News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

The "Goldilocks" restoration thread

Started by ptashek, 28 March 2014, 07:56 AM

floyd111

Good to know, but now what? UPH sells parts that are a poor fit, and GAHH sold light-green carpet offered as parchment carpet. Guess that asking for samples-first can solve the latter issue..
Still need to find out how well the GAHH fits, though.

BTW, what did you use in those door cards? Looks like velours.

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 16 May 2016, 08:38 PM
what did you use in those door cards?

Same material as for the floor carpets - fine velours in moss green (albeit, as mentioned before it's more olive than moss).

It was used for door cards and parcel shelf to keep the setup consistent, once originality  was no longer an option. It looks quite good.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

But, I understand that UPH has a score of door card materials for W116, resembling the striped type from yesteryear.. Why not go there?

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 17 May 2016, 10:04 AM
But, I understand that UPH has a score of door card materials for W116, resembling the striped type from yesteryear.. Why not go there?

Lack of visual consistency. I'd rather have a visually coherent interior, than something that strives to look original but isn't.

ptashek

Haven't got much in terms of a progress update, it's just slow and tedious.
But here's a few more fresh pics. Excuse the dust, she hasn't been pampered yet ;)

If you zoom-in on this one, you can clearly see how poorly the "new design" OEM windshield seal fits in the corners. It's mind-boggling.
Also, that rust-like stuff on the bottom edges of the bumpers is just run-off from when the inside was sprayed with rust-proofing. There's a lot of its traces on the body still.

"Trust, but verify" - options and VIN plate got swapped, options plate was mounted upside-down, and both were mounted with rivets not screws! Sigh... (already fixed)
You can also see the re-cored radiator, and restored headlight frames. These got glass-bead blasted, painted with special aluminium paint, and all clips were replaced. They look brand new, yet aren't.

Cabrio.de carpet set fit example

revilla

Superb Lukas!!!  One day closer to come back to you...

What are those stickers on the headlights?

Robert

ptashek

Quote from: revilla on 17 May 2016, 05:10 PM
What are those stickers on the headlights?

All RHD and US/Japanese cars are legally required to have these on most mainland European roads - they change the symmetry of the headlight beams, so as to not blind oncoming traffic.

revilla

I had no idea the lenses/reflectors configuration was different between European version and RHD/US/Japan.  So the stickers are designed to compensate/attenuate those differences.  Thanks.

Curious.  You know the specifics differences?  In case we source for headlights in the future to buy the right thing for the right version/market.

Cheers.

ptashek

Within Europe the  near-side beam is longer, than off-side, to illuminate the kerb area better. The symmetry is reversed between LHD and RHD cars.

Japan and USA, maybe other countries too, use symmetrical, long-range beams, which are frowned upon, if not outright illegal, in most EU countries.

daantjie

What a great colour it pops so nicely in the sun. Great job!
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

I've made a few before/after collages of the still unfinished product. I think these convey the sheer scope of the job best than any words ever will.

This one's my favourite... "where all the demons lurk" ;)

Missing subframe mount bolt (Shock! Horror!) and an inviting hole straight through the inner sill...

The rear axle, in comparison, looked very decent indeed.

Two years, two sides, one car...

Well, this cleaned up nicely....

This one highlights the colour difference perfectly. For some reason, the amount of dust under the hood remained constant ;)

daantjie

Wow that rust at the rocker panel is brutal. I'm sure mine is even worse...
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Except for a new exhaust, the car is pretty much finished as of yesterday - pending test drives to make sure everything is in order, and my nitpicking when I go to pick her up.
Timing has slipped on the stainless steel exhaust, so I'm getting an OEM one instead.

Someone here was asking before, how the underside and other elements will get sealed/preserved.
These were sprayed with a "transparent undershield", which looks like below when finished. It's semi-transparent, but actually goes really well with icon gold.

Peter

Very impressive and I cant wait for the final photos, well done fella  ;D

s class

Not to be difficult, but your brake fluid reservoir is mounted the wrong way around.  THis means that the small chamber feeds the front brake circuit, instead of the large chamber as it should be. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL