News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

remanufacturing or reproducing NLA parts

Started by floyd111, 12 October 2017, 03:52 AM

floyd111

Lots have been said about this before.
After receiving a very friendly quote for a batch of 6.9 baffle plates in glass fiber, the factory guy asked me if there would be other parts I would like to see reproduced.
First thing that came to mind were the firewall grommets. Easy job, once the 1200usd tooling costs has been paid for(!)
I also mentioned the hyper costly 6.9 suspension parts. We have a 6.9 standing here, and we'll be slowly looking into refurbishments and reproductions.
Still, I would like some input from those that know more about this then me.
For panels, as well as such grommets, the tooling cost seems to be the same for both.
In that light, what could be a good part-candidate for such a venture?

ptashek

If you want to do this on a commercial basis, better lawyer up first. Daimler is sure to go after any unlicensed design use.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

I wasn't planning commercial ventures. I have an income already, and no need to squeeze the system for more.
I am also aware that, whether I want to profit or not is not a legal consideration for MB.

I am merely thinking creating the product, so people can help themselves to what they need at the producer's, without me involved
Getting some parts produced is not enough of an effort for the Wages of Sin become a must.

marku

Mercedes classic department will re-manufacture. Have read of them doing a few really obscure parts for the early SLs etc. You get to pay for the re-tooling and then they offer the part generally.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

rumb

I contacted a company today and am exploring some sort of urethane casting.  material will be tough and flexible.  more later.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio