News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Test Drove my 1st 6.9...

Started by SELfor50, 10 July 2007, 08:35 PM

John Hubertz

PLANET?  Do you think our esteemed 6.9 brethren would gain prestige from ruling a mere PLANET?

Shirley, you jest.

YE WILL RUE THE DAY YOU INSULTED THE 6.9 OWNERS...  YE WILL ENVY THE DEAD!!  BLASPHEMER!  HERETIC!!  ECONOMIZER!!!

Ahemm.  Here's the scoop:

Dear Word Detective:  I'm curious about the etymology of the word "plutocrat" or "plutocracy," meaning essentially "government of the rich over the poor."  Does it have anything to do with the ancient Greek philosopher Plutarch?  And where does the planet Pluto fit in, while we're at it? -- Harry Perzigian.

And don't forget Pluto the dog.  Actually, you have to wonder what Walt Disney was thinking when he named that animal, as will become apparent in a moment.  Meanwhile, I'm still puzzling, as I have been since about the age of six, over what sort of critter Goofy is supposed to be.  Dog?  Moose?  The missing Baldwin brother?  The child Ann Coulter never mentions?  Just asking.

Onward.  It all began with the original Pluto, who was the Roman god of the dead and ruler of the underworld.  As was common practice in Roman mythology, the Romans had actually borrowed Pluto from Greek mythology, where he was known as Hades.  The name Hades was also used by the Greeks to mean the underworld itself, which, interestingly enough, was portrayed as being cold and dark, not fiery hot as in the modern concept of Hell.  As a matter of fact, the original Hell (named for the Norse goddess Hel) was also a very chilly place, and the bad-afterlife thermostat didn't get turned up until the New Testament.

The cold and dark of the Roman underworld made "Pluto" a fitting name for the desolate outermost planet in our solar system when it was discovered in 1930, but it took a very literate 11 year-old English girl named Venetia Burney to actually suggest the name.  One of Pluto's moons, by the way, is named Charon after the ferryman who, in Greek mythology, transports the souls of the dead across the river Styx into the underworld. 

The connection between the Roman god of the dead and rich people running the show comes from the root of the name "Pluto" itself, the Greek "ploutos," which meant "wealth."  It was believed that wealth that came from the ground (minerals, gems, etc.) was actually created in the underworld.  So put "pluto" in this original Greek sense together with the Greek-derived suffix "cracy," meaning "power" or "rule by," and you get "plutocracy," rule by the wealthy.  Plutocracy, as well as "oligarchy" (from the Greek "oligos," meaning "few"), are usually considered less desirable states than "democracy," from the Greek meaning "rule by the whole people."
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

nathan

RG,
in the absence of pluto, you shall have to alter the term plutocrat...
ii suggest plutokraut
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

robgee

Hey John and don't call me Shirley my other name is Marlene. ;) ;) ;)

Sargent Liutenant Frank Drebin.

I think therefore I am that Oligarch fits the mould better what say you?

alabbasi

I have a 6.9 and a w108 with a 4.5 (the same engine as the 450SEL with D-jet). Off the mark, I would say that the 4.5 feels more responsive. Like it's willing to rev more. Up above 80mph, the 6.9 really comes into it's own. Not even my 32 valve 275 hp v8 powered E-Class has the same grunt.

Around town, I prefer potting around in the W108, it's steering is a lot lighter and it's more chuck-able. The 6.9 is much more of a highway car. Both give about the same mileage. I'm waiting to drive my 350SE as I've been told the M116 engine is very sweet and rev happy. It should be fun with the manual gearbox.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Grant V

Robgee.......

Either cut down on the spirits or increase the doze.... ;D ;D
[/quote]

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha - I think that's one of the funniest things I've ever read!
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

robgee

Quote from: Grant V on 13 July 2007, 03:20 AM

Robgee.......

Either cut down on the spirits or increase the doze.... ;D ;D

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha - I think that's one of the funniest things I've ever read!
[/quote]

Gee Grant you wanna get out more mate.

SELfor50

Spoke to this fella again today,...

He's decided he's not selling as his son really wants to keep the car for when he turns 17 and get's his P plates.

he then proceeded to tell me that it was nice to meet and i should drop round sometime.

I said mate, unless i'm coming round to purchase a 6.9 i don't think we can have any further discussion on this.
I strongly suggested that the car was too powerfull for his son but he seemed to think not.

Oh well, the search continues..

Andrew280SEL

oh, that's sad. We can just about say goodbye to that 6.9.....

Yes, I do realise the irony of my age!  :D

But I shouldn't get into too much trouble with my 280, and I have a genuine love for these cars that defies my age I'd like to think  ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

13B

QuoteHe's decided he's not selling as his son really wants to keep the car for when he turns 17 and get's his P plates.

Someone ought to inform of the 6.9 in Canada (?) which was owned by a teenager for 1 day before writing it off...

Really, the 6.9 should be on the restricted list of what vehicles P platers can drive (I've never checked, I was off my P plates by 20), and really, no insurance company is going to insure a teen with a 6.9, so this kid may, assuming he can afford the fuel at the time, get regular use of the car once he turns 25...

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

oscar

Quote from: SELfor50 on 18 July 2007, 11:30 PM
he then proceeded to tell me that it was nice to meet and i should drop round sometime.

I said mate, unless i'm coming round to purchase a 6.9 i don't think we can have any further discussion on this.

That's the shot!  :D  But I reckon you have to try what 13B suggests.  Start a propoganda campaign ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Ironically he actually lives right next door to one of my longest family friends - but i'd never met them or even seen the merc till i rang up from the ad.

