News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Today I proved conclusively that my fuel warning light does not work.

Started by flutes, 16 February 2011, 11:29 PM

flutes

And I proved this on George St in the middle of the Sydney CBD, at around lunch time.

(My first post in a while - hey everyone)
Matt
1977 450SEL

calvin streeting

opps.... :)

I recon you can test the two halfs, first remove the plug from the fuel sender and short the wires to see if the warning light comes on. and second remove the sender to see if it sends the right single..

not sure which wires, would have to look in the service manual wireing diag.

Big_Richard

wow - how embarrassment

I use a 2 fold attack - I reset the trip meter at every tank fillup so i know how many k's till im in the danger zone and never proceed into it  ::)

My fuel sender currently is satisfactory, though at just under half way the needle goes mental so i think theres a dead spot developing.  At 1/3rd mark it settles down again.

I've only ever run out of fuel once in my life, and that was in my first car, because i was a pov and couldnt afford to buy fuel - Farther dearest allowed me to use what was left in the lawnmower can to get me home :)

TJ 450

Running out of fuel is not cool... if I recall correctly, I've only done it once, but have come close on a few occasions.

My reserve light comes on frequently, because I only fill the 6.9 up when I'm going to drive it, normally. It has a half tank at the moment though.

Unfortunately, there isn't a test mode for the light, so the only way of knowing if it works is to run the tank right down.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

nathan

that is very sad indeed.  nothing worse than suffering such inglorious episodes in front of the masses.
i too have only done this once, in my wifes former craphole ford laser which didnt have a working gauge!

im with MT here, reset the odo on every tank so you know how much you have. i fyou dont fill your tank up everytime, this is your fault! :D
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

flutes

Embarrassment indeed.  Can't remember having run out of fuel since broke university days...

Absolutely my own dumb fault, as I haven't gotten around to fixing my speedo cable yet so odo reading wasn't helpful.  I was thinking to myself "it's been an unusually long time since I've filled the tank up".  I do like to run the tank right down and refill completely but this was going a little too far.

Also making it interesting - I was blocking traffic about 3 metres before a bus stop, and attracted the attention of an undercover police car.   I think they just did a license plate check and realised I wasn't an obvious threat to humanity as they sped off without getting out of the car.  When the NRMA guy turned up I started to get into an argument with him about putting regular petrol in but thought it best not to push that one.

One positive - I finally got to use the warning sign in the boot!
Matt
1977 450SEL

thysonsacclaim

Re the fuel level sending unit, I was looking at the cost and they were relatively steep ($150+?). I'd read on here somewhere of someone dismantling and cleaning the metal contacts in theirs. Dunno how well it works. I took mine apart, but the car has been in pieces since then so I've not been able to test.

I considered completely tearing the unit down and finding out what metal is used and fabricating new parts since this is surely the part which wears out. As long as the float moves up and down, it should be OK, but if the metal is badly corroded obviously no signal is going to get through.

My trip set doesn't work so I just put in as much gas as possible, as often as possible, til the nozzle clicks off  ::)

Mforcer

Quote from: flutes on 16 February 2011, 11:29 PM
And I proved this on George St in the middle of the Sydney CBD, at around lunch time.
If I knew you were stuck on George Street, I would have come to visit!

I did the same recently on Anzac Parade ::) It is a long and lonely walk to the nearest fuel station.

I usually rely on resetting the trip meter but I simply misjudged with too many other things happening. It can often be months between visits to the petrol station and the distance each tank lasts depends on the kind of driving.

Quote from: flutes on 17 February 2011, 07:00 PM
One positive - I finally got to use the warning sign in the boot!
Awesome! ;D
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200