News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

TeamW116 -- MotorSport in NSW

Started by Michel, 11 September 2007, 11:44 PM

SELfor50

Ian, will try my best mate - i've got the 15's of ol' smokey that have 90-95% rubber and are thinner and only 15's.
Should i try 1 run with those on the back and the 16's on the front?

Oscar, you are indeed a net master!!  That is the track - and my mate who races his peugot and his celica on there said the dutton blokes actually did VERY average times!  So yeah, see how it goes.   ::)

Do your best mate, completely understand if you can't make it.  ;)

Can't wait though ay..  8)

13B

Aye... what you want is the smallest rolling diameter - wrap a tape measure around to be sure... if you can find some 245/50-14s and put on bundts would have a very small rolling diameter...

Hey oscar is this yours?http://youtube.com/watch?v=7ikaLwar7F4 I reckon its yours...

Cam... might be hard under competition conditions, but see if you can get a vid like this...
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

oscar

Yeah that's mine.  I posted that in your vid thread or Big rev thread I think.  There's another one there too starting off in Drive.  I was testing to see if "S" or "D" gave quicker 0-100km/h times. SFA difference but 1st and second hold out longer if you start in "S".  Might not be the quickest W116 but gee it sounds good over 4000rpm  ;D

Re: rolling diameter, have a look at that link Carl Jones posted.  http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Bump...

Boys, I will definately be doing all i can to get a number of vids from this first event.  ;)

......so, everyone's busy next weekend?    ::) ???

torana68

Hi! been away so missed all this and............... Im away again tomorrow, havent read everything but if you havent already conatcted a scrutineer it might not be a bad idea, and remember to add the extra throttle return spring they always want.... have fun and get photos.
Roger
oh and the extinguisher will get close inspection too....

13B

Good luck this weekend Cam!, can't wait for the pictures in the gallery and video footage on youtube.

I've been doing a bit of 'spirited' driving myself lately, full throttle turns and what not.  One thing I noticed, and you will notice too at the 1st corner, that large comfortable leather drivers seat has got to go!  Its lack if lumbar support had me slipping from one side to the other using the steering wheel for leverage - a totally pox situation for racing...

After Sunday you'll want to put a race seat and 5-pt harness on the top of your list.  Both can be bought used on eBay but be careful of harnesses that are out-of-date (they have to be less than 10 years old) and seats which have been in race cars in accidents.

Ian.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

Ok....... so had the first event today.

Went f*kn great!!  I only had 4 runs (instead of 5-6) cause on the 4th run I cam off and put the wheel alignment out.  Funniest part is, it was actually AFTER the finish line!  ;D
I knew i'd pulled my best lap and wanted to celebrate a little, and now i'm eating humble pie..  :-[

BUT, don't worry - i have video footage of the whole thing! :)
I got footage of my 3rd & 4th run, but didn't get the first 2 as my mates hadn't turned up yet.
I also got no footage of in the car, as i simply couldn't find anywhere to fasten it.  Next time i'll use the passenger headrest to clamp it in and tape it.

So, down to the business end:

1st Run: 60.something
2nd Run: 59.something
3rd Run: 58.somthing
4th Run: 58.lower something

I still have HEAPS of time to find on that track.
I was matching times with a VB Commonwhore that had a worked 5.0litre twin carby's etc and i was slapping down an SLR 500 Torry that was pulling 63's.  Admittedly he didn't wanna push it too hard cause it did have a nice body kit.  (read, WTF are you doing on a track then??)

All in all, I still hadn't got the new shocks for the front and the body roll was very prevalent.  With the new shocks i'll easily gain 1-2secs (i have no doubt bout that).

I have to say, the best part of the day was the fact that nearly everyone was so bloody interested in the 116!  People were constantly coming up to check her out between runs and commenting on how good it was to see a car like this out there.  And there were also a few looks of surprise with the times.  The range and type of car that were racing was un-believable.  You will see some of them once i upload the footage, such diversity! (1950's replica open wheeler, with a Jag V12 worked off it's TITS!!!  The bloke used to be a Formula 1 Engineer)

Can't half tell i had fun ay...  ;D

And after a wheel alignment on Tuesday and then shocks later in the month, race seat (you're not wrong Ian, gotta gets me one.  Seats are just too far gone), race tyres, 280SE Diff-lockd and 3 weeks of the gym i'm pretty confident i'll be matching the turbo car's pulling 53's-55's.

Didn't get a single still photo - but will upload the footage later in the week.

8)

13B

Hey Cam, great to hear you had an awesome day!  I know they MB would be a hit - anything out of the ordinary usually is.  People
get sick of seeing the same old top contenders: XR6s, RX7 twin-turbos, WRXs and Lancer Evos...

Normally to put in a camera you get the roll-cage maker to put an extra camera bracket in the horisontal bar which goes behind your
seat and mounts the harness, they just weld a smaller bracket where a camera can get a good look  at the driver and out the window.

must be a short-ish track to get times around 1 minute... how many km is it?

is there just a single car on the track at a time or multiple cars?

Did you get the thing into 3rd or spend most of the time in 1st and 2nd?

Whens the next event and will there be a bit more w116.org support for it?

Ian.

SELfor50

Cheers Mate! ;)

True that, there were a heap of RX7 turb's, couple Evo's, skylines and some commonwhores.  But yeah, everyone flocked as it wasn't the average brand of entrant.  Was quite a good feeling.

I'm gonna buy one of these camera bracket things that sucks on the front windscreen.  A bloke there had one and it's got a mad little pump that you pump the sh!t out of and it sucks it on. Cameron clips in and you can swing it whichever way you like.  bout $200 but worth every penny!

I think it's only bout 1.2 km's or something.  Very short but VERY technical - the porsche cup guys go there for practice cause it's got every type of apex you need for training!

Single car on the track at once, but by the time you line up and give the wheels a bit of a 'warm up' then reverse back to the timing point start it's time to go.

1st & 2nd, never touched 3rd.  And really only just clipped 2nd to get me to bout 110km's before getting hard on the brakes.  Nearly all 1st (which winds out to 85-90 anyway).

Next meet is Sunday 28th of October, i'm there already! ;D
Support?  Only time will tell.....   :)

oscar

Cam ;D

Top Stuff!!! I just got back form work, no way I could make it today sorry, but man, I take my helmet off to you for giving it a go in such a short space of time.  28th Oct, I'll mark it down.  I'd really like to make it for the next one.

Great race report, did you strip any weight, eg bumpers etc can't wait for the vids. ;D  Congrats Cam.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

Good on ya Cam - Gr8 job M8  ;D ;D ;D
Regards,
BC

13B

[quoteBut yeah, everyone flocked as it wasn't the average brand of entrant.  Was quite a good feeling.][/quote]

Sounds like you've found your niche!

SELfor50

Oscar, Thanks Mate!  ;)
Bumpers remained on the car, there will be many changes before next months run...actually it's this months run.. only 28 days now! ;D

BC, Thanks also Mate! ;)
Supports much appreciated!!

Ian.... yes I have my friend!  To be honest though, i was a little ashamed cause of the 6.9 badge.  One of the scrutineers was a former 6.9 owner and when he first saw it with the badge his words were: "Have you seen Ronin?" ;D  Was great... However, i had to quickly admit that it wasn't a 6.9 just before he opened the bonnet.   :-[
Wish i had a 6.9 to race, it would Luuuuuurrrrvvv that track!

13B

Ok so I've pretty much decided to have a go at building a TeamW116 car for club events.  Mine will be with a manual gearbox and a short wheelbase body.

I can either go with a V8 (either MB or non-MB) or a 280S 6 cyl engine fitted with a draw-thru T03 turbo fed by a 48DCOE weber.

Peoples thoughts / experiences?

Ian.

SELfor50

Quote from: 13B on 02 October 2007, 10:14 PM
Ok so I've pretty much decided to have a go at building a TeamW116 car for club events.  Mine will be with a manual gearbox and a short wheelbase body.

I can either go with a V8 (either MB or non-MB) or a 280S 6 cyl engine fitted with a draw-thru T03 turbo fed by a 48DCOE weber.

Peoples thoughts / experiences?

Ian.

Ok.... there was a Mercedes in the canberra times on the weekend.  I rang the lady and she said it's a 1979 (though i'm pretty sure that was wwrong)
and when i asked what model it was she couldn't tell me, in fact she said: "i've told everyone that's rang today that there's no numbers on the back".
After that she said all i can tell you is that it runs good, she drove it back from qld for her father who is now in hungary. blah blah blah... but she said that all it needs is some "start ya bastard" in the carburettor and it runs like a dream..  As soon as she said carby i said, all i need to know.
But now that you say this - i'll find the number and call her up and head round for a look.  It was in the paper for $600.
Good chance it's a 280S right if it's carby??