News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

"Thirsty Merc" - The Band

Started by oscar, 08 November 2007, 07:51 PM

oscar

Anyone know much about the band, ie it's name, why "Thirsty Merc"? 

They got some great tunes.  With a name like that, they'd wanna be good otherwise I'd get hammered by friends that love to dish the merc.  I've heard most of the first album before, most were hits.  Just listening to some of the latest now and yeah, I like!!!

Just wondered what the connection is with them and old mercs.  I doubt someone who's experienced a late model merc would call them thirsty, so I'm guessing they had some first hand experience as poor Uni students keeping an old merc on the road.  That's my guess but their webpage and myspace page doesn't give anything away.  I remember seeing a computer generated 108/9 in one of their clips that I can't find now.  Doing a search they use a w116 in "Wasting Time" and a 107 sec in the distance.  There's also a w123 in "Hard Way".  Anyone know which song has the 108/9?

Wasting Time -

Hard Way -

1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

A mate did tell me, that it was like Ian suggested.

They used to have a big "Thirsty Merc" that was reliable in their early years carting their equipment to and from gigs.
And apparently it did chew through heaps of water and also guzzled gas.

I actually ran into these blokes at Melbourne airport when i was doing filming / recording for a band tour (Fantomas, Melvins, Tomahawk).  I spoke to them and they were there to appear on Rove that night.  The singer seemed like a nice bloke and down to earth.
He was also a big Mike Patton fan (singer of 2 of the bands on the bill i was recording) and said he'd try and make it to the show after rove.  Never saw him there...

I didn't own my 116 then so had no reason to question him bout the name of the band..   :-\

116Benz

The newest clip of theirs, the chick thats driving is in a 107 SLC...
I thought they were named after the old merc that did the gig tours with them as well...

oscar

Geez, the people ya meet. 
Mike Paton rang a bell.  Faith no More, I know, but have to admit I had to google the rest.

Quote from: SELfor50 on 08 November 2007, 09:09 PM
and said he'd try and make it to the show after rove.  Never saw him there...
I didn't own my 116 then so had no reason to question him bout the name of the band..   :-\

Wonder if you had your merc back then whether Rai would've been all excited and started talking merc, laughing as he says - "not the SEL, they always think it's the SEL" (like the goggomobil yellow pages ad)  or just nodded politely and said,and I quote, "he'd try and make it to the show after rove"  :D  ha, just sh#t stirring. ;D ;)    Love hearing about chance meetings, brushes with fame, wish it was me.

116benz, can you remember the name of the song?  I'll grab a still.

116Benz

Quote from: oscar on 08 November 2007, 09:45 PM
Geez, the people ya meet. 
Mike Paton rang a bell.  Faith no More, I know, but have to admit I had to google the rest.

Quote from: SELfor50 on 08 November 2007, 09:09 PM
and said he'd try and make it to the show after rove.  Never saw him there...
I didn't own my 116 then so had no reason to question him bout the name of the band..   :-\

Wonder if you had your merc back then whether Rai would've been all excited and started talking merc, laughing as he says - "not the SEL, they always think it's the SEL" (like the goggomobil yellow pages ad)  or just nodded politely and said,and I quote, "he'd try and make it to the show after rove"  :D  ha, just sh#t stirring. ;D ;)    Love hearing about chance meetings, brushes with fame, wish it was me.

116benz, can you remember the name of the song?  I'll grab a still.

The Hard Way. About 1:24sec's into the vid, the headrest gives it away

oscar

You know what's funny - The Mrs came home and said "why did you download that for?  We've got both albums, the latest I got you for Father's day." :o
Talk about grateful so and so.  I must have got the kids to open my presents.  (If she got me a new alternator, dizzy or driver's seat cover - now that would be what I call true love)

Quote from: 116Benz on 09 November 2007, 12:22 AM
The Hard Way. About 1:24sec's into the vid, the headrest gives it away

So that 4th pic I posted above?  I thought it was a w123 but then noticed there's no pillars, then I thought maybe a 280CE.  I based my assumption on their being two fresh air vents.  What about the headrests makes you think it's unmistakably a 107SLC.  I don't know I'm just curious ;) I don't know how they look. 
A couple more stills esp of the headrest.

