News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

the only 6.9 in Kenya needs to be restored

Started by 6point9kenya, 22 November 2018, 12:04 AM

6point9kenya

Hi,

My name is J-P and I restore classic cars for a collector here in Nairobi, mainly Mercedes. I just completed a W189 300 d Adenauer. We have the only 450SEL 6.9 in the country, and it is a bit of a challenge. The hydropneumatic suspension was crudely removed, the gearbox has no reverse and the engine has issues too. On the plus side, the body is straight and sound and the blue velour interior is in great condition.
Therefore I am looking for a donor car, ideally a good running car that is uneconomical to restore due to accident damage or rust, to strip and ship all the parts, leaving only the shell behind. Can anyone here help?

Thank you!

Harv

You certainly came to the right place.

The Adenauer looks beautiful. What a car.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

rumb

I have most of an engine, a trans, and many hydro parts and several hydro tubings. Pm me and let me know your email and I can work on finding and photographing what I have. I stripped a 6.9, kept some parts for my other 6.9 so have many extras
, but probably not everything.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

floyd111

I can ask my friend here (in Taiwan) We brought in a complete, but shabby 6.9 from the USA. The car was almost free, came as a bonus inside a container of NOS W116 and R107 parts.  Shipping and taxes were not free, though.. I'd need to ask him, but I would not be surprised if he'd sell it cheap. That car is never gonna see the tarmac again, not in this country. Plus, his business is internationally shipping/selling classics and supercars, so he knows all the ins and outs of shipping to any location.

6point9kenya

Hi Floyd,

Thanks for your reply. Is your friend's car running, or did it come as a dead spares car?

J-P

floyd111

It was parked in an Arizona shed for at least a decade or more. It wasn't running when I got it, but it's not a flood car, or
a crash car.

6point9kenya

Thanks Floyd, 
I really need a car with working engine, gearbox and suspension.
J-P

floyd111

I thought you were looking for a complete but dead parts car? You want a running one with good metal, so?

6point9kenya

Yes a running car with good engine, good gearbox and good suspension. The condition of the body and interior is irrelevant as mine are good.

Squiggle Dog

It sounds like he wants one that runs and drives well, but is very rusty (or has been in a crash), so while the body is bad, it would have good parts for installing on his 6.9 that has a good body and interior, to make it driveable.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

floyd111

I am getting a bit slower in the head these days, it seems.
Well, Kenya, good luck with that. Why not simply save the whole drama, and just buy a restored one abroad, switch the engine numbers (if anyone cares) and call it a day? If you can buy a nice one, even for 25000usd, you'll be saving money and a massive headache.

floyd111

and, how are you gonna source and ship all the parts you need? These days, with the white world drowning in racism and fear for anything not-from-your-country, I would be very worried about any goods that need to ship to any place in Africa. I can't even get Germans to ship to their 2000yr tiny, friendly, white old neighbor, Holland.
You may have done the Adenauer before, but last year is not this year.

ptashek

South Africa isn't that far away (well, in African distances terms at least!), and they seem to have quite a knowledgeable Mercedes fan club there
6point9kenya, have you tried contacting folks from the MBCSA yet?
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Squiggle Dog

Purchasing a rusty/damaged 6.9 and having it shipped over cut in half and then making one car out of two might be a lot cheaper than buying a complete 6.9 and importing it due to taxes because a car cut in half might be considered parts and not taxed as highly as a complete car. I'm not sure on the laws there, but in some countries that's how it works.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

6point9kenya

Thank you all for your comments, importing a car over 8 years old is not allowed in Kenya. So the spares route is the only one available. For the Adenauer we imported a running chassis from the US, it had to be cut in 3 pieces and shipped in two crates... The Adenauer ended up costing roughly twice what you would pay for a good one in the U.K. and it's the only running one in Kenya. A few more wrecks left though!