News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Tasmanian escapee

Started by oscar, 18 April 2007, 06:56 PM

oscar

Downtown Griffith this morning and couldn't believe my eyes.  We're supposed to be at a meeting at 9am when a different w116 was spotted.  A quick u-turn, my wife's camera-phone and a few curses for doing so.... I spotted a charcoal/grey coloured 450sel with Tasmanian number plates.

Was it Des or Andrew that asked "where for art thou Tasmanian w116's?" 
They've escaped to the mainland. ;)

Anyone know this one?  EP 9561

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mforcer

Nice detective work Oscar!

I think we can now call Griffith the W116 capital of the world! :P

When are we having the official W116 meeting at the W116 capital?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

Des, I forgot about Tassie's searchable rego page.  That's interesting. 

Mforcer, I'll have to do a recount of local w116's. 

I got a good look at this 450sel which ended up being parked very close to my work.  It looks a bit worn with one body strip missing and seat covers all round masking the interior colour.  It sounds alright though and a good wash would really bring it up and perhaps show any more cosmetic imperfections.  No hint of smoke as it accelerated away.  I have a feeling it may be sticking around for a little while for reasons I wont go into, but since the beat up 6.9 hasn't resurfaced for so long, this one may get included in the recount.

Andrew280SEL

Interesting indeed oscar.  :)
hehe, i just looked up my car in the rego thingy. I didnt know about that either.
Quote from: oscar on 18 April 2007, 06:56 PM

Was it Des or Andrew that asked "where for art thou Tasmanian w116's?" 
They've escaped to the mainland. ;)

And I "think" Des must have asked that question, cos I don't remember asking it. ;)

EDIT:
I just did a search, but I couldnt find anything about that question except in this thread... ::)

and I looked up my dads car in the rego page, and it lists it as a "450 SLE"!  >:(
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

That quote there is my interpretation of one of you asking something on the lines of - and I'm not qouting directly

for example
where the hell are all the 116's in Tassie
or
how many 116's in tassie

or somehting like that.

So don't go searching too hard.   It's just a very, very loose reference to no particular thread.  Search for "Tassie" or "Tasmania".
And if nobody posed a similar question, I'll take ownership of pondering the thought in the first place ;)
Nobody says "for where art thou" if that's what disturbs you  ;D

BTW, your dad has one hell of a rare 450 by the sounds of it ;D Don't sell!!

gregdeklerk

Oscar, what is rare about the 450? Is it because it is in Tassie?

oscar

Did I say rare?  Without reading everything again I mean yes, the Tasmanian registration plate.  I'm in New South Wales, 600km west of Sydney (New South Wales), 500km north of Melbourne (Victoria).  I often see plenty of Victorian rego plates and a few Queensland plates, but very rare to see a Tasmanian plate.  Add to that the fact the Tassie plate was on a new-to-town never spotted before 450sel,  well, it was a pretty cool find today.

Actually, 450se/l's aren't rare in Oz but now that I think of it, there are none in town that I've seen in the last few years.  Of the 7 w116's I've counted in the past, a 350se has gone so has a 450se and a 6.9.  All I can think of lately is a gold 280sel, 2 white 280sels and a white 280se.  There's also a dark green close to mint 280 something that I saw during the course of my work.  It's shedded in a modern garage, looked fantastic, I've never seen it on the road and due to the owner being a wealthy farmer I wouldn't be surprised if he'd owned it since new.  However,  The farmer was terminally ill at the time I saw it, no questions were asked, and I haven't approached the family some 2-3yrs since I saw it.  The farmer has since passed and I doubt I'll get to know anymore.

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: oscar on 19 April 2007, 02:58 AM
That quote there is my interpretation of one of you asking something on the lines of - and I'm not qouting directly

for example
where the hell are all the 116's in Tassie
or
how many 116's in tassie

or somehting like that.

So don't go searching too hard.   It's just a very, very loose reference to no particular thread.  Search for "Tassie" or "Tasmania".
And if nobody posed a similar question, I'll take ownership of pondering the thought in the first place ;)
Nobody says "for where art thou" if that's what disturbs you  ;D

BTW, your dad has one hell of a rare 450 by the sounds of it ;D Don't sell!!

Ah,ok! :D

well i may have said something similar but i dont remember precisly.

well, in any case if they keep migrating ill just have to start collecting them to keep the tassie w116 count up!  :D

Between me and my dad we've got 5 so far so i guess we're collecting all the tassie ones! ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

There's a sad looking dark metallic blue one down here in the south of the state at the wreckers at W116 280SE, it appears to have been stolen and smashed up, all the glass is smashed out of it, the panels deliberately dented, i.e someone has bashed all the panels.

would have been a nice car in its day, must have been an early one as the speedometer is in just miles.

what a waste

>:(

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Des on 20 April 2007, 03:37 AM
There's a sad looking dark metallic blue one down here in the south of the state at the wreckers at W116 280SE, it appears to have been stolen and smashed up, all the glass is smashed out of it, the panels deliberately dented, i.e someone has bashed all the panels.

would have been a nice car in its day, must have been an early one as the speedometer is in just miles.

what a waste

>:(

I share your pain Des.

anyone that does an act like that to a w116, i feel like sending them (the person) to the "wreckers" (if you know what i mean).  >:( :'(

clearly an act of jealously and spite i suppose.

i'm glad i didnt join the reckless, so called "cool" kids of today...
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

Well guess what.  This little tassie beast is for sale.  "$1200 ono" stuck on the window.   

Thinking out loud again
;D 

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: oscar on 07 June 2007, 04:21 AM
Well guess what.  This little tassie beast is for sale.  "$1200 ono" stuck on the window.   

Thinking out loud again
;D 

:P

Oscar!

Which car are you referring to???????
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

The escapee!  The 450sel pictured up top.

Andrew280SEL

Ah, righty then.

Thinking of buying it and taking it's tassie heritage are you, Oscar?  :D

Is it in decent condition by the way?
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9