News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Repair Manuals - Chilton vs Haynes

Started by thysonsacclaim, 23 February 2011, 08:50 PM

thysonsacclaim

Hey guys, doing all this work I decided to buy some manuals since I've decided I really would like to do everything I can to restore the car and keep it long term. I appreciate the online manual, and print those pages I need out. There is still something about a hard copy I just can't get away from, though.

I should point out, it really wasn't worthwhile for me to buy the books in a store and see them in person first since:

a) they don't have them in stock and need to be ordered
b) you can get NOS books on Amazon for diiiiiiirt cheap ($1.15 for Haynes, $8 for Chilton)

I've been told the M-B manuals are very good, and they seem to be from the photos some of you good gents have sent me and those I've seen online. I've yet to find them, but I intend on snatching up a copy when I can afford one.

However, I thought I'd point out that the Chilton's manual, ISBN-13: 978-0-8019-9076-2, seems a lot better than the Haynes book I bought. The Haynes book essentially reads like: "Unscrew bolt 2, 3 and 4, then proceed to get upper, rear, left northsouthwest bolt on flange above coupling below frame." In other words, you need a hell of an imagination because it has few pictures in it.

So newcomers, if you need a book for your car, do check out the Chilton's.

What's your guys' take? Know any other books?

WGB

I own the lot and they both have advantages /disadvantages.

Haynes are more model specific and Chilton  usually covers several models in less depth for each particular car.

Chilton does US emission gear better.

Nothing beats the original manuals but most of the 116 stuff can be obtained here anyway.

Bill

TJ 450

I do everything with the online/PDF manuals these days, but to start with I read up on the W123 manual, which was surprisingly useful for getting my bearings on the car so to speak.

The MB service literature gets to the point without any nonsense which is good.

Tim 
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500