News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Test Drove my 1st 6.9...

Started by SELfor50, 10 July 2007, 08:35 PM

SELfor50

It was love at first right!

I pulled out of the driveway, drove about 2kms down the street and turned right.  The accelerator felt very spongy, and as i was turning i planted it.  She squelched and launched to 100km's like it was nothing!

To be honest, i didn't think that the difference between the 4.5 and 6.9 would be as great as it is.

That and the ride of the Hydro suspension was un-believable.

This ol' girl has been looked after too.  The paint looks AS NEW!  Centre console wood is cracking a little but that was bout it.
The fella had receipts for the last 5 years worth of engine maintenance from MB spares and it has been really well maintained - though not sure how soon it would require a timing chain as it's at 250,000kms and he hasn't replaced it in the 5years he's owned it.

I was almost prepared to buy it on the spot, but the fella said that his son (who is on his L plates) was getting used to it and he's not sure whether he wants to sell it anymore.  >:(
He said that if they did decide to sell it he would call me.

Either way, my only goal for the next 12 months is to complete my other 450 project and then purchase a well cared for 6.9.

I now know exactly why you blokes love these cars so much - for it's vintage, it's un-rivalled on the roads!!!  ;D

I WANT ONE!!!

SELfor50

ACT Rego'd, Same Silver as mine - only it's imaculate paint!!

I've since found out this morning of a reliable source that it was in an accident a couple years ago and the front end was pulled out instead of being chopped and re-done.  So the crumple zones aren't as strong.
Interior has cracks in the blue leather and is covered by seat covers.  Speedo seemed lazy, nowhere near as responsive as mine. Eg. the needle was bouncing quite a bit before it found it's mark.  Front left passenger window doesn't work as switch is apparently broken.
Centre console has a couple cracks in the wood - but only just becoming visible.
Brakes were very spongy - not sure whether this is cause of it being a 6.9 or not but it was entirely different to my 450.
Accelerator was very soft, but responsive.  When i planted it on the right hander i could feel the difference of the LSD!!

Overall i just couldn't get over how much more 'get up and go' it had compared to my 4.5!!

I've been advised by a reliable source that it's pretty much a $5k car - so i'll consider it a bit more and maybe hassle the fella with an offer sometime next week.  Basically it's just not a car a 16yr old should be driving.  As safe as they are, you'd hate to see a picture of it crushed on the front page of the paper...then they would change the ACT laws!

Either way - my 12 month goal is to own one of these beauty's!   8)

oscar

Geez you've come a long way in a short time.  A 450, then a second with impending engine swap and now, a hairs breadth from getting a 6.9.  I'm impressed.  I haven't even driven one yet let alone been a passenger.  I read your post last night about you going to have a look at one and I've been hoping to see a positive post regarding the test drive, which it was.  You might want to keep the blue velour for this 6.9.  You may also get a chance to try another sooner or later to get a feel for what the brakes and everything else should be like.  It's funny how two identically built cars can feel different some years down the track.

Good luck with it Cam!
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

Good luck with the purchase and let us know how you get on.

SELfor50

Quote from: oscar on 11 July 2007, 12:01 AM
Geez you've come a long way in a short time.  A 450, then a second with impending engine swap and now, a hairs breadth from getting a 6.9.  I'm impressed.  I haven't even driven one yet let alone been a passenger.  I read your post last night about you going to have a look at one and I've been hoping to see a positive post regarding the test drive, which it was.  You might want to keep the blue velour for this 6.9.  You may also get a chance to try another sooner or later to get a feel for what the brakes and everything else should be like.  It's funny how two identically built cars can feel different some years down the track.

Good luck with it Cam!

Thanks Oscar!  Much appreciated mate.  I'm going to have that much in the pipeline it's not funny - but it won't seem like work cause i've developed a love for these cars.  Well that and my German heritage coming out..  ;)

Quote from: Michel on 11 July 2007, 02:43 AM
That is the BIG reason why I like the 690SEL....
Responsiveness, handling and acceleration.
You cannot compare 450 and 6.9.....
Chalk and cheese  ;D

Chalk and cheese exactly!  As Oscar says, it'll be good to drive a different 6.9 to see the difference is between them.

