News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

S-Class has a secret!

Started by Grant V, 07 October 2007, 10:23 AM

Grant V

Quote from: oscar on 09 October 2007, 10:16 AM

Remember about a year ago we said let's aim for a 6.9 by years end this year.  I went and built a house instead and you've not only beat me to a 6.9 with the rusty one, you've then also grabbed the holy grail as far as I'm concerned. 

Well, chaps, this just proves the old saying: "Be careful of what you wish for, 'cause it might just come true." (IwanttotwintheLotto, IwanttotwintheLotto, IwanttotwintheLotto, IwanttotwintheLotto & IwantaGullwing, IwantaGullwing, IwantaGullwing)

Less than two months ago, S-Class was sixpointnineless, but now he's become a bonafide 6.9 collector. He probably owns 20% or more of the 6.9's in South Africa.
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

s class

Well guys, lets just say I owe Grant a few beers for this one.  Much appreciated. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

Guys, thanks for all the enthusiasm.

Oscar, stop building houses, start looking for cars.... ;)

I hardly feel worthy of this car Oscar.  Its really special.  I almost have too much respect to drive it. 

Craig, the sliders below the dash on the driver's side are part of the kitsh early 80's hifi installation.  Originally the car was delivered with a Becker Mexico, but very soon after it had this rather well done custom install.  I will probably leave it like that since its period. 

This car is original and unrestored.  My intention is to keep it that way.  I will just do the best I can to clean every nook and cranny.  Oh, and the wheel wells and underside quite quickly come up red again with a little cleaning.  This car has a lot of promise.  Keeping it original and unrestored means there is the odd blemish, but I feel its too special for me to go buggering with. 

Is it REALLY an AMG?  I don't think there will ever be conclusive answers to that. 

What I do know is it is a 1 owner car, delivered in Dusseldorf in 1979.  It came out to South Africa in 1980 with its owner who has owned it since.  Since arriving here it has been maintained exclusively by the same mechanic, with whom I had a long chat.  During his curatorship, it apparently early on suffered from failure on one of the heads, because AMG's machining and porting was so extreme that the casting cracked between one of the water ways and an exaust port.  The heads were returned under warranty to AMG who supplied replacements with a slightly less extreme cut.  This weekend I will remove the tappet covers to check chain stretch (never been replaced) and to see if the cams bear any AMG markings.

As much as I don't want to 'bugger' with this car, I think it really needs some 16x8 pentas.  Yes?  No?

Ryan (over the moon happy)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

CraigS

The head problem is not unique to the AMG version I'm sure. I would almost bet that it was between cylinders 5 and 6. Just seems to be a weak point. What is the VIN ? If delivered in 1979 and came out in 1980, it is perhaps failrly close to my red one - depending on how long he kept it there. Obviously you haven't had a chance to really drive the "other" one, but is there any immediate discernible difference in the engine sound/idle etc ? My 2 euros are chalk and cheese. Both extremely fast, compared to the Oz spec ones, but the red one idles like it has a lumpy cam in it. It may or may not, as we haven't pulled the covers off to check the numbers on the cam, but the difference is considerable, and I don't think it is all just down to tuning/timing. Let us know what the markings are.
Interesting also that the tacho is still at 5300.
As for the wheels, I would be more inclined to leave it stock, and put the Pentas on the other one. More of a wolf in sheeps clothing then.
Maybe you can get the data card from Stuttgart, and ask them for the Production Order 1 (Produktions-Auftrag 1), as this will have the break down of option code 992.
Only thing I don't like are the spot lights on the front. They have always seemed to be an after thought to me. You only normally see them on the US spec cars.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

s class

Craig, I don't like putting up my VIN in a public place like this.  I'll just say its in the very late 5000's.  WHich is lower than you might expect for a '79, but I have the original delivery documents signed off by the Dusseldorf dealer as being 7 March 1979. 

As to how they compare, lets just say that for a double owner of 6.9's I have very little experience.  I've driven the standard one only 120km, and this one only 31 km. 

