News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Unique Cars magazine

Started by AMG69, 06 November 2011, 04:52 PM

AMG69

Noticed the letters page includes one from Mark McKay (where is he, Sydney was it?) re 6.9's - asking "Captain Conrod" (!) why he thinks they dont get more respect as a classic car. CC seems to be more a fan of the 6.3 (having owned the same car twice) and queried 3 speed box (and resultant acceleration loss compared to a 6.3 with 4 speed0 as a major contributor. Anyway worth a read if you are flicking through at the newsagent....
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

TJ 450

I read that article, and as usual it has its errors, but it was good to read nonetheless.

I agree, an extra ratio would have been good, but it would have been questionable whether or not it was really needed... The extra expense would have been a factor, as well as the fact that it is just a beefed up version of the existing three speed.

I reckon a nice overdrive unit would have been better used. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

contrary to popular opinion, i think the 3 speed box is more than adequate for the 6.9.

if you want something with a 10:1 first gear ratio that red lines at 20km/h offering the illusion of power, buy a commodore.  ::)

TJ 450

That's it MT, plus if the first gear was short (like on the 126), it would be rather annoying... Red lining at "40km/h" with the lag of a shift going into second, by which time you've only gained a few metres. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

when you have large cubes at your absolute discretion under your right foot you don't need a 6+ speed auto to take off and get upto speed.

I wonder what the real difference would be with a 6.9 bolted to a 6 speed manual in terms of 0-100..

WGB

My 6.9 can break traction if more than half throttle is used on a dry road.

On a wet road extreme care is needed - this is all pre-traction control

The thought of a shorter first gear is frankly a bit frightening - on a healthy euro 6.9 anyway.

On the other hand a taller top gear would make for a more relaxed cruise.

Bill