News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

ridiculous prices continue........

Started by Des, 11 October 2007, 04:00 AM

nim205

Quote from: CraigS on 14 October 2007, 01:39 PM
But who does Autohaus get it from ? MB of course, so if Autohaus can sell it for that price, why can't MB ?

I'm not familiar with the specifics, but I can attest that the part I received was a brand new Bosch part, in an original Bosch (not MB) box.

While ordering online I had some concerns, so I called the Autohausaz customer support, and the friendly lady on the other line matched the MB and Bosch #'s making sure it was indeed correct, and recommending I buy a gasket for it as well. I paid about $50 USD for 3 day shipping of this part and a lot of other stuff I needed (total order $680).

At the dealership it was, admittedly, simpler. I presented the data card, and the parts guy looked it up on his computer, told me there was such a part in stock, and the price it cost. After successful CPR, I said "no thanks" and left.

Since Bosch is the OEM for the D-Jet, and MB buys from them just like Autohausaz, but in addition to Arizona also keeps a worldwide network of overpriced storerooms just so any snot-nosed nobody can walk in, flash a 32 year old data card, and get what he wants in just a few minutes, their enormous overhead is surely reflected in the final price. Still, I'll buy from the cheapest source. But that's just me. I'm sure everybody else will gladly pay 3-4 times the lowest market price for the fun of it.

OzBenzHead

Quote from: oscar on 14 October 2007, 10:45 AM[...] But how's that for advertising, living the dream, keeping up appearances, giving MB credibility for quality design, engineering and durability 34 years on.

That is true of my experience, too.

Whether it be Boris (116) or my W108 (Karl) or Bela (W112 coupe), I frequently get similar reactions. Especially Boris, because he doesn't look all that old or "classicky", blows them away when they are told his age.  They then drive away in their Commonwhores and Frauds, grinning and shaking their heads.

I've even had total strangers offering their commiserations this week when they see Boris's hail-battered bonnet.

Go the tristar!   ;D ;D
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

carl888

Quote from: CraigS on 14 October 2007, 01:39 PM
But who does Autohaus get it from ? MB of course, so if Autohaus can sell it for that price, why can't MB ?

Quote from: nim205 on 13 October 2007, 02:50 PM

The only way to lower prices is by lowering demand or increasing supply. The internet has done just that. To give an example, my local dealership wanted about $500 USD for a cold-start injector. I got it from Autohausaz for about $150, and the MB dealership will be stuck with their parts until they realise they have to make a smaller profit if they want to sell.

Hi Craig,

The reason is that an authorised dealer cannot buy parts direct from Bosch like we (Or AutoHausaz) can.  They are obliged to purchase everything through Mercedes-Benz.

Regards,

Carl.

CraigS

That may be true, but these are what I would call "sub-contractor" parts. What about all the others that are MB exclusive ? For example, the wire holder bracket, which autohaus sells for $3.33 or thereabouts and Bill bought his for A$7.00 odd. I don't think Autohaus would be buying this from anyone except MB, so why the difference ? This may be a low cost part, but the variation is indicative of what is happening.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

carl888

Good point Craig!

I dunno.

Regards,

Carl.

fantasyfreddy

I read in "Battle of the Diesel Beaters" in Car and Driver Mag (in which a 1980 300sd kinda won the  cross-USA race), about a company called www.adsitco.com.   They look like they have great Mercedes replacement parts (new not made by benz, and refurbished made by benz) including engines for decent prices.  Good luck!
Then there is always EBay, or junk yards too!

Sev

Quote from: Des on 11 October 2007, 04:00 AM
Patrick among others in the past has made reference to the ridiculous prices Mercedes Benz seem to expect for their parts.

Was chatting today to a forum member, we were talking about the $500 AU new price Mercedes want for 1 single, solitary hubcap, unpainted.

Just makes you shake your head in disgust really.