I played cricket, rode bmx's and billycarts in the backyard next door to him for years and never once saw them.
The amount of cricket ball's i've lost in that bloody yard.

And the guy won't sell me the car.  He should knock off 3K just for the amount of compound cricket balls he would've scored over the years.

Anyway, the address is:  XX XXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXX...  eh, i'm sure if i posted it i would be breaking some sort of law somewhere.
Either way, that's what will happen once a 17yr old kid with his P plates drives that car for the first time without his parents!!

I've forgotten bout it now - might hassle him to sell it in another 6months.  Head on round with 5K cash in $20 notes so it looks like more and wave it around..   ::)

Worth a shot..

Andrew280SEL

Go for it!  ;)

Failing that, make up a big yarn about how UNCOOL he's gonna be (the boy I mean) to all his friends of the same age despite the big motor, and then tell him the age-old truth that w116's don't score women!  ;D

Failing THAT....hmm...take off his fuel pump from underneath and he'll probably think it just died and take a few $$$ off it....
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

SELfor50

Quote from: SELfor50 on 10 July 2007, 08:35 PM
It was love at first right!

I pulled out of the driveway, drove about 2kms down the street and turned right.  The accelerator felt very spongy, and as i was turning i planted it.  She squelched and launched to 100km's like it was nothing!

To be honest, i didn't think that the difference between the 4.5 and 6.9 would be as great as it is.

That and the ride of the Hydro suspension was un-believable.

This ol' girl has been looked after too.  The paint looks AS NEW!  Centre console wood is cracking a little but that was bout it.
The fella had receipts for the last 5 years worth of engine maintenance from MB spares and it has been really well maintained - though not sure how soon it would require a timing chain as it's at 250,000kms and he hasn't replaced it in the 5years he's owned it.

I was almost prepared to buy it on the spot, but the fella said that his son (who is on his L plates) was getting used to it and he's not sure whether he wants to sell it anymore.  >:(
He said that if they did decide to sell it he would call me.

Either way, my only goal for the next 12 months is to complete my other 450 project and then purchase a well cared for 6.9.

I now know exactly why you blokes love these cars so much - for it's vintage, it's un-rivalled on the roads!!!  ;D

I WANT ONE!!!

Sorry to revive this thread but I had to update y'all.

I had just finished moving house yesterday (not quite finished but most of the big stuff anyway) and after I dropped the trailer back to my Mum's house I decided to stop past the owner's house of this 6.9 I testdrove bout 9 months ago.

I knocked on the door, and the young fella (who was on his L plates last year and learning in the 6.9) answered the door.
I asked him if he remembered me, "I came around and test drove the 6.9 last year"......

Answer:  "Yeah I remember you, but sorry we got rid of it"..

Me:  "Noo.... who to, how much?"

Kid:  "Ohh... it got written off.  Rear ended someone, had an accident and the insurance company said it wasn't worth fixing.  They were going to auction it off."

Me:   :'( "Who was that?"

Kid:  "Shannons."

After explaining that a 16yr old kid shouldn't be driving a f*kn 417CI engine and that they'd destroyed a f*kn beautiful car... i left.

I'm going to try and find out what happened to it... I'll head out to the shannon's office in canberra tomoz, i'm pretty sure they would've assessed it.

It happened in January so probably either been crushed by now or scooped up by a shannon's employee, no harm in trying though.

F*KN IDIOTS!!!!!!!!  Such a nice car, ruined by stupidity..   :'(

oscar

OMG!  That's incredible.  Douches!

Makes you wonder what they deem as unsalvageable though.  A guy from the US ages ago posted about rear ending someone causing a bit of front end damage.  Bent bumper and smashed grill, to that sort of extent and I'm sure it was written off based on parts prices and a "too costly to fix" response. 

Whilst at my mechanics last week, there was a blue 450sel with damaged left front from a real good contact with a kangaroo, bent bumper, smashed light and bent bonnet.  It's going to need pulling and a bit of welding too.  So the 6.9 might be interesting to look at if it's still in a lot somewhere.   
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 13 April 2008, 02:59 AM
did you say "I told you so" ?

Wow some people are stupid, who in their right mind would have a learner in a 6.9?

However, I have let one of my barely legal girlfriends drive my 6.9 before obtaining a learners permit. I was extremely careful and told her i would bury  her alive in the pine plantation if anything happend to the car. She thought i was joking, luckily nothing happen to the car so she didnt find out.

Said a little more than I told ya so... followed by "Why the f*k didn't you call me, I left my number and said if you ever wanna sell it - EVER, f*kn call me!!!"

That's funny, but also scary PB...  :-\

Quote from: oscar on 13 April 2008, 07:44 AM
OMG!  That's incredible.  Douches!

Makes you wonder what they deem as unsalvageable though.  A guy from the US ages ago posted about rear ending someone causing a bit of front end damage.  Bent bumper and smashed grill, to that sort of extent and I'm sure it was written off based on parts prices and a "too costly to fix" response. 

Whilst at my mechanics last week, there was a blue 450sel with damaged left front from a real good contact with a kangaroo, bent bumper, smashed light and bent bonnet.  It's going to need pulling and a bit of welding too.  So the 6.9 might be interesting to look at if it's still in a lot somewhere.  

The biggest douche in the universe.....

Found out it went to pickles, was auctioned off straight away.  Can't find out where it went... :(  If it was in canberra, it'll pop up sooner or later.  There's only 2 i know off, both were silver and 1 is now dead.  I'm sure there's a couple more somewhere....

I'm sure it wouldn't have even been that much damage - just brand new parts would've been quoted at maximum price cause of insurance and they thought it wasn't worht it... mo-fo's. :(