News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

UK w116 people

Started by Will, 29 August 2010, 01:17 PM

Will

Hi guys, I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now since buying my first w116, a 280sel, imported to the UK from Australia, via France, it would seem... Anyway, its in pretty poor shape, but I picked up a few tips on getting it to run a bit better (thanks everyone!), and now at least it doesn't stall so often.  To be honest, I think it is dying a slow death, because it is leaking water all over the place, so the interior is always damp with our climate, and most of the panels have some degree of rust. Regardless of that, it's such a cool car to drive, even the way it looks now!

Anyway, the point of my post was really to ask if there are any other UK members on here? I have already met a few people, but we do seem a bit in the minority ;-) I guess you don't see too many w116s in the UK, but somebody has a really nice 450se not far from me, and I often see an absolutely amazing dark blue 6.9 drive past my office in London...so there must be people out there!

chrisp

Hi Will,

I'm afraid I've done the opposite of your w116: left the UK for Australia. I'm sure there are some more w116 owners in Britain lurking on the forum though.

Cheers,

Chris

Will

Hey Chris, well, if you are still into w116s, Australia certainly seems to be the place to go!

Cheers,
Will

bronzy935

Hi Chris, I keep a 6.9 in Camberley, Surrey.
PM me if you want to get together to compare rust.

Whoops! That should read Hi Will.

Type17

I've just bought a W116 (1976 350 SE) and signed on here (this is my first post).
It's a UK car, registered in Hertfordshire and was owned by its first owner from new until his death in 2004. It then lay unused in the garage until the owner's widow died in 2008, when it was bought by the surveyor who was assessing the house for probate. He recommissioned it (new fuel pump and metering head, exhaust, and rear discs, etc) and drove it a bit for a year or so, until I bought it last month.
It is very original, and only has 31,000 miles on it (lots of old MOTs and receipts to prove the mileage).

I'll be on here a bit more in the future, gleaning hints and tips to maintain it as it is today, and sharing knowledge as I gain it...

'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Mforcer

That is a beautiful looking car! Great buy!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Big_Richard

awesome find.

A w116 with that little use and k's on the clock would be a pleasure to own and drive. It must be like a new car.

any pictures under the bonnet?

Those tires look like they are original specification too, hopefully not the original as they'd be dangerously hard by now.

EDZ649

Hi Will, I'm located in East Sussex. I have two 450SEL's, one is a donor car for the running restoration project.

Leigh.

KenM

That's remarkable, it's truly a reference for what these cars looked like when brand new, what a fantastic find. I think I'm as green as your cool interior.

Will

Hey Leigh,

I was down in your neck of the woods over the weekend actually, although not in the 116 sadly...

I agree with the others, that's a really nice looking car you have there Type17!

Somebody saw my car in the drive last week, knocked on the door to have a look, and later called to offer me £700 for it - I'm in two minds whether to take it as I know mine will never look that good...

EDZ649

Will, keep in touch with me as I'm breaking the other SEL. Not sure what bits you may need but it's got a very very nice dark velour interior amongst other things.

I have some spare doors, baroque wheels, boot lid, bonnet too.

pompy

Wow, that is beeeyoutiful!
I love the colours.
Everything is so crisp and sumptious.
I'll bet that motor is still just as crisp.

So, when are you putting it up for sale?? ;D

Type17

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 05 September 2010, 06:56 PM
...any pictures under the bonnet?

Those tires look like they are original specification too, hopefully not the original as they'd be dangerously hard by now.

Yes, here's a shot of the engine bay

You're not wrong about the tyres - they were Michelin XVS's and, while they weren't the factory ones, they were from week 30, 1986(!), and one of them exploded on the M6 at 70 MPH (note the skidmarks in the photo), causing some wing, valance and sill damage, although this was an area of the bodywork that needed attention anyway (the body is amazingly good, but not 100% perfect - today, I brought it to this guy to do the repairs and clean and seal the underbody.

TJ 450

That was bound to happen. Lucky you and the car survived... that's always a good outcome. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Type17

It was lucky thing - traffic was light and the road dry - at other times in the journey, I was surrounded by trucks and cars in driving rain  :o

Tyres have since been replaced by brand new Vredestein Classics...