News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Tool library?

Started by KenM, 01 January 2011, 04:43 AM

KenM

Chaps,

I do believe that I have just had an original thought, maybe not a great one but it's all mine nevertheless.

Has anybody got a tool library happening? I don't mean obviously a shed full of goodies sitting on shelving but have we got a knowledge base of who has what tools and would be willing to lend them out?

My thinking is that since our wonderful cars often require a bizarre and seldom used tool for a particular task, it could save some folks a bit of cash if they could use a tool and return it, rather than outlay money for something

they may never use again. I'm thinking that if somebody who has a tool and is willing to loan it out to forum members then this could work to help somebody else finish that tricky task.

I imagine that anybody who has a tool they are willing to loan out could register the details here and then if somebody wanted to use the tool it would be up to the lender and the lendee to work out postage, replacement

arrangements if something goes wrong etc. I fully understand that many people if not most would be reluctant to lend out expensive or rare tools to somebody they may not have met, and freight costs could be a bummer for

a largish chunk of steel but I just thought I would put this out there to see if anybody has an opinion?

No doubt this already goes on between folks who are geographically close to each other and this may be the only way this sort of thing could work, and unfortunately I have nothing special to offer but thought I might pose

the question anyway.   

Ken

thysonsacclaim

I think it sound great. Maybe there should be a disclaimer for the 116 that all lending is done between the two parties and that certain requirements must be met (aka paypal or similar account, etc).

Another idea, similar to but different than yours would be some sort of tool database. There are some strange ones I cam across, and due to the large body of English speakers, they often have different colloquial names for the same tool.

So perhaps a Mercedes Tool Wiki?

Big_Richard

Among some of us there are (combined) enough tools to do absolutley anything on these cars.

The problem arises with getting to the post office and queuing up to send them off it can be quite an irritating process. Also for safety reasons one would need to expect a reasonable deposit payed that would cover the tool should it not get returned.

It has worked and continues to do so in a local sense we know each other more than just text on a screen and no postage is required ;)

UTn_boy

Hi all. I think that this a great idea.  If any of you are familiar with the Mercedes-Benz Club of America, the technical director, George Murphy, does this same thing....lending tools and literature out.  It works quite well.  I am curious, though, does anybody on this forum have the original tester set up for the Automatic climate control?  Having that could save so much time, not to mention fun to use!
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

KenM

Adam,

Good idea for the database, there are quite a few different tools available, but what's a wiki? I was thinking of an excel spreadsheet, or is that so last year?

WGB

I think between us guys in Western Australia there is not much that we don't have or potentially have access to (Unfortunately I have lost my contact at Diesel Motors) but tools with me are generally the third thing (after wife and fountain pen ;D) that rarely leave my side but I am pleased to say that among the locals they have always come back home after a lend.

We don't have the US auto airconditioning tester but then we don't get the cars fitted with them either.

Not so sure I would be willing to post any of my tools away though many of then came from the US when our dollar was nearer 62 cents and postage was nearer $200 US and took a lot of trawling through Vendors sites and Ebay stores.

Bill

thysonsacclaim

Quote from: KenM on 03 January 2011, 04:36 AM
Adam,

Good idea for the database, there are quite a few different tools available, but what's a wiki? I was thinking of an excel spreadsheet, or is that so last year?

Ken,

A wiki is web driven application which is similar to Wikipedia in how it works. The reason I suggest it is that all of us could collaborate, independently or together to contribute to the information. This would, however, require the Admin to install some version/distribution of Wiki software. However, after it is all set up, it can be run with little attention as long as it can be edited only by logged in users. That way, it can't be trashed.

So while I do love forums and BBS software and even Excel (I use it a lot for tracking stats), a Wiki is more suitable for the needs of a large database for information. We can dynamically edit mistakes, add information and share uses and ideas. You can create sections and upload pictures. For example, you could have a description of the tool, followed by picture, then a section about uses and precautions for using that tool. You could even write a section for availability: who sells it and so on.

I may be somewhat bias towards this idea of using a wiki. I love Open Source software and anything which promotes freedom to share information and ideas (provided it is ethical). I'm an avid user of linux and write, edit and use Open Source software. I believe that things like Google, Wikipedia, Forums, etc promote and encourage the sharing of ideas and information. And I like that. I'm fairly certain most people would agree that these things are as big as or bigger than their earlier counterparts, like the Dictionary, Encyclopaedia, or even the Gutenberg printing press.

