News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Towing the new double axle Horse Float with the 6.9

Started by AMG69, 17 June 2007, 06:20 AM

AMG69

Thought I'd update everyone now I have towed the "Taylor" Horse float a number of times behind the 6.9; its a double axle, dual horse float; weighs 950Kg empty; say 1600kg with one horse; we have had no problems what so ever with effortless torque making short work of towing and no slipping even when reversing last week on a cold wet morning on grass. Everyone else at the event had a 4WD and they ALL asked about the "old Merc"; All were stunned to know it had a 6.9 - they all assumed it was an old 4.5! Needless to say they were impressed and I noted more than one long "considering stare" from a Nissan Patrol / Lancruiser owner (especially when we left - trying catching a 6.9 in a diesel Patrol).

Fuel Consumption? Oh Yes - it consumes fuel alright ....... ;D
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

nathan

i want to hear your first story of dragging a car off atthe lights - with the horsefloat!!

i will forgive you for not going pastthe 60kmh speed if constable wife is in the car!
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Des

That's a lot of weight!
I would be worried about the doors and chassis being pulled ever so slightly out of alignment

what is the max weight you are supposed to tow with these?

Nutz

WTF is a horsefloat  ???

Edit: Nevermind,googled it.

AMG69

1600kg? nah, I spoke with a guy in the East that used his 6.9 for years towing more than that - no problems at all.

oscar

Quote from: Nutz on 17 June 2007, 08:19 PM
WTF is a horsefloat  ???

Edit: Nevermind,googled it.

Is this what you found? :D

Ok, so what do you guys call these?

Good to hear the beast handled the load AMG69.  Basically, a car on a trailer like my avatar would weigh more don't you think?  1800kg car plus trailer.  The poor 350 laboured that day, and it only did 3km as I had to swap prime movers when I got back in town.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

Agreed!! And our horse float is a "budget" model - not as nice as the one in the photo and not as long / heavy either.  Ours is a restored old wooden (jarrah) sided version.

AMG69

ha! Good one Styria!!

Needless to say 286 horse power eats more "hay" too....

AMG69

Styria, you know me well enough to know if I had rebuilt the Euro 6.9 to 7.3 litres EVERYONE on this website would know about it by now!!!!!! ;D 

No, just wishful thinking....!

I'm saving up for the new leather interior now - my aim is to have that done pre the big M100 "Convention" in Australia in Sept 2008.  I'm thinking of shipping car to Sydney (train) next August; leaving it with you and Parks to weave your magic and then join the M100 International Group in their departure from Sydney; sounds like a plan???!!!!