News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Should I buy? 1978 350SE 4 spd stickshift

Started by mercedesbenz911, 09 February 2012, 03:43 AM

mercedesbenz911

Hello folks,

I'm looking at a 1978 350SE euro spec with the coveted 4 speed manual!  It's got high miles (374k miles) but the engine was rebuilt not too long ago. The interior is not the best and will need some work.  However, the outside looks lovely.  Of course many cars look lovely in pictures but it may be quite different in person...  The good news is that it's been in dry climates all its life so hopefully rust won't be an issue.  It has the evil servo despite being a euro car...

This car is a good 20 hour drive from me so I want to make sure I cover all bases before going all the way there.  The owner is asking $5000 USD which seems quite high to me, but says they are negotiable.  I've asked them for more details about the mechanical condition and will post them when I get em.  Thoughts?

mercedesbenz911

Another plus is that this is a K-jet car not D-jet.

Big_Richard

pompy

I agree, get it. A K-jet V8 manual is super rare.
But negotiate a better deal as that price for that mileage is a tad high.
Keep us posted

Big_Richard

pompy

Ugh, that interior is rotten along with the non-orig velour.

mirafioriman

Personally the manual shift would put me off but if you like manuals it's a rare car. Body looks good in the pictures but as said the interior is not original. Again I guess it's a personal taste issue. It's a long way to travel but if you are going to spend that money then I think you really need to look at it closely.
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

mercedesbenz911

I understand manual shift is the norm in the UK but automatic is the norm in the US.  It's hard to find a stickshift here, especially a stickshift Mercedes, and especially a stickshift V8 W116.  They never sold them here so the only way to get one is to import it from Europe as this one was.

Yeah the seats are ludicrous.  I was thinking I'll either dye them blue along with the door panel fabric or just find another set.  Too bad as just a few months ago I had a set of blue velour heated front AND heated rear W116 seats but alas they were sold.

Hemersam

Purple upholstery with blue trim? Are my eyes deceiving me here?
Hemersam
P.S. Isn't converting the ACC system to manual a huge job?

mercedesbenz911

I believe they were originally blue but they've faded over time due to sun exposure (look at the piping on the seats and the plastic on the back of the backrest - both blue).

As much as I want manual climate control, it is a huge job.  If the ACC doesn't work I might just get the replacement unit from Unwired Tools but that's $$$ IIRC.

Squiggle Dog

Did anyone else notice the added W123 trim between the rear doors and the rear windshield? It almost looks like it belongs there. And yes, that's a rare car to find in the US.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

marku

Had recent experience of going to see a 78 450SEL which online looked really good. Up close it needed a lot of paintwork touching up which would probably be easier to respray. It had only done 117K and the engine was good but the interior worn like yours. Lucky for me that it was no distance faced with such a long run I would want to feel more confident. The dry climate is a plus and any way what's wrong with the D-Jet.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

mercedesbenz911

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 09 February 2012, 01:19 PM
Did anyone else notice the added W123 trim between the rear doors and the rear windshield? It almost looks like it belongs there. And yes, that's a rare car to find in the US.

I thought W116s had that too, but I guess not.  That must point to a respray at some point?  Probably, considering the mileage and age of the vehicle, and difference in condition of the inside and outside.  I hope the exterior is as good as it looks in the photos but somehow I have my doubts.

RustInPeace

Hey! I'm the biggest fan of manual gearshift! I was looking for the same setup: a 350 with manual. Like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/220947442037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This one's in a helluva beautiful condition, everything top in order! Car's done only total 100,568Km ! Last owner moved it less than 3000Kms in the last 2 years.
He didn't have much idea about car technically, like if it's K or D or other fundamental stuff. Just drives the thing to oldtimer events. Man. What do you do there if you're not drinkn' beer and talking diff ratios and TIG welding tricks. Anyway, it's a Nov '76 build year, with 143KW so that's probably the D-Jet (low comp.?) according to the book. Driven steady at 100Km/h it was giving 15L/100.
Maybe the cars are a little cheaper in Germany: the seller is looking for 3999Euro. Manual shifts are rare as hell here too..

I decided against this one after finding a neat 280SE with 5 speed and French lights. Hope to check it out this weekend. Your 20 hour drive makes my 4 hour trip like a ride to buy cigarettes!

Good luck with the deal, hope it works out how you like.
JC
W123 280E 5-speed
* der Rolls-Royce ist DER Mercedes unter den Autos *

marku

1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof