News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

TeamW116 -- MotorSport in NSW

Started by Michel, 11 September 2007, 11:44 PM

Michel

I think we need a new thread here Cam

Quote from: SELfor50 on 11 September 2007, 11:12 PM
After not being able to sleep for the last 2 nights with this on my mind(i shit you not, i have laid awake till 2am each morning considering it) - i've finally come to this decision.

I'm gonna donate ol' silver to the race-track.   :o

After speaking to a mate at work who races his peugot 405 at the below hill climb event everymonth he's talked me into it.
I'm gonna start with this and then piece by piece work my way to full track racing etc.  After i've seen what the hill-climb is like, i'll then make my decision to take her to full track build..eg. ripping the guts out and putting in a cage etc. 

http://www.sdmahillclimb.com/

Now..... If there's anyone who's willing to offer their assitance with this project, it would be more than appreciated.
The event allows more than 1 driver per car and you each get 1 hot lap that is timed properly / record kept etc - and throughout the day each driver will get between 4-8 hot laps. (per event that is).  If there is more than 1 driver per car the laps aren't minimised, each driver gets the same number of hot-laps.

If you are willing to offer your time / assistance with helping ol' silver round up a few more horsies - then you're welcome to jump on the track with her as well.

I've also got ol' smokey that is still being stripped for as many spare parts that i can get.
On Friday i will be looking at a Blue(silver blue) 450 SE (AUS Spec) that a friend of a friend has.
It's been sittin in his back yard for the last 12months, apparently has immaculate paint / interior and was owned by an elderly couple previously.
Haven't seen it yet but my mate reckons it's the goods, so if it is - that will become my weekend cruiser making it easier to transfer ol' silver to the track.

Cam,
I spoke to your mate at ASV parts and he's quoted me some pretty, pretty, pretty goooood prices on a Re-conditioned gearbox & diff.
I'm sure the ol' girl probably doesn't really need it done but if i'm puttin her on the track, i'd like to have it done.

MForcer - any chance we can look at getting some W116.Org stickers done up for sponsorship / advertising.

Anyone else who has a business, or know's of a business that would wanna write off some tax dollars for advertising / sponsorship purposes - it would be un-real!!  I've already put the word out to a few mates running businesses.

So i guess the final question is - who the hell's with me??   8)

I'm In    ;D  ;D  ;D

SELfor50

Was hoping you'd say that!  ;) ;D

30th of september is the next hill-climb at sutton just cross the border in NSW, she won't be ready for that but i'll be attending to meet and greet and scope it.

13B

If there is anything I can help you guys with, let me know...  I realise being in Vic is a bit of a hinderance, but if you feel like making a weekend of it sometime, think about coming down to Winton, in country victoria , for some circuit sprints - I'll give you some months advanced notice of when they are on, so you can form the 'crew'. 

Circuit sprints allow up to 3 drivers per entered car.... so I'm thinking Team W116 NSW driving down a 6.9 towing Ol'silver on a trailer, with Cam riding shotgun and Oscar behind in the 350SE carrying supplies (wheels, petrol, oil, brake pads, helmets, etc., the bbq, the picnic table, the laptop, the folding chairs, the drinks, ...)

Anyone thinks this sounds good?

Ian.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

13B

(And since given what I've just said there's a spare seat in the 6.9 and 3 spare seats in the 350SE, may as well make it a forum gathering, so bring along: PB, BC, Crayford, and Styria.)
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

I'm all for this hey!!  Like i said - start small with this hill climb thing and see what the car can do, then start the process of improvement.
Won't know what we can do till we take it for it's first run...well i know a little of what it can do - but not how much improvement room is there (i'd imagine there's plenty room to move!)

One of the main reasons (among wanting to push my car to it's limits) i wanna do this is to build up the W116.org crew and build a strong team atmosphere!

And who knows, today Sutton hill climb, tomorrow Winton sprints, next week - BATHURST!    ::)

HAhaaaa   ;D ;D

But yeah, this is gonna be fun!  :)

Brian Crump

Bloody ripper of an idea!! ;D
Regards,
BC

SELfor50

Not wrong BC - i can't wait ay..

You should bring along the spirit - it can jump in the production class!!   ;) ;) ;D
That engine would Luuuuuurv it!!!

Brian Crump

Yeah - the engine is wasted in the Spirit - I do like winding down the windows, dropping it into manual and flooring it - just for the throb under my feet - do that and it sounds like a Harley Davidson. ;D
Somehow I think the racetrack would see it slide tail out for most of the way. There is a guy in the UK who uses a Shadow for track racing and he spends a lot of time tail out with a silly grin on his face. ;D
Regards,
BC

oscar

Hi ya'll,

I've been meaning to pop in and say let's do it.  Regardless of NSW or Vic, it doesn't matter.  I'd hope to see the team venture interstate as it grows.   Obviously being somewhat distant to the tracks and the TeamW116 workshop and headquarters (wherever that may be), is a bit of a hindrance for me, but it's only a days drive to get to tracks in NSW or Vic.  I'll pitch in where ever, how ever and when ever I can.  I think my role's going to be more supportive rather than active though when I turn up on race day, I promise I'll make myself useful. ie esky duties ;D  or whatever else happens in the pits.  BBQ ::)

We'll see what eventuates but if I can help with parts or design a logo for the polo shirts and race suit. ;D  (Don't want to get too far ahead but I read Bathurst and my mind has wandered ever since).  Just the idea of getting a race team together sounds exciting. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Quote from: Brian Crump on 13 September 2007, 03:29 AM
Yeah - the engine is wasted in the Spirit - I do like winding down the windows, dropping it into manual and flooring it - just for the throb under my feet - do that and it sounds like a Harley Davidson. ;D
Somehow I think the racetrack would see it slide tail out for most of the way. There is a guy in the UK who uses a Shadow for track racing and he spends a lot of time tail out with a silly grin on his face. ;D
Regards,
BC

BC, my friend, ANY car can be track worthy if setup properly.  The other main factor - which as actually even more important than setup is the Driver.  I've seen a bloke in an EH Sedan with 3 on the tree whoop the ass of plenty other cars.  He was actually offered a drive in the junior V8's cause of what he could do with a car.
The EH had stock suspension, drum brakes etc...  The engine had a couple big carbys but other than that it was also just a re-built EH engine.  I guess what i'm tryin to say is - it's not the car's fault it's tailing out.  Regardless of how fun it is to kick out the back,  ;D it's not the quickest way round a track.  ;)  And another driver in the same car might find much better lines.

Quote from: oscar on 15 September 2007, 04:02 AM
Hi ya'll,

I've been meaning to pop in and say let's do it.  Regardless of NSW or Vic, it doesn't matter.  I'd hope to see the team venture interstate as it grows.   Obviously being somewhat distant to the tracks and the TeamW116 workshop and headquarters (wherever that may be), is a bit of a hindrance for me, but it's only a days drive to get to tracks in NSW or Vic.  I'll pitch in where ever, how ever and when ever I can.  I think my role's going to be more supportive rather than active though when I turn up on race day, I promise I'll make myself useful. ie esky duties ;D  or whatever else happens in the pits.  BBQ ::)

We'll see what eventuates but if I can help with parts or design a logo for the polo shirts and race suit. ;D  (Don't want to get too far ahead but I read Bathurst and my mind has wandered ever since).  Just the idea of getting a race team together sounds exciting. 

Nice one bruv!  Any support is muchly appreciated.  At the moment, i'm looking towards the first race / hill climb being at sutton (just on the border of canberra) on the last week of October (Sunday 28th).  Was going to try and push for the one on the 30th of Sep but realistacally i won't have my CAMS license processed by then and the car won't be at the level i want. 

Later this week will be new front shocks, tune up/timing check, air-slide inspection and snorkels run to the front and secured for CAI.

So there's the target date peoples - 28th of October 2007!   8)

MForcer, any chance of looking into the possibility of a nice W116.Org - Racing sticker for the back window?
Or "Team W116 Racing", "Team W116 - Motorsport"?  I can get it done up here in canberra, along with a big vinyl banner to setup in the pit (mate does massive prints on vinyl for backdrops etc.).  I just need your approval for use of the name.   ;)

Cam.

13B

QuoteAnyone else who has a business, or know's of a business that would wanna write off some tax dollars for advertising / sponsorship purposes - it would be un-real!!  I've already put the word out to a few mates running businesses.

In my experience its easier to try to get companies to supply hardware rather than $ for advertising or sponsorship purposes.  A brake place might not want to put up any $ to have them advertise on your car, but may put up 2 sets of brake pads/year for the privelidge.  A tyre place may give you good used suitable tyres for free for advertising space.  Remember, used tyres, as long as they're not flat-spotted, are your friend... the less tread the better 1.5 - 2 mm is ideal).

SELfor50

Quote from: 13B on 15 September 2007, 11:45 PM
QuoteWhat are your thoughts on the wider fronts Ian?

I've always ran cars with all 4 tyres the same size - never tried larger/smaller, and can't think of anyone who uses larger front/smaller rear except for a few front-drive drag cars. 

Larger front tyres, in theory, should help with understeer, if you have a car which is a characteristic understeerer.  I'd be more worried about oversteering.  Can we get some pictures of these enormous front tyres?  I have 245s and they pretty much will out the while wheel arch, 255/70 sounds like something you's see on a bus!

Anyhoo... R-compund tyres... look them up... they are going to be mandatory to get this beast of yours around in times within cooee of similar cars.  (They are worth about 5sec/lap over the best street radial.)  And this is where the wheel debate comes in (for me, anyway, as I race my rota on a budget of sorts).  Generally speaking the larger diameter wheel and the lower profile tyre will increase cornering power.  But with lower profile, larger diameter tyres comes with $ expense.  A 205/60-14 A048R is around $230, but a 225/40-17 is around double that price but you don't get double the cornering power!  You get about 10% more.  Your old 14" bundts are starting to look good because with R compound tyres you can get better times than 16" wheels with road radials.

There is a picture and some details on a048 tyres here: http://www.yokohama.com.au/motorsports/

Thought i'd reply to this post here:

My bad, i told a lie.  My memory sucks!
The fronts are:  225/55/16
Back are: 205/50/16

The reason i got these is cause they were at a tyre place, second hand and i got them for $500.  Their cornering capability is pretty sweet....i've put them through their paces.

Re: sponsoring, i'll try talking to some local tyre places bout possiblitys of some good used tyres.

You reckon still put the bundts back on?  Or even, have them at the track on the first day - and use the 16's for the first couple runs then swap to the bundts and see if times improve??

But yeah, i totally agree that good rubber will definitely give me a good gain on the competition.

SELfor50

Alrighty Peoples...  it's settled.

1st Race will actually be on Sunday 30th of September.  Yes - next weekend!!!  :o

I'll be getting to the track at Sutton at 7.30am for scrutineering etc and a walk / run through the track.

Event kicks off from bout 9am and goes till 5pm.

I'm busily trying to get the car ready, i'm waiting on the shocks, cold air induction piping, K&N air filter to arrive.
And i'll probably drop it into MB Spares and ask them to give it a really good tune a couple days before.
Any other suggestions of some little things i can do to get the car a little quicker?

Sutton is on the outskirts of Canberra (the side closer to Sydney!)  Monday's a public holiday too!! 

So who's keen to come and support some?

13B

Woohoo!!!!

Tip: since you're hillclimbing, put the smallest tyres you can find on the back to increase acceleration!  If you can find some 205/60 or 195/60 14" thats a good start.

Oscar, are you going along to video and YouTube this debut?  I would imagine its going to be a big ask for Cam to drive and film at the same time...

I.

oscar

F&#*  I'm working 12hr shifts Sat and Sun. >:( >:(  Will try for a swap and let you know.  We definitely need video of the debut.  An in car cam Cam too ;D

This is gr8 Cam.  This is the track yeah?    http://youtube.com/watch?v=vy_kTVlf6YY
Looks fun and a good way to start

Found a link to the club etc too http://www.sdmahillclimb.com/  I will see what I can do to get there.
1973 350SE, my first & fave