News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

The "Goldilocks" restoration thread

Started by ptashek, 28 March 2014, 07:56 AM

ptashek

Thanks. Yes, well spotted :)
I've already let the guys know about it. There's a few other bits not entirely "right".
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

ptashek

In a lucky stroke of eBay purchases, I've managed to find another long sought item: new OEM cruise control cable. It's old stock, but still sealed in its original packaging and mint condition. For 46USD with shipping, not a bad deal either. But my favourite is the NOS moss green, mint condition door grip, an item long forgotten by MB dealers. Also sealed in its original packaging, with a production date stamp of October 15, 1979 :D

I've decided to start hunting for those NOS interior trim panels.
If you know of anything moss green (colour code 6054 for trim), let me know.
Must be new, never used and priced within reason.

floyd111

I understand the idea of such a hunt. It's not impossible, but a lot of work.
Even f you receive the right color coded parts, it will have been stored in different conditions, one maybe even produced 8 years earlier then the last part you just found..
I would be worried about color differences. Until now, I have always wanted to avoid that risk. I also never found a good alternative to the problem.
When the time comes, my My vinyl trim will be prepped in detail, carefully vinyl-sprayed in identical color, and mounted back onto the car with new rivets and stuff.
I am told the new vinyl spray on sale these days is a lot better then the stuff from a decade ago.

ptashek

Yes, there's always a risk when dealing with coloured stuff. But even when stored in the same spot, the parts age differently. Heck, they age differently in the car, depending on how everything is exposed to sunlight. But with that in mind, it's easier to colour match a set of new parts, where the vinyl pattern is not yet worn out in places, then restoring the pattern first and then colour matching. And if the parts are the right colour shade to begin with, the job is even easier.

I have a complete interior from my 350. I'll make an experiment on it, re-dying the parchment panels in moss green matched to my existing panels.
If it works, I'll have spares galore. If not, well, whatever. That parts car has paid for itself several times over already :)

ptashek

Got my exhaust collectors back today from getting restored.
Look at those beauties, in their brand new sandblasted, ceramic coated (inside, and out!) glory :D

The colour is "cast iron" which is how I wanted it. It may be a little darker than OEM.

ptashek

ptashek

Another small update from the field.

Rear axle is being put together for final re-assembly. OEM handbrake linkage is on the way, and custom made Copper-Nickel brake circuit pipes are in along with OEM master cylinder. Callipers have been rebuilt, and all bolts re-plated. All new bearings, shaft boots and bushings. New pads and handbrake shoes, new rotors. Axle elements have been stripped down, sandblasted and painted. You could probably only do a better job by buying a brand new, fully assembled axle. It looks pretty darn awesome!

revilla

Waking up to these amazing images makes me want to cancel all my plans for today and go directly to the garage to work in my cars :)

Nice progress Lucas.  Keep us posted and inspired...

gavin116

Hi Lucas

The suspension and brake components look great.  Are you going to coat the hard lines and the other plated components with something to prevent oxidisation, and if so with what?  I think you can get an ATE sticker kit on eBay to replace those on your refurbished brake booster.  As for the grommet you're looking for, try this number in the EPC, I think it's supposed to be of similar dimension: MA107 997 01 08

I would be interested to hear what your resto shop thinks about the build quality, ease of working on (and possible weaknesses of) W116's compared to other Mercedes models, as well as other manufacturers.

Any idea of the finish date?

Keep the updates rolling in,
Gavin

P.S. You should see a good heat reduction under the bonnet with those ceramic coated manifolds.  Certainly something if my manifolds need to be removed for whatever reason.
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

ptashek

Quote from: gavin116 on 22 December 2015, 03:18 AM
Are you going to coat the hard lines and the other plated components with something to prevent oxidisation, and if so with what?

Corrosion resistance is one of the biggest advantages of CuNi pipes, over steel or pure copper. Even when submerged in salt brine for days, they only show superficial oxidisation. So, with that in mind I don't have any plans to coat these. As for all the other plated stuff, I haven't thought about it much yet. Any recommendations?

QuoteI would be interested to hear what your resto shop thinks about the build quality, ease of working on (and possible weaknesses of) W116's compared to other Mercedes models, as well as other manufacturers.

They have rebuilt multiple Iso Grifo's in the last few years, some Tatra and Citroen models, and probably a lot more they're not talking about.
The Iso's, while even up-to 15x the market value of a perfect 6.9, are apparently a nightmare to rebuild. Custom, hand made coachwork, poor original build quality and lack of parts. Dead gorgeous when done though! They were surprised how readily available parts are for the W116, but comparatively the cars they usually work on are from earlier times and more exotic - so it may be just that. I'll need to ask about their opinion on the engineering. I haven't actually thought of that before :)

QuoteAny idea of the finish date?

Mid-February "worst case".
But I'm in no rush.

QuoteP.S. You should see a good heat reduction under the bonnet with those ceramic coated manifolds.  Certainly something if my manifolds need to be removed for whatever reason.

The company where I got them done (Hipeco in Poland, 110EUR with VAT) makes claims of up-to 30% surface temperature reduction. We'll see :)

Thanks for the grommet and sticker tip. Definitely worth checking out.

floyd111

a photo of that ATE sticker would be welcomed.

ptashek

Delivered just in time for some holiday reading.
Picking correct nuts, bolts and washers should be much easier now.
The entire thing is 158 pages long; its a 1989 edition but is largely identical to the 1980 edition that was circulating on the web at some point.

floyd111

In what specific ways is this book helpful to your project?

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 24 December 2015, 09:10 PM
In what specific ways is this book helpful to your project?

Similar to how the "Tabellenbuch" tells you if you have the right torque for a bolt, or correct fluid for the transmission, this one tells you if you have the right grade of same bolt, right kind of washer for it etc.
It's not model specific in any way, but contains DIN standard references making picking 3rd party replacements, if needed, trivial. Many items also have notes on all applicable finishes, which I guess is invaluable for "concourse" type restorations.