News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Towing behind a 6.9

Started by AMG69, 12 November 2006, 10:29 PM

AMG69

Any experts out there on this topic (specifically 6.9)? Wifey is getting back into horseriding so (1) I am seeing my bank about probably 2nd mortgage (!) and (2) curious as to whether my 6.9 is an appropriate vehicle for occasional (say 6-8 times a year) towing of single horse float; Our ML320 is probably going soon and I was hoping to avoid buying another four wheel drive. So, question is can a 6.9 suspension handle a single horse float on occasion? I would certainly have no qualms in fitting what Down Under we call a "Hayman Reese" hitch with full frame to distribute weight safely.

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/index.htm
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

Chris I have the original 6.9 sales brochure and it says that the 6.9 can tow a maxium of:

1200kgs with breaks
750kgs without

fine print; The weights quoted are maximum weights. valid within the Federal Republic of Germany, in other countries different figures may apply.

AMG69

hmmm. I suspect the hydropneumatic suspenion isnt designed for heavy towing. Shame, 550NM of torque would have made light work of a horse float!

oscar

Out of curiosity, what rating does a horse float need?  Any idea what the weak point in the 6.9 suspension would be if overloaded?

In jjccp's thread a while back on hitches, I said how my car in it's former life was a workhorse that towed everything from furniture to cattle to heavy farm machinery like deep ripping ploughs all on a 8x6' dual axle trailer.  I don't know which would've been the heavier load, but as an eg I remember my dad taking 6 heifers of at least 250kg each to saleyards.  With the weight of the trailer, that's well over 3000kg.  Still have original struts.

I know my hydro suspension is different to yours in that it has springs as well as struts, but keep in mind a horse float by far takes most of it's weight and load on its dual axles, not on your tow ball.  Also your lateral load on the towbar and ball is reduced during braking because of the auxillary electric or compression braking of your float, and as for acceleration, I'm sure you not gonna risk making your wife's horse car sick.

BTW, I have a Hayman-Reese bar that looks exactly like the ones I see on some cars for sale on the net.  Just not to sure if they make them anymore. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

Oscar, I've now been advised on m100 site that Rob Fulton (m1oo owner) has also towed alot with a 6.9 so seems you are not the only one (well yoru car isnt); so, I think I might get my local m100m "wrench" to advise on a trans cooler and set the car up.....it would sure be useful!