Yes I am an ambassador to Mercedes excellent supply of parts for cars going back decades, but, and its a BIG but they need to be reasonably priced.

yes I don't expect a new hubcap for $20, $200? maybe, $500 odd, when you add that up for 4 is 2 grand.
more than what many of our vintage W123', W116's would bring on the market.

just a little rant,

:(

Do you think this unreasonable pricing is worldwide? Or do you think it's limited to Australia?

koan

Quote from: Sev on 25 October 2007, 02:46 AM

Do you think this unreasonable pricing is worldwide? Or do you think it's limited to Australia?

I noticed a big jump in dealership parts prices when Daimler-Chrysler bought out privately owned "Mercedes of Melbourne".

This was coincident with 116s becoming "classics" so I don't know if total ownership of the dealership was the cause.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

ptashek

Quote from: Des on 11 October 2007, 04:11 AM
I would like to hear from other members......

"What is the most ridiculous price you have ever been given from a Mercedes Benz dealer, for a part?"

I'm resurrecting this old thread, as I think MB needs to be shamed publicly for their pricing policy. Yes, they do a great job on keeping stock of OEM parts, but those parts can be gotten elsewhere and I'm not convinced those are necessarily worse grade as MB (and other OEMs, actually) would want everyone to believe.

I was yesterday quoted for timing chain replacement (chain, tensioner, all three sprockets, guides, oilers and gaskets) by a MB service shop in Dublin, Ireland a nifty sum of 4852.04 euro (parts and labor), with the disclaimer that once the engine is stripped further costs may be incurred. Knowing local shops, I bet there would be "further costs". OK, I understand doing all the sprockets is a big job, but it can't be THAT big  :o

For that amount, I could almost buy a fully re-built 117.986 for Goldilocks.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Big_Richard

ptashek

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 04 September 2012, 05:16 PM
that price is insane.

if you do it your self you could do it for 1/4 of that quote, or less!

Even less. I have so far found a complete set of the required parts for under 450EUR, new. I haven't done anything mechanical of this magnitude on a car, but potentially facing a 4852eur bill I have every incentive to try :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

entresz

I had to buy a fuel pump for my 450SE recently, and at one place I was quoted $800..... yet another MB parts dealer near by had the same part for $250....... it's obscene!
1975 Mercedes-Benz 280SE
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300D
Previous cars:
1979 Mercedes-Benz 450SE
1982 Mercedes-Benz 280E

WGB

Quote from: ptashek on 04 September 2012, 07:04 PM
Even less. I have so far found a complete set of the required parts for under 450EUR, new. I haven't done anything mechanical of this magnitude on a car, but potentially facing a 4852eur bill I have every incentive to try :)

You can probably do it for less than that and I have self taught myself due to the high cost of getting others to do it.

It can be a very satisfying experience when it all goes right.

Bill

ZCarFan

Quote from: ptashek on 04 September 2012, 05:12 PM
Quote from: Des on 11 October 2007, 04:11 AM
I would like to hear from other members......

"What is the most ridiculous price you have ever been given from a Mercedes Benz dealer, for a part?"

I'm resurrecting this old thread, as I think MB needs to be shamed publicly for their pricing policy. Yes, they do a great job on keeping stock of OEM parts, but those parts can be gotten elsewhere and I'm not convinced those are necessarily worse grade as MB (and other OEMs, actually) would want everyone to believe.

I was yesterday quoted for timing chain replacement (chain, tensioner, all three sprockets, guides, oilers and gaskets) by a MB service shop in Dublin, Ireland a nifty sum of 4852.04 euro (parts and labor), with the disclaimer that once the engine is stripped further costs may be incurred. Knowing local shops, I bet there would be "further costs". OK, I understand doing all the sprockets is a big job, but it can't be THAT big  :o

For that amount, I could almost buy a fully re-built 117.986 for Goldilocks.

For that amount of money I'd expect you could have a machine shop create the parts from billets.  Maybe less even.

TJ 450

That price means that they would rather you go elsewhere! I assume this was the dealer?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500