News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Taking my 116 for a spin

Started by Janse, 11 September 2011, 03:53 PM

Janse

Looks like I have finally figured out most of the issues with my 280S, so tomorrow I will get some temporary license plates on the car and take her for å spin for the first time since I got her 2 years ago. Hopefully I will manage to get her to the local mercedes garage to get an MOT on her, and perhaps the list wont be terrible. Also I will make them take a CO test on the car to see if the mixture is what is making the engine stall. Compensated for this by adjusting the idle speed a little so hopefully that was what was wrong. I probably should not post this here as the last times I have posted what I am supposed to do, things have had a tendency to go wrong. But I am hoping my luck has changed... :) It has not for my brother in law who in the run of two weeks has had one car backed into and the timing chain broke on another...

1980sdga

Good luck with the inspections! 

I know what you mean by plans changing. Sometimes these old cars have their own ideas  ;D

300SDude

Best of luck with it!

LOL, when I got my 300SD last August, I would just go over and sit in it and listen to the radio with the sunroof open. Now that we have redone everything, it's finally beautiful and fun to drive/be in. :)

300SDude

Janse

Been doing a lot of sitting and daydreaming the last two years myself, hopefully those days are over. Would have been cool to get her road legal before the snow comes...

300SDude

Mine is our fun/play car, so I only drive it in the summers. Since I have had it, this car hasn't been driven in snow at all. Although, one of the good reasons for that is that I have never put new tires on it, and they are severely old and have hardly any tread on them. I'll be putting some new ones on it by next summer.

I wanted blackwalls, but after reading one of Squiggles posts and seeing the thin whitewall on it, I may go for that. It looked better than I thought they would.

300SDude

Janse

In Norway they salt the roads in the winter so driving is murder for the cars. Must put my money in preparing my 250TD for the winter so it does not rust to pieces :)

Janse

Looks like my luck has turned :) The car made its way to the garage with only to stalls on the way :) I hope it makes its way back again tonight...

Janse

Its unbelievable! All that was wrong on the MOT was rust on two brake lines and a fuel line (which I knew of), missing brake lights and the warning triangle (if that is what its called) And this car has not seen the road since 1993 :) I was shocked! And the CO measuring  was 0,19 so no wonder it keeps stalling. Just need to sort this out and I have a nice cruiser for next summer. I am so freaking happy right now, dont know if I can go to sleep :)

adamb

That's a bonus! There is no better way to make a man feel better than to know that a safety inspection entail either no work or very little work. Mine is one semi-seized caliper away from roadwothiness - it's hard to tell apart from when braking hard.

WGB

Congratulations - must be a good feeling.

Bill