News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Should I do it??

Started by jjccp, 24 September 2006, 07:31 AM

jjccp

A black 6.9 has been a dream of mine. Actually black on black, if I could have it, but this one is pretty close. California car too. Anyone know anything about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-400-Series-6-9-1979-Mercedes-6-9-450sel-No-Reserve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6331QQihZ020QQitemZ300029694044QQrdZ1

I'm going to take a look. We'll see what's up with this one...

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

oscar

Hi Jim,

Shame about the rust around the rear window.  I had similar rust in one of my doors that this 6.9 has and that was easy enough to stop it in its tracks before it worked its way thru to the other side.  The rest looks really good.  Yeah I'd say go for it but what do I know  :P

Two days to go let us know how the test drive goes.  History or stories aside,  I suppose it comes down to what it's worth and I haven't watched 6.9's or other 116's sell in the US for ages. Any cheaper and I suppose the final cost will be greater in the end.  I still think this is a lot of car for the money he's asking.

Good luck with your pursuit if you do decide to chase it.

Simon
1973 350SE, my first & fave

fatherpierre

Go for it - it looks stunning on the outside.
you
He could have cleaned it out before taking the pics!

It looks a serious piece of merc, and in black, even better.

You'll never lose a penny on that investment.  Unless oil runs out  ;)

michaeld

jjccp,

I clicked the link, but didn't look at all the pictures.  She looks nice from what I've seem.

I've seen 6.9s go for less on ebay than the starting price, w/ fewer miles.  You might put all the 6.9s in the US on your watch list for the next day plus and see what they go for (or if they go at the starting or "buy it now" prices).

California cars have less rust because of the warmer & drier climate, but - due to the more stringent CA emissions - are also the least powerful (on the plus side, that should help pass your local emissions reqmts, if that is an issue).

Here in CA, I've seen several black 6.9s selling w/in about 100 miles of me.  They're not thick as fleas around here, but they're not too rare, either.  If this bird is rare for your neck of the woods, that would be something to consider.

I bought my California 77 450SEL on eBay for $801.51 (in California), sight unseen.  I wouldn't recommend doing that when the starting bid is $6500.

The upside of eBay is you pay less for cars; the downside is it is generally impossible (or at least impractical) to have a mechanic inspect the car before bidding.

I surely wish you good luck if you decide to go for it - and good hunting if you decide to wait.
Mike

Des

Go for it if you can afford it, by that I mean the car plus expect to spend a few grand on repairs. Its one thing to buy a car, but if that's all the money you can afford it could all leave a sour taste in your mouth. Interior looks average for a car that age, notice the marks on the seats, rust in the body. 6.9's really do look nice in black don't they?

jjccp

Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to go look at it this weekend.

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846