News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

ridiculous prices continue........

Started by Des, 11 October 2007, 04:00 AM

CraigS

I guess the question is why would they offer one ? They can sell the parts anyway, so why discount them. The Classic Centre is a little different because they are selling at grossly inflated prices to genuine restorers or enthusiasts, and in either case, they will pay the money, irrespective of the cost, so to give a 15% discount (not 10%) costs them nothing.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Des

....well surely logic would dictate that you would sell more hubcaps at $200 a piece than say $500

I don't know!

It just makes me think there is shelves and shelves of parts somewhere that are never going to be sold because they are too overpriced and will probably end up in a landfill before then end up on some people's Benzes.

CraigS

Unfortunately, I don't think logic comes into too many businesses. If you want to buy hubcaps, you will buy them. You can't get them from anyone else. If you are the type of person who wants their car to look as good as you can make it, then you will soend the money. Those that don't care, won't, and I don't think discounting the price is going to persuade those that don't care, to rush out and buy a set.

I had the same discussion here with the company that runs the catering concesssion at the airport. They charge 10 Lira (almost A$10) for a 500ml beer, which is grossly inflated compared to a bar, which will charge 4 Lira. My argument was that if they made it 6 Lira, all of those people that would hesitiate at 10 Lira, would probably buy at 6 Lira, and hence they would have a higher volume of sales, which in turn would increase their profit. What did they do ? They increased the price !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

SELfor50

The hubcap prices are fukn ri-cock-ulous!!!  >:(

I get well worked up by the fact that anytime i've asked for a quote on items (in australia) I get the standard answer of monstrous amounts of $$$.
Just cause I drive a merc, don't mean i'm fukn loaded..."i'm a conservationist". EDIT: (Meant to quote this from OBH, thanks mate good line! ;)  )

BUuuuuuut.....  Before i got the merc, i never knew a fukn thing about cars except where the dip-stick was and how to put petrol in.
And to be honest, the best thing that's ever happened to me was being over-charged for stuff.
It made me learn how the hell to work on my own car and 'extend my trade' as my father says.

PB, valid point!! I smoke, and occasionally drink.  But i've also had people tell me to stop wasting money on cars cause they don't make a return...this coming from someone who insists on spending HUNDREDS of $$$ on a monthly basis to keep their PC up to date for (and buying) the latest games.  Computer technology devalues even quicker than cars.

Overall, I don't put a price on enjoyment... if spending money on a car makes you happy..
Who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks.

$500 for 1 hubcap is STILL FUCKED UP THOUGH!!!

oscar

All prices in AUD
Re hubcaps: about 4yrs ago I was locally quoted $25 used, $50 new unpainted.  Surely they couldn't have inflated 10 fold in that time. 

But the most ridiculous prices I've been quoted have not been from dealers or MB independants.  For the following items that is, local parts stores wanted $400 for a blue bosch coil, $55 for Febi suspension fluid per litre, $360 for bosch ignition leads and $50 for a ryco brand inferior oil filter
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

I don't know about the rest of the world but in AUS I think we are being ripped off blind.

Ten years ago parts prices were very reasonable even from a dealer. I bought complete tie rods for about $70, cheaper than for the Ford I had at the time which were about $110. Same with headlamp lenses, Mercedes-Benz around $200, can't recall exactly, Ford was over $300.

But things have changed, the pricing on spheres discussed recently elsewhere is an example, I reckon prices have doubled in the last 2 or 3 years.

Some things like exhaust components were always a bit over the top though.

I don't know if the prices we pay for 116 parts is typical of the prices asked for more recent vehicle parts.

I don't mind paying a bit over the odds for consumables like filters and the like, nor do I mind waiting a few weeks for parts from Germany (I've never been asked to cover post charges BTW) as long as I can get them. I'm starting to have doubts about the notion that everything is available for every model for ever, I'm hearing NLA - No Longer Available more and more.

