News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

spares and stuff for a road trip? what would you take?

Started by gf, 08 July 2012, 02:58 PM

gf

If you were going on a 500km road trip in an old banger what would you carry in your boot? I think i need to seriously look into this one- all i got so far is a 64 peice tool kit, jack, torch, spare tyre, coolant, oil, water, sand paper, file, steel putty,electrical tape, a few random fuses. crappy haynes manual for tinder?  the sand paper saved me a few weeks ago from a breakdown caused bydirty oxidised terminal. what would you put in your boot for a road trip?

JasonP

Duct tape, tabasco sauce, Swiss Army Knife, Holy Water, flashlight, headlamp, towels, rubber gloves, jumper cables, zip ties, the Necronomicon, compass, WD40, pocketwatch, magnifying glass, quill pen and ink, parchment, cell phone, Hello Kitty AR-15.

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Big_Richard

Tony66_au

Depends on how much work you have done to the old girl, I usually carry hoses, coolant, a basic toolkit and a few sparkplugs and hose clamps.

A can of WD-40/Inox spray and a can of fly spray plus my Swiss army knife just in case.

TJ 450

I go over the car thoroughly before I leave, and take a comprehensive selection of tools. I have previously taken a spare ignition module, coil and other miscellaneous parts.

Jumper leads and a tow rope never go astray, and a jerrycan.

I would only worry if I was really out in the middle of nowhere.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Casey

Well Jason, I was at Sears the other day, and I'll have you know that they have a whole line of stuff made especially for you:

...and for your road trip:

I'm still saving up to give my car a proper paint job:

JasonP

Hilarious!  ;D

I was serious about the zip ties, though ... they are still holding my longitudinal regulating shaft in place. And the flashlight came in handy when my engine stopped all acceleration on the highway at night - one of the linkage rods came unscrewed. I just screwed it back together.

1979 300SD
1979 300SD
1977 280 E

WGB

A spare set of fan belts (or at least the old ones from the last replacement).

A tool kit with some spanners and sockets.

Bottle of water

Bottle of oil.

Roll of duct tape plus cable ties.

Credit cards.

?What is your waterpump like.

Other than that it's luck and buy clean petrol

Bill

Papalangi

I bought the 450SEL sight unseen, in Dallas.  The problem?  I live 20 miles south of Seattle.

That's about 2500 miles (4000Km) in a car I'd never seen.  My kit consisted of my wife, my 1 year old son and a GPS.  And a credit card.

We made it in four days, only stopping for gas, food and rest.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

Big_Richard

ZCarFan

Bought my first 300SD three years ago.  Immediately replaced both front wheel bearings, front brake pads, 2 front tires, 3 tie rod ends, fuel filter, belts, valve adjustment and an alignment.   A few weeks later I packed it up and drove from Georgia to Maryland and Pennsylvania then back (about a 2,000 trip) with no more than a gallon of water, a gallon of oil and a small toolbox.  no spares other than some extra fuses, headlights and wipers.  Other than the temp gauge reaching close to 100 while attempting to hold 75-80 MPH on the mountains on interstate 81 , it gave me no indication that I should be concerned about spare parts.  The ensuing three years have been more the same. 

I'd say the most important thing to bring along are basic tools, some oil, water, a credit card and a cell phone.  On any drive, I am more concerned about some idiot hitting me and leaving me car-less than mechanical failure.

KenM

Quote from: JasonP on 08 July 2012, 04:34 PM

Duct tape, tabasco sauce, Swiss Army Knife, Holy Water, flashlight, headlamp, towels, rubber gloves, jumper cables, zip ties, the Necronomicon, compass, WD40, pocketwatch, magnifying glass, quill pen and ink, parchment, cell phone, Hello Kitty AR-15.

Hehe, I think you've got it wrapped up Jason, perfect, can't have too much duct tape, just one question, are the towels for after what happens when you meet the chick with the AR15??

Big_Richard

JasonP

"One should always remember to bring a towel!"

1979 300SD
1979 300SD
1977 280 E

MB_Mike

Much of the following is duplicative, but I always liked this list of items to carry in an older MB:

MERCEDES-BENZ IN-CAR TRAVEL KIT (General)

This looks like a large list, but most items can be stored easily in the trunk side bins or with the spare tire, in the first aid kit compartment, glove compartment, and door storage bins. If you want, re-arrange the items on this list by location and make a checklist to keep in the glove compartment - that way you'll know where to find something quickly.
• M-B factory tool roll which should include:
• Screwdriver, regular and Phillips head
• Wheel mounting pin (Part No. 126 403 00 74
• metric open-end wrenches, combination pliers/wire cutters
• spark plug wrench
• Add to M-B factory tool roll:
• Needle nose pliers; mini-Vise Grips and strip of leather 1 x 4 inches (to clamp off leaky fuel line)
• 2 electric test leads, 3 feet long w/alligator clip each end
• Mini-hacksaw
• Test lamp or 12-volt tester or small VOM
• 10-in Crescent wrench
• Leatherman brand combination tool or Swiss Amy knife
Keep your tool roll and other items in the right side storage bin in the SL trunk where it will be accessible even with a full load of luggage.
• Fuse assortment
• 8 amp (white)
• 16 amp (red)
• 25 amp (blue)
• Other fuses for radio and other added devices
Keep fuses in glove compartment along with an ACCURATE tire pressure gauge.
Additional Basic Items - keep in trunk storage bins or in spare tire compartment:
• Electrical tape; duct tape
• Flashlight w/spare batteries
• Engine hose repair kit
• Tubeless tire puncture repair kit; small compressor
• 2-3 feet length of correct fuel hose for your car plus 2 small hose clamps
• roll of heavy duty paper towels, glass cleaner, "bug remover" sponge
• Reflective safety vest and warning triangle (M-B part No. 000 590 14 12)
• Tow strap
• Rags, small bottle of waterless hand cleaner, leather gloves, latex gloves
• ACCESSIBLE fire extinguisher (at least 5:ABC rating)
• M-B First Aid Kit - check for completeness, add any special needs
• set of correct V-belts (keep old replaced ones)
• coat hangar wire (cut off hook, bend to fit around spare tire)
• wheel chocks (wood or plastic)
• spare wiper blades (rubber inserts)(renew every 6 months)
• jack, lug wrench, rags, hat, paper coveralls
• 6"x 6" x 3/4" plywood jack base (for use in soft soil, mud or sand)
• collapsible water jug
GENERAL

• Reminder: If spare tire/wheel is not the same as road wheels, make sure you have correct lug bolts to fit the spare wheel, i.e., 4 alloy road wheels; steel wheel for spare (Cannot not use alloy style lug bolts with steel wheels nor vice versa)
• Optional: Cell phone; GPS unit
MANUALS

• Owners manual
• Parts picture book (if you have it – many can be obtained from MBUSA at 800-367-6372)
• Wiring diagram – older models (available from MBUSA)
• Warranty and service booklets; vehicle registration

FLUIDS

• Quart of motor oil (most M-Bs have a space in engine compartment)
• Pint of brake fluid (Castrol LMA or M-B brand)
• Gallon jug of 50/50 MB antifreeze/water mix or collapsible water jug
• DO NOT carry extra fuel – too dangerous!
1987 Home market 560 SEL