News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

TeamW116 -- MotorSport in NSW

Started by Michel, 11 September 2007, 11:44 PM

13B

Hmm... hold that thought.

I was really after a manual, and if I was to turbo it, it would need to be a fairly tight M110 engine...

Sucks in hindsight, that black thing from a couple of weeks back on eBay would be ideal.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

Don't know whether it was manual or auto - didn't go that far.

I'll dig up the number and at least go have a look at it....you never know right??

Still waiting to check out that 500SEL i mentioned to you....  that should be a real goer!  Only problem is auto.. :(

torana68

Boys and Girls,
If you want to play at the hilclimb pick a car for the class, dont pick a car and turn up and find yourself
classified in the big dollar classes. Have a look at the rules or ask a scrutineer for advice, the standard
car class is probably what you want for a start. You do not want to be playing with the sports sedans!
go for a class with  few in it that allows you to do a few free mods, like strip out the interior, loose the
exhaust maybe.
Roger

SELfor50

Roger,

with the hill-climb, as soon as you strip the interior you go to racing sedan class.  And same goes for adding race tyres.
I'll be staying in the production car class for the next 2 events to see how much i can better my times.  After that i'll be pushing to
strip the car completely and get a roll cage etc..
The category i was in (Type 1/2 3001-6000cc) is the best for the moment i reckon.  That's cause the VB commonwhores i was up against
are of the same sort of era, and with a bit of work (not as much as they've done to their engine) i'll be able to beat the pants off them.

But yeah, hit me up when you're back in town - i need you to give me a hand on the tuning/timing side of things before the next event.
I don't know squat bout that, and need to learn.  There's a 6 pack in it for ya... ;)

torana68

sounds like a plan! , no charge for advice, first bit is use one of the "ultimate" fuels and re set your timing to suit... disconnect the A/C belt and remove the clutch fan, DO NOT IDLE the car without the fan.
Roger

SELfor50

Sounds good Roger, can't this weekend as it's Oktoberfest and German Autofest....which reminds me...
But any chance of catchin up the following weekend?  20/21st of October??
That way it's a week before the next event and i can try finalise everything.

Where can i get an electric fan for the ol' girl??  And is there a specific type i need to get?

I'll be removing the whole A/C front mount thing with fan... shed some more kilos.

For those who didn't see this in the other post...enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5io0i3XZ1lI
Even if you're not the slight bit interested in this whole Team 116 Motorsport thing, you should enjoy watching this.

Drop your feedback, it's muchly appreciated!

Mercules

Well done Cam! Nice catch on the last corner fo the first lap... Tommi Makkinen wold be proud!
I love the start of the second lap when you come past the camera and the engine is howling!!!

Nice commentry from the kids too... they didn't have to laugh so hard at your stack though!

Go hard or go home!

The other Cameron.

torana68

You dont need any fan if your not idling or driving slowly anywhere (IE your normal driving style) . Dunno about the A/C I might leave it there if its hot as hell waiting inline would be nice to be sitting there in the cool! drop the belt off if its not hot. Off to look at the vid...
Roger

SELfor50

Quote from: Mercules on 08 October 2007, 04:34 AM
Well done Cam! Nice catch on the last corner fo the first lap... Tommi Makkinen wold be proud!
I love the start of the second lap when you come past the camera and the engine is howling!!!

Nice commentry from the kids too... they didn't have to laugh so hard at your stack though!

Go hard or go home!

The other Cameron.

Word brother Cam, howling it was - next event will have the camera in the car... should sound way better!
"Go hard or go home!" Only way to do it!! ;)

Quote from: torana68 on 08 October 2007, 05:50 AM
You dont need any fan if your not idling or driving slowly anywhere (IE your normal driving style) . Dunno about the A/C I might leave it there if its hot as hell waiting inline would be nice to be sitting there in the cool! drop the belt off if its not hot. Off to look at the vid...
Roger

A/C doesn't work anyway, needs re-gassing i think.  I've done without it till now, don't need it.  Got 4-80 Air con (you know...4 windows down 80km's / hr) :D

I think i'll still leave an electric fan on there, cause it's still my daily driver (i sold the 1976 120Y - got $350 for it!)
Just gotta get the '75 120Y on the road now..

torana68

I dont think you should play with 120Y's its not OH&S safe, can lead to a brain disorder where you begin to think they are good cars.....
Roger

SELfor50

Quote from: torana68 on 09 October 2007, 04:47 AM
I dont think you should play with 120Y's its not OH&S safe, can lead to a brain disorder where you begin to think they are good cars.....
Roger

Come on man.... don't diss the dato!  ;)
The dato is what gave me saved cash to spend on Ol' silver...  I love them cause they're small AND rear wheel drive.. awesome fun in the mud!  ;D ;D ;D

It's quite a realisation stepping out of a 1976 - 120Y then getting into the 1978 Merc.  Proves the value of research & development.  ;)

Mercules

Yeh, I have to admit, the modified 120Y is a beautiful thing... I know a fella who had a shitty blue one with an FJ20 engine conversion... it ran 11's with no modifications!

Didn't stop or corner but what type of drag car does?

Cheers,
The other Cameron.