News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Team116 car #2 is 450SE number 43094 - lots of PICS

Started by 13B, 06 January 2008, 04:19 AM

SELfor50

Grant... those pics of the door trims etc, are FUKN GREAT!!!

I've been 'weighing' up my to-do list of track prep for ol' silver and interior stripping / weight is one of the biggest one's.  The hole saw action is very genious indeed.
I love it!  After I strip down all the interior and have re-done all the fuel tank / delivery etc.  That's definite steps that will be taken for weight loss.

Mavric, this is all good stuff mate!!  Can you have a look into when the first event is down your way?  I need to set some goals.

I'm out.....

Cam  ['Iceman']  8)   :D ;D ;)
(Formerly known as Mad Cam Rockatansky)

Grant V

Colin Chapman was fanatical about making his Lotus' as light as possible, often to the extreme, which resulted in his cars being a bit fragile. However, the importance of 'lightness' and how it affects the power to weight ratio of a car cannot be overlooked.

A standard 230S Fintail develops about 84hp on the back wheels and weighs a hefty 1410kg, which results in a power to weight ratio of about 59bhp per ton.
My Finny racer now develops 105hp and weighs 1200kg and the resulting power to weight ratio is 87bhp per ton.
However, if you wanted to get the same power to weight ratio out of your standard 1410kg Fintail as I have in my racer, you would need to get 123hp off the back wheels, and that ain't going to happen without a kompressor!
By losing 50kg of weight in my racer - 1150kg - but keeping the same 105hp, the power to weight ratio increases to 91hp per ton.

So, how do you get your car to perform? Just add some lightness, as Colin Chapman said.
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Des

Quote from: Grant V on 08 January 2008, 12:40 PM
So, how do you get your car to perform? Just add some lightness, as Colin Chapman said.

have you considered having fibreglass panels made for your finnie?

Ian; you need to source some US 300SD alloy panels, for your boot, bonnet, fuel tank bulkhead, they are half the weight of the normal panels.

oscar

They're some pretty convincing figures Grant.  Seems so obvious.  No wonder jockeys are small.

It reminds me of the 350 rally car in that online article that says the weight reduction gave it a PWR similar to a 6.9.  It's just a shame that part of lightening a w116 would invariably involve bumper removal.  Don't you still have half your bumpers on the finnie Grant?  I thought there was some chrome left on front?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

13B

Mine will stay with bumpers on... well until Cam turns out the be quicker with them removed :)

We'll just try it and see... whats the weight of a 450SE... does 1750kg sound right?
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Grant V

Des - I would love to fit fibergalss panels, but the regs nix that. Considering that the bootlid weighs 16kg and the bonnet 20kg, it would be a very good idea. I have been able to cut holes into the inner strengthening panels of the bootlid, as well as cutting out the cross bracing, which has relieved 2kg. And because these panels are so ridged and over-engineered, it still hasn't affected the strength of them.
Your further suggestion of sourcing ali panles from the 300SD is exactly what is needed, but if the regs allow them, I'm sure fiberglass panels will be far cheaper.

Oscar - I removed my front and rear bumpers, which added 50kg of lightness. The car certainly looks a bit undressed, but the answer would be to get them fabricated in aluminium - $$$$$
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Des

This is another example of how weight shedding makes a difference...

A few years back there was an episode of topgear where they took an old XJ V12 jag, 300HP, stripped everything non essential off the car, lights, bumpers, interior, window motors, etc.. etc.. gutted the car so it was only an engine in a shell, the 0-60 time was 1 second quicker with all the weight gone,
they saved 150KG's in weight by ripping everything out of it.

500eguy

that thing is cool!!! i wish i could actually be apart of the crew!

Des

Quote from: 500eguy on 11 January 2008, 05:23 PM
that thing is cool!!! i wish i could actually be apart of the crew!

We need to convince Michel to start up a downunder version, he can perform the proper automotive journalism, you, me and oscar and just screw around, blow stuff up, smash cars up we don't like, drive fast cars and generally be arrogant and rude

:D  :D