Anyway, sorry for the run on. I had actually contemplated doing this before, however not limited to a Mercedes tool wiki. Having said that, though, if the idea is to be taken seriously, I would like to see what Admin thinks about it. If they don't want to, I would be willing lend my web space to create one on another domain (if it would be beneficial and if it was desired). Either way, I like the idea and would contribute to it.

The wiki Software:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Quote from: WGB on 03 January 2011, 07:34 AM
Not so sure I would be willing to post any of my tools away though many of then came from the US when our dollar was nearer 62 cents and postage was nearer $200 US and took a lot of trawling through Vendors sites and Ebay stores.

Bill

Bill,

I don't blame you at all. I have a few expensive ones myself. Not all of them are 'car' tools, some are odd ball instruments or lab equipment which is also fairly expensive. I keep antique or old medical instruments and dissection kits, which though rarely or never used, I would be hard pressed to lend out. I have a similar issue with books, esp old, out of print books which have as of yet not been put on the internet.

I think, though, it would be easier to create a thread with sections of locales (for example, US, AU, ZA, UK, etc) or even further by State / area / Province (east coast, west coast, Queensland, Florida, Limpopo, et al). That would make it easier to do local or at least intra-country lending. Obviously shipping would be an issue otherwise, and I think it's easier/safer to lend to someone who lives 300 miles away as opposed to 3,000. BUT, I haven't any idea as to the actual population of the forum to know if it would be worth the work to undertake such a thing.

The idea, though, is great and reminds me a bit of Craigslist.

admin

thysonsacclaim

You, sir, are the bomb  :D

WGB

One of the perpetual whinges I have had is that several of the members (myself included) have over the years made efforts to photograph and document our work when performing repairs major and minor. Some of these efforts have taken some time to prepare and edit and then after a few days and a few comments they get lost as no-one ever does a search and you find th same questions being asked by newcomers.

If a Wiki will allow us to index much of the information we already have  and become visible for those who follow (and ourselves as we become more forgetful) I would be thrilled to add my bit.

I think it is also a good time to recognise the many years of work and effort that Mforcer has put in to develop this site and to index some of what we already have.

Bill

TJ 450

The Wiki is a great idea for sure. Once established, it would be very useful.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

Bill,

Indeed. I am guilty as charged for bringing up an old topic. I distinctly remember something about a timing chain post, and then coming to find your Timing Chain post  :D

As far as information goes, well we already have a bunch of it. I always enjoy reading your posts, for example, as well as those of others. But, you may have already done a detailed job of installing the timing chain, whereas another person might have a nice post on cleaning the fuel tank.

With a little effort, we could simply copy and paste these posts into the wiki and label them as "How tos," or something similar. That would add a bit more detail than just the tools wiki, but I think it would be pretty neat. Seeing as how we could all edit and 'evolve' the document, we could take an original post (say by you), post it into the wiki and edit or add to it if needed.

Obviously we also have the Mercedes manual, but sometimes it lacks the tips and tricks that you guys have learned from years of working on these cars. I am very new to this, and I find looking at your personal experiences is much more helpful. If these posts were put into the wiki, you could direct the new users to the link showing "How to Install timing Chain," with your pictures, information, etc there. Better yet, they could search the wiki themselves. The thing that makes it nice is that in the wiki, there would only be one copy of "How to Install timing Chain." If anything needed to be added to your post, one of us could simply edit the item and save it.

As per W116 and the Admin, I am very glad I found this web site and that it is so well taken care of. Had I not been able to find such a wealth of information, I would have been in a much harder place than I am now. I truly think W116 has enabled me to keep the car I wanted, because I will know what to do on it and how to do it.

KenM

So this wiki is just like a wikipedia but only for the org? Sounds like a top idea, much better than a boring old excel spreadsheet, cool as!!

I have had Bill's timing chain post printed out and hanging up above the car under the house for a long while now, used it many times (copyright?? :o) so it is much appreciated, if we can get a resource that will allow people to

find gems of info like this with ease it will be a major benefit. The manuals are informative but come at you from the angle of you being fully aware of what they are on about and also that you know all the little tricks and don't

need to be told, so a central knowledge base of info like this and people's experiences is sure to be invaluable.

Cheers,