News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Service Manuals for your 116

Started by michaeld, 11 March 2006, 09:54 PM

michaeld

Let me begin by saying, "YIPEEEEEEEE!!! ;D" - I finally got my ebay-purchased homemade copied version of the Mercedes WIS manual to work.  This is a truly beautiful moment for me, much like Mozart must have felt after writing one of his symphonies 8).

When I bought the manual, it failed to install.  I could view the PDF files, but could not access a main list in order to make use of them.  I literally had to randomly click on files to find anything.  I continued to search for manuals, but again and again, when I asked an ebay seller if it was authentic Mercedes or a copy, it was a copy.  And once bitten, as they say.  I was afraid to buy another copy and have more problems >:(

But last came came the marvelous epiphany.  I found a source - http://homepage.mac.com/dakota/1/index.html - that offers a library index that is superior to the standard Mercedes repair disc format.  Since I was missing whatever it was that made the library index work on my cd, I thought I'd try this version.  Steps: Download the appropriate index from the site, copy your cd to the hard drive, and then copy/paste the program from the cd folder you just made into a folder that the author of the library index has prepared (the instructions are on his site).  With baited breath I clicked on my effort, hoping for a triumphant dispaly of a manual, and then... nothing.

After playing around without success, I tried one last thing.  The library index was opening as a MS Word file.  I right clicked on it, and opened it as a Firefox (my browser) file - and sweet, marvelous manual!!!

The above is intended for those having trouble loading/installing their cd manauals.  It is ALSO a superior library index format for those of you who's manuals are working!

But I am still trying to get more and better manuals for my 116.  I have the Mercedes Technical Companion, which is helpful.  I have the Chilton, and will probabely buy the Haynes.  I would like to buy the 3 volume set of books by Mercedes. 

What manuals have YOU found that have worked best for you?  Where did you find them?  If you have any "service manual" tips, please leave a post for those who are continuing their own searches.

alabbasi

Try the ones that are available on this site, they have pretty much everything you need.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Bratman47

Also try this site www.mbusa.com/heritage/index.do    you will get a web page open the tab for classic center   then open technical literature enjoy

michaeld

Alabassi,
I might be weird but I like to have my own manuals.  I don't want to have to go online every time I want to look something up.  The cd manuals on this site are a great service for members, but for those who want to have their own manuals(like me), and for those who prefer books (also like me), the forum manual isn't adequate for the long haul.  That's why I provided the link and the process to help those who've tried to get cd manuals and then couldn't load them.

Also, there are different manuals out there.  From what I've seen so far, there's the Chilton, the Haynes, and quite a few others.  And Mercedes Benz has a bunch of them.  That last sentence leads me to a question: is the electronic manual on this website contain THE SAME INFORMATION AS the 3 vol. Mercedes book set? Vol 1 contains the M116/M117 Engine service manual; Vol 2-3 contain the series 116 chassis and body service manual.  in addition, I've seen a manual dedicated to the 116 climate control, as well as one devoted to the fuel injection system.  If I got my hands on these, would I have additional/different info from what's on the forum?  I want all the info I can get, but I don't want to buy the same thing twice.

Bratman,
I visited the site you recommended it, but couldn't open anything (and when I saw it, I realized I'd come across it before and couldn't get in then either).  I assume you CAN, or you probably wouldn't have listed it.  What's on the site?  Is it worth banging my head against the wall trying to access it?

Mforcer

Quote from: michaeld on 13 March 2006, 12:40 AM
I visited the site you recommended it, but couldn't open anything (and when I saw it, I realized I'd come across it before and couldn't get in then either).  I assume you CAN, or you probably wouldn't have listed it.  What's on the site?  Is it worth banging my head against the wall trying to access it?

Are you blocking pop-ups? That may be why it is not working for you? Allow pop-ups and try again. It should provide a list of books and CDs available to buy for every MB model.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Bratman47

Michaeld            I need year -model -engine-chassis  I had my pop up on and still had access

michaeld

450SE and Bratman,

Well, when you'all told me there was something in there I wanted and that you could get in I went ahead and tried again.  I had enabled my Java Script (and still couldn't get in), but this time I used my agent switcher to masquerade as internet explorer and got in then [usually enabling Java is adequate]. I was able to look over the info for my vehicle (77 450 SEL M117.986 engine).  Now, unfortunately, I still don't know what I don't have relative to what I do have.  I guess I'll have to call them and - if there's someone intelligent on the other end - see how their manuals relate to the cd manual from MBz of N. America that I have.