Is it possible that the stock of 116 parts has been transferred to the classic center and they now charge like wounded bulls?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

nathan

best inflation ever?
ive mentioned this one before
i bought the 2 new metal wires for the front emergency 6.9 rubber blocks in 02 for about 15 dollars each...cant find my receipt at present...when iwanted some more for goldy this year, quoted 270 dollars...yes, 270 dollars - each...hmmm...maybe they started using gold to forge the cable out of

1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

116Benz

My biggest bitch about parts prices is that I never get a phone call back, the local Benz guys used to be brilliant, if I needed anything, I made a call, got the price, handed over the card number and 3 days later I had the parts. Now I ring Canberra or shop at Autohausaz, adsitco or performanceparts and ebay, even emailing Styria for some parts. The longest I have to wait is a week, the sad part is only one of those places is in Australia. As much as there are those out there that will spend bottomless pits of money on their cars, thats their choice I have no opinion on that at all. Some of us, however will go for the best deal possible wether it means supporting the locals or not.

TJ 450

I was quoted $1000 AUD for the front left brake caliper from "a local dealer", although the lining for the timing chain tensioner slide was ~$25 or so.
Last weekend I purchased 3L of hydro oil @ $50/L. I thought the brake caliper was somewhat expensive, although I was happy to fork out $150 for the hydro fluid... it's satisfying to know I have the correct fluid in there  ;)
I have been getting a lot of parts from autohausaz.com, which is excellent, I reckon. The price difference is huge (although a lot of the parts are OEM of course)!
Interestingly, my Dad was quoted ~$300 per Taillight lens for his 107 SL in 1999, I bet they are at least twice the price now!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

I have found Mercedes South Africa's pricing to seem quite fair.  Often expensive, yes, but fair.  I chose to buy my struts here because their price was the same as if I bought from Niemoeller plus postage plus taxes.  Spheres on the other hand I got from Autohaus for about half what the dealer wants.  But that is generally unusual.  90% of my spares come from the main dealer here.

I would be considered one of the top private customers at the main dealer here, accordingly I enquired if I could qualify for some sort of disocunt.  I was told that many panel beaters have accounts with them  many times larger than I spend, and they dont get discount, so why should I?

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

just remembered - today I bought 10 litres  :o of hydro fluid at the main dealer (I have 2 cars that need suspension work) - price was ZAR72 or about AUS$ 12 per litre.  From what I read here, that's cheap compared to what you guys pay.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Des on 11 October 2007, 04:11 AM
I would like to hear from other members......

"What is the most ridiculous price you have ever been given from a Mercedes Benz dealer, for a part?"

How about a new distributor for an M110 (W116):
Mercedes-Benz Australia price (through local stealership) - $2,370.  Ex-Melbourne, delivery three-four days.
MB Spares (Canberra) - $110 (genuine tristar-branded Bosch, not 'Claytons').  In stock, delivery next day.

'Nuff said.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Andrew280SEL

That is just wrong OBH!  :o

No wonder everyone calls them 'stealerships'. >:(

I haven't had the horror of dealing with the stealerships, and by the sounds of things I shouldn't.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 11 October 2007, 11:07 PM
That is just wrong OBH!  :o

No wonder everyone calls them 'stealerships'. >:(

I haven't had the horror of dealing with the stealerships, and by the sounds of things I shouldn't.

I must grant credit where it's due, though: the local stealership is usually a good place (and certainly the only local one) to buy the correct fuses for my Benzes.  They're even an acceptable price (like cents).  Pretty useless and overpriced for anything else.

The former principal of the local stealership (in its and his former guises) advised me years ago to find myself a good independent service place, as his workshop employees were now all 'technicians', and anything vaguely physical and more complex than changing an oil filter was beyond their computer-based knowledge or interest.  I give him 10 out of nine for honesty, at least.  (Boris used to be that fellow's wife's car.)

Needless to say, I followed his advice.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Des

Styria, I hope you didn't think I was having a go at you, just making some comments about prices of parts, you don't decide the prices MB charges you for the parts.

I do appreciate your help in these matters as you have always been a most helpful chap and others here will testify to that.