets are from a later model 280.  Before our Bowral drive I doused them and scrubbed them and dried them in one day by putting them in front of a gas fan heater (not radiant).  They dried, came up brilliantly (were caked in mud before) and most importantly, they didn't stink.  That's what will happen once they start soaking up water and don't get a chance to dry.

Shame about the tear in the seat.  I developed a crack in the same spot a couple of years ago which a month ago turned into a big flap of loose MBTex.  Mcgyver tape looks too uncool.  Nothing can be done apart from replacement one day.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

116Benz

I'm not that bothered about the seat, its tex and repairable (would do the seat cover thing in the interim). I'm going to use your guide Oscar, about tracing the leak. I wouldnt be surprised if its from the back window as well (no leaks in the boot though). It's a patience thing, that I dont have.

s class

Well done.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this interior come up clean.  Looks like birds have been at it!

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

116Benz

Mars bar eating birds, some of the stains brushed out...theres some that are going to need some serious scrubbing!

Martin 280s

Pity, I couldn't be there to help you clean it up. When I got both of my cars they were in a desparate need of cleaning. I spent the best part of a day just to clean the engine bay on the W108 the the rest to get the rubbish out of the boot :o!

One thing I enjoy is cleaning cars, or car bits, I find it quite relaxing. You should ask my friend (Marcello)'s wife. Marcello and I spent the day washing and polishing chrome pieces from his W108 on the living room floor while Flávia, his wife, prepared lunch then afternoon tea :).

116Benz

Quote from: Martin 280s on 31 July 2007, 05:03 PM
Pity, I couldn't be there to help you clean it up. When I got both of my cars they were in a desparate need of cleaning. I spent the best part of a day just to clean the engine bay on the W108 the the rest to get the rubbish out of the boot :o!

One thing I enjoy is cleaning cars, or car bits, I find it quite relaxing. You should ask my friend (Marcello)'s wife. Marcello and I spent the day washing and polishing chrome pieces from his W108 on the living room floor while Flávia, his wife, prepared lunch then afternoon tea :).

Does she have a brother that could listen to my frustration based whinging?  :D