With these limited impressions, I'd say the standard one feels quicker, but has a smooth 'standard' idle.  The AMG has a very lumpy muscle car type idle.  I have seen a lof of cracked vacuum lines on it, including the vac advance which is lying loose - so that may explain why power is less spectacular than one might expect.  I'll get a proper look at it this weekend. 

I have the Producktions-Auftrag 1, confirming the 991 code, and I understand there would be a separate card explaing that which I don't have.  I will certainly be looking into it. 

As to the spotlights, I agree they are unsightly, but I am very hesitant to make changes to this vehicle. 

CraigS

This should have the information on it. There would only be the data card and this. Mine is headed up 992 (as opposed to your 991, but they are essentially the same) and has two items on it - both of which I forget what they are but they seemed insignificant to me to have a separate piece of paper for them. However one is an SA number and the other a KW.

Quote from: s class on 09 October 2007, 01:36 PM

I have the Producktions-Auftrag 1, confirming the 991 code, and I understand there would be a separate card explaing that which I don't have.  I will certainly be looking into it. 

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

s class

styria, yes exactly.  Grant V was a gentleman of the highest grade in this.  After he spotted the car, he apparently deliberated for a while before phoning me, thinking that I had just bought the rusty one and would therefore be fully committed.  I'm sure he did consider it for himself, and that was the first thing I asked him.  I'm sure he has his reasons but he passed it over and then decided I should be given the option.  I'll add that I didn't consider it for very long before making my decision.  I do feel a little guilty still with two, because although 6.9's are not cars that many South African's are aware of, even within the club, there are a few who desire them.  Anyway, it only makes me more determined to care for it in a befitting way.  

Ryan

s class

OK heres the full list as I read it :

568 ?

410  ELECTRIC SLIDING ROOF 

452  TWO-TONE HORN 

470  FAN CLUTCH 

502  OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR, ON THE RIGHT 

511  BECKER RADIO MONZA CASSETTE STEREO LW/MW/SW/USW 

531  AUTOMATIC ANTENNA 

645  M+S TIRES 

682  FIRE EXTINGUISHER 

259  BECKER VK5 ROAD TRAFFIC BROADCASTING DECODER 

260  ELIMINATION OF MODEL DESIGNATION ON REAR LID 

261  ELIMINATION OF MODEL DESIGNATION V12 

I assume in the 70's this referred to the 6.9 badge, or perhaps it means this :

261A  LEATHER BLACK 

339  FRONT SEAT, LEFT LOWER 

340  FRONT SEAT, RIGHT, LOWER 

835  COIR MATS 

877  READING LAMP IN THE REAR 

OK so the produktions car does not list 991.  Some odd ones - coir mats! - and I nearly threw them out thinking they were a home-made affair!
259 probably meant something else in the 70's too. 

CraigS

568 is your paint code - Signal Red
260/261 is elimination of the badges
259 would be right. It's a pity it's still not with the car

The coir mats are pretty rare nowadays, but you can get modern day replacements now. Still not sure I like them though.

Brian Crump

Congratulations on the purchase of this very special and spectacular vehicle. I applaud your decision to care for it in an appropriate way - it looks like it will be used and enjoyed but preserved for the future as well. i hope it gives you many years of satisfaction.
Regards,
BC

Andrew280SEL

Whoa Ryan, that thing is beautiful! :o

Love the seats and the interior style, so classy.

Enjoy and love it! (as I know you will)  :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

s class

Oh dear, thanks for the info on the radio Craig.  As you say, its a real shame it doesn't still have that.  I could try contacting the P.O. on the off chance. 

I was interested to see 645 - M&S tyres, which ties up with the card saying it was delivered with Uniroyal tyres.  Initially Uniroyal had seemed odd to me since I always thought they all had XWX's.

The spare is an apparently unused XWX 215. 

CraigS

s class

Craig, where would that knob go?