News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Tasmanian escapee

Started by oscar, 18 April 2007, 06:56 PM

James R

Sounds as if its not uncommon to see a W116 in Australia. I guess this is because they haven't all rusted away like UK examples. Over here I would say that I see more Ferraris than W116s (let alone UK 6.9s - don't think I've ever seen one other than mine). Very rare if not anywhere near as coveted as Ferraris !
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

oscar

I'd love to know how we could find out how many W116's are registered in each country.

I saw three today, said 450sel, white 280se and gold 280se.  Having said that, the last two I tend to cross paths almost on a daily basis.  But I wouldn't say that this is indicative for many other towns here.  I use to travel on major roads in Sydney during peak hour for upto an hour and a half at a time in the mid-late 90's.  I don't remember seeing one.  Though I would suspect W116's in metro areas come out moreso on weekends and don't make the rush hour daily-driver traffic which is populated by newer cars.

My last trip to Melbourne in March, I only saw one.

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 07 June 2007, 04:43 AM
Thinking of buying it and taking it's tassie heritage are you, Oscar?  :D
Is it in decent condition by the way?

It doesn't blow smoke, but interior needs work, right side exterior is missing door trim and the chrome strip on the rocker panel is bent badly and needs replacing.   I haven't had a good look and doubt I will.  It's the third time I've seen the car.  I walked right past it and checked it out a week or so after posting the first pic.  I was attracted to the badge and the colour.  Today whilst at work we drove past it and did a u-turn to check out the bit of paper in the window for curiosity's sake.  Not for me.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

13B

If you can get it for around 1/2 its asking price, you might have a suitable club racing car there Oscar.

Incidently I'm off W116 shopping this long weekend with a chequebook in one hand and good intentions in the other. 

I think its time for a new daily driver.  Wish me luck.

I.

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

oscar

Yeah, good luck!!!    8)

I wont push you for details, I'll just wait for the pics on Monday. ;)

As for the race car, I've lost direction.  One minute I want a 6.9, the next I want a RR, then I want to race, and in the meantime I don't have the $$$ to fund any one of them :'(

Des

is it worth that Oscar?

the picture you posted doesn't reveal much

oscar

I shall take the camera to work tomorrow just in case I cross paths with it again.

It's too hard to value it without not knowing too much about it.  But for $1200 perhaps talked down to $1000.... if the mechanicals are good, then absolutely, I think it's well worth the money for a 450sel.

gregdeklerk

Oscar, can you resist taking in stray dogs?

oscar

Yes I can...........I believe I can.

How's this for a weird twist -

If you remember what I do for a living, my first job today was to a house where this car was visiting.  Now the job was a hoax and called by some lowlife we tried but couldn't track down at the local technical college.  Nonetheless, we ended up eyeing off this 450sel.

The car - cream velour mostly covered by cheap  seat covers. Rust bubbles behind the rear number plate.   The worst thing though was a decent vertical crease that's caused the right rocker panel to be squashed and included the doors a tiny bit.  Although the paint is rather good, I get the impression that if it's had a good life previously, it's living below the povo line now and being neglected.  Didn't bother asking to see the engine, I'd seen enough.  No more strays for me.

13B

QuoteI wont push you for details, I'll just wait for the pics on Monday.

So anyway to cut a long story short, with contributions to Qantas and the Spirit of Tasmania, I finally bought Des's 6.9, as evidenced in my updated signature, below.

Here's my new prize back in Melbourne:

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Andrew280SEL

Ahhhhh!!!!

I had no idea Des sold that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Des, wheres the informative post!? We want details on your future!

I apologize if I've missed a post of course....
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

Oh WOW!!!

Congrats to both ;D ;D

Nice work 13B !!!!!  Looks good yeah?

Andrew280SEL

Well he did say he was inspired to suicide...
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

CraigS

I almost sent the seller an email advising him that I thought his price was 50% too high - seriously !

I know what it cost me to restore mine, and I had a good base, and an excellent interior, and the purchase price of mine was not too far from the starting bid.

The first 300 is not as collectible as later models, mainly because the engine was lower on power, and the brakes are non-assist drums -not that the vacuum assist brakes were much better.

I am happy to talk to you about the costs involved Des, before you decide. Is the radio console with the car, and the radio ? If not, and you do go down this route, I can help you with both, as well as a number of parts sources. There are some other parts I can see missing, such as the wind deflectors on the front and rear doors. Are they with the car ? They are very difficult to find, and expensive.

Some costs you might be interested to know. Panel & paint - assuming nothing too major - $10 - 12,000 minimum, new leather interior $10,000, woodwork restoration $2 - 3,000 minimum. Re-chroming - depends on the severity, but budget for at least $5,000. So far, that's $30,000. Value when complete ? Perhaps $50,000 depending on quality of restoration. I have a massive file of receipts for mine that I am too scared to total, but believe me, it is a job and a half to restore one of these chassis cars.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

oscar

Man, I saw that ebay one last night and thought what a project?  I've only seen a couple up close at last years Canberra Concours and voted the one below, Best in Show or whatever the people's choice award was called.  Even Oscarette said she'd convert if I owned the car in question.

Of course, CraigS tells some home truths I suppose about what it takes, but what a car. 

CraigS

This is a 300b (or c) but with the incorrect hubcaps - not to mention the centre mount antenna on the roof, the incorrect welting between the inner/outer guards ! These hubcaps are correct for the one Des is looking at however.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]