Andrew280SEL

How interesting.

I always did wonder about their name- now I know. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

116Benz

*shrugs*I dunno, I saw the headrest and then saw the slats behind the window and though "looks like an SLC", the headrest part spotted it as a Benz.

Betsy

Hi Everybody.   I am a new Merc owner and new to the group.  I have got myself an absolutely beautiful 1977 280SE with only 135K on the clock.  Seriously - no one has ever sat the rear seat of this thing.  I thought I would mention this more by way of introduction and also the fact that I am still raving about my car and my respect for the engineering in this car.   

Now - down to the topic.   I am a jazz musician and work regularly with Ray and Phil from Thirsty Merc  (They are both highly accomplished jazz musicians but PLEASE don't tell their fans).   It was Ray who owned a Merc a few years ago and I will ask him what he had.  Knowing him I am sure it was a little tired...laughs.    I will mention that I am signed up with the 116 family online and if they ever want to use some classy "classic" not plastic Mercs, Ill put out the word.  Thanks for a great read everybody.  I am learning HEAPS!!!  Cheers  John

Betsy

oscar

Betsy, maaate!!! ;D 

Quote from: Betsy on 14 November 2007, 03:02 AM
  I am a jazz musician and work regularly with Ray and Phil from Thirsty Merc  (They are both highly accomplished jazz musicians but PLEASE don't tell their fans).  

I'm becoming a big fan of thirsty merc and yours now too. ;D (Michel - A bit more sucking up and we'll have a band at Crayford's W116 Xmas bash 8) 8) 8) )

Seriously, I didn't know where their musical roots started.  Very interesting post and welcome to the forum.  Your ride sounds great.  Photos is a must before you type any further (it's a prerequisite ;D ).  I gotta ask, why the w116 and not some other car?  Sounds like your smitten by it and that's great. 

Before you get a chance to ask Rai, I'm gonna have a guess that Thirsty Merc's car was a w108 280SE.   Only 'cause one of their early clips had a w108 looking car.  BTW, do you know which clip it would be, I searched youtube and can't find the vid.  Good to have you on board.  Any Q's, just ask and someone else smarter than me will answer  :)

116Benz

Quote from: oscar on 14 November 2007, 04:02 AM
Betsy, maaate!!! ;D 

Quote from: Betsy on 14 November 2007, 03:02 AM
  I am a jazz musician and work regularly with Ray and Phil from Thirsty Merc  (They are both highly accomplished jazz musicians but PLEASE don't tell their fans).  

I'm becoming a big fan of thirsty merc and yours now too. ;D (Michel - A bit more sucking up and we'll have a band at Crayford's W116 Xmas bash 8) 8) 8) )

Seriously, I didn't know where their musical roots started.  Very interesting post and welcome to the forum.  Your ride sounds great.  Photos is a must before you type any further (it's a prerequisite ;D ).  I gotta ask, why the w116 and not some other car?  Sounds like your smitten by it and that's great. 

Before you get a chance to ask Rai, I'm gonna have a guess that Thirsty Merc's car was a w108 280SE.   Only 'cause one of their early clips had a w108 looking car.  BTW, do you know which clip it would be, I searched youtube and can't find the vid.  Good to have you on board.  Any Q's, just ask and someone else smarter than me will answer  :)

I dunno Oscar, your the leaks king.

oscar

Leaks king as in water ingress or like, "quotes from a close source" or lack of bladder control?  I'm all three. :D ::)

116Benz

erm...OK dont cough then.

Baaaack to the thread though. I think it was Paolo that intro'd me to Thirsty Merc, I thought the 1st clip they ever made was beside the Icon Gold 116 (like Oscar showed us). Maybe that was the old merc.

oscar

Apparently, the "thirsty merc" car was a '79 merc.  A ninemsn interview says so, but Rai doesn't devulge much else.  There goes my w108 guess so now I'll guess a w116 or w123.

Speaking of the w108 in a vid.  I swear a song I saw had them barreling along in a dark grey rendered CG or enhanced w108.  Just watched all their free vids on their official website.  Not a sign of it.  I just remember the distinct sight of the vertical headlights.  I'm on a mission.