News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

"Settled" for a 116 - couldn't be happier

Started by pmazzaa, 16 October 2018, 03:01 PM

pmazzaa

Ok, so story goes like this. I've been looking for an old merc since I was 18. I had a W124 when I was sixteen but made the stupid decision to sell it. (I was sixteen and it was a lemon and I couldn't afford it) 

So being a fan of classic mercs  and now having a full time job and some money to spend I was in the market for a classic merc to cruise around in on the weekends.  I had my heart set on something with steel bumpers, specifically a W114/115 for over a year of searching. One day I was having lunch and my gum tree let me know a new car had gone up. I checked and saw it was a 1973 W116 450SE, just down the road from where I was. So I decided to have a look even though it's not what I wanted.

I instantly fell in love with it, the V8, the interior, the massive body and the world's most comfortable suspension. With only 121k kms on it and a stuffed driver seat, front gaurd and drivers door I got the price down to $5000. I've had it now for just over a week and have driven it every day, despite the fact it was brought as a weekender.

So now comes my questions and a list of what I think the car needs.

The transmission slips a little between 2nd and 3rd although I've read this is fairly common. Should I be saving for a new one?

It's leaking oil from the SLS valve under the rear axle, is this a serviceable part or am I up for a new one?

What can I do to this engine I love so much to make sure it lasts another 120k kms? And what can I do to make it go just that little better than it is right now that won't send me broke?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings    :)

Mick74

Congratulations from a fellow 116 newbie, Pmazzaa! You look to have got a good deal, so it will be worth spending to improve.
I don't yet have the technical knowledge to assist you, but there are some serious people on this form who could easily challenge Mercedes technicians, so you are in safe hands.
1979 6.9 #6475

Squiggle Dog

It looks like a very clean car. I've never driven another car that feels as comfortable and responsive as a W116.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

TJ 450

Great purchase!

Some things too look into as far as the engine goes to avoid disaster;

Timing chain, tensioner and rails.

Camshaft oil tube plastic fittings.

Fuel hoses, particularly the little short ones on the injectors. It would be worth searching for details as from memory the little short hoses came attached to the injectors.

Otherwise I'm sure you'll enjoy reliable classic motoring... with the transmission, I would start with a fluid and filter change and monitor.

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

karmann_20v

Congrats! Don't be so stingy with the pictures!

Peter

Congrats and welcome to the addiction = more photos would be great and I adore that colour. 5K is a steal for the klms. Cheers

oversize

Change all the fluids and filters. Flush out the cooling system thoroughly and fill with 50% coolant 50% distilled water.

Junk the whole exhaust and go for a 2.5" single, or 2 x 2 1/4" system. Then rig up a cold air intake.

Apart from that a proper tune always helps!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

pmazzaa

Quote from: TJ 450 on 17 October 2018, 04:28 AM
Great purchase!

Some things too look into as far as the engine goes to avoid disaster;

Timing chain, tensioner and rails.

Camshaft oil tube plastic fittings.

Fuel hoses, particularly the little short ones on the injectors. It would be worth searching for details as from memory the little short hoses came attached to the injectors.

Otherwise I'm sure you'll enjoy reliable classic motoring... with the transmission, I would start with a fluid and filter change and monitor.

Tim

Thanks mate, and everyone else for their comments!

Noted and most of those things were on my list, although not so high up. I might have to move them higher.

pmazzaa

Quote from: oversize on 17 October 2018, 09:52 PM
Change all the fluids and filters. Flush out the cooling system thoroughly and fill with 50% coolant 50% distilled water.

Junk the whole exhaust and go for a 2.5" single, or 2 x 2 1/4" system. Then rig up a cold air intake.

Apart from that a proper tune always helps!

Ok coolant system flush is happening soon as it did creep a little higher than normal temp while cruising on Saturday when it was around 30degrees here in Sydney. It does currently have an exhaust but going over that is further down on the list as I'm pretty happy with the sound. What would be the difference between the two setups you suggested? I would be very interested in a cold air intake setup, I've done one on most of my cars. Any recommended setup or thread to follow?

As for the tune, how easily is it done? And is there any compatible aftermarket ecu's?