Can't wait to see the 690SEL, only 11 sleeps to go!!  :)

Andrew280SEL

Wow, i didn't originally think the difference is that great either. I'm gonna have to track one down one day and see for myself, cos it must be mindblowing. ;D

Fuel consumption on the other hand.....
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

gregdeklerk

I bet if you drive her nicely, it should be close to the 450 consumption?

SELfor50

Quote from: Michel on 11 July 2007, 03:26 AM
Don't worry about fuel consumption.  ;)
Unless you are going to drive like a maniac ALL THE TIME, you'll probably get almost the same consumption as your 2.8litre  ;D
You hardly have to accelerate to get off the mark with a 6.9   :D

This is the main thing that blew me away... as i've never driven another 6.9 i wasn't sure if the accelerator should feel that soft.
But yeah i hardly tapped it and it got the 3tonne moving easy as!!
My 450 takes flat to the floor to get up and go a bit...

I do reckon the fuel consumption on a 6.9 would be not much more fuel consumption than a standard 450 as it takes less work for the engine to move the car - being a big block it doesn't need to work anywhere near as hard.

Been trying to explain to my mate who's a holden fan what the experience was like.. couldn't convert him, i guess he'll understand once he has a ride in one.  I highly recommend it to anyone!!!  ;D

My problem will be if i get one - i have a VERY heavy right foot..  ::)

johnj

Any W116 forum members, While in Melbourne can test drive my 6.9
  I have to many projects to find the time to drive it  [sadly]
  I cover to many miles to make it my daily driver
  At least all that work to bring it to were it is now, at wont go to waste !
                                                                    johnj

SELfor50

Quote from: johnj on 11 July 2007, 06:58 AM
Any W116 forum members, While in Melbourne can test drive my 6.9
  I have to many projects to find the time to drive it  [sadly]
  I cover to many miles to make it my daily driver
  At least all that work to bring it to were it is now, at wont go to waste !
                                                                    johnj

Does that mean you're thinking of selling her John?
I ask as i will be down melbourne way in the next couple weeks and wouldn't mind having a look at the ol' girl.

500eguy

I want to test drive a 6.9 but i am afraid if i do, it will follow me home....:)... i saw one yesterday, very very nice speeding down the road in the opposite direction!:)

13B

QuoteI bet if you drive her nicely, it should be close to the 450 consumption?

Road and Track (the US magazine) found the 6.9, in their testing, returned the same petrol consumption as the plain 450SEL (13mpg) for equivalent driving.

Which is why I've never been shy to buy and drive a 6.9 over a 450 because while you'd think the 6.9 would be heaps worse, the 2.65 diff and lazy power means in normal driving you rarely go over 2000 revs.  A friend of mine back in the day had a 1978 450SEL and we both would get similar, consistent petrol economy... if the 6.9 was worse it wasn't by a perceptable amount.

Oscar, SELfor50, once you get your 6.9s unless you fang it everywhere, you'll be surprised that it doesn't use more fuel than you would imagine.

Des, I don't know how you were diving this thing (#5440) but I've got it back to an acceptable fuel usage rate for my daily drive to and from work and puttering around on the weekend - around 12-13mpg.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

13B - you're in Melbs right?  Isn't most of your time spent sitting at lights waiting to turn Right from the Left hand lane?
That would mean less fuel consumption right?  ;D ;D

Problem with Canberra roads, they're pretty much all 80km/h or higher so a lot of it's highway driving.  I know this is supposed to mean less fuel consumption but you know how fun it is on these open roads??  ;D ;D ;D

All in all, if you own a Mercedes - should you be worried about fuel consumption?  ::)

So i guess i'm aiming to be a plutocrat?!  8)

13B

Quote6.9 - Plutocrat (Wears whatever he wants to and goes wherever he wishes - valet parking at home or away)

I'm a plutocrat, save for the valet parking shit.

Petrol economy doesn't bother me unless it drops below 6mpg at which point I really have to think about it.  I couldn't drive a Hummer, or 1970 Caddy Eldorado, etc.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

robgee

Now that they have decided Pluto is no longer a planet does that make Plutocrats just plain old  Crats. ;D ;D ;D
Regards,
Rob
Fidocrat see I can make up a name with a dogs name first aswell.

Crat :[French -crate, from Greek  ruler, from kratos, strength, power]

Hence Plutocrat = Ruler of pluto (now no longer a planet)
Therefor a Plutocrat is a diposed leader of a former Planet. ;D ;D ;) ;)