News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Re: those little extras that make our w116s more "homey"

Started by michaeld, 26 November 2006, 10:57 PM

michaeld

Just out of curiousity, what have you "added" to your car to make it more comfortable?

Cup holders, compasses or GPS devices, stereo controls, seat covers, little car trash cans, rear view mirror "fuzzy dice" decorations, etc.  You know, "extras."

This may be a dud thread, but I thought it might be interesting to see what other people are doing in the privacy of their cabins (their little "fortresses of solitude").  As one example, I have wanted to stick a drink holder somewhere, but just don't know what kind to get or where to put it.  How have some of you geniuses solved the drink problem?

Pictures (and even brand names) might be nice, so a truly good "extra" can be had by all!
Mike

P.S. Now, someone who doesn't bother to stick to the point of the thread might decide to include exterior fashion stuff (like wheels, exhaust pipe mods, etc).  I hereby give my blessing for "exterior extras" as well.

If you ever bought something to solve a particular need or creative-fashion whim, and you still think you're glad you did it, let's see it!

oscar

Cupholders would be good.  I found myself incapable of driving the other day with 2 takeaway coffees and nowhere to put them and no passengers to give them to.  I have no brilliant ideas for a solution though.  Perhaps I'll dig out the top of the armrest and fill it with a plastic moulded cupholder from another car. 

The other thing I'd like to do but haven't yet, is hard wire the becker radio aux in plug to my ipod, plus add an amp and better speakers.

Oh, there was one other plan. Externally, for the 350, I've lost the desire for alloys.  I like hubcaps again but I want thick 3" whitewall tyres.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

Oscar, one regret I have with my iPOD set up is that the volume for the iPOD can only be done from the iPOD; I would like to use the volume controller on the Becker to do both the radio and the iPOD; no idea if this is possible as I never thought to ask.....

I wouldnt mind one of those centre console boxes in Burl either - look quite smart and might store a coffee cup?

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

s class

My mods have been more practical.  In my 280SE I have a modified 350SE radiator with the triple layer core, off-board header tank in order to address cooling problems in very hot and sunny South Africa.  It was a challenge, because I had to have the radiator completely disassembled, and reassembled in mirror image to get the engine oil cooler onto the opposite side as required by the twincam six.  The other problem I discovered later was the top main water hose connection was larger diameter, so I had a struggle to find a hose that would work.  Ended up (horror of horrors) with a BMW325 hose. 

My M110 also had the troublesome exhaust manifold arrangement of two stubby 3-1 headers feeding into a cramped Y-piece.  As anyone who owned such a M110 would know, the gaskets between the headers and the Y-piece constantly fail due to flexing, and the Y-piece tends to split.  I kid you not, I removed, seam welded, and refitted the Y-piece about 10 times in 2 years.  Got it down to about 5 hours for a total in-machine-out job.  Eventually I gave up and fitted the different shaped 3-1 headers from a 280E.  These don't use the Y-piece, and I installed two separate exhaust downpipes, and a true dual system  ;D big bore  ;D.  The 2 down pipes were a challenge to find space for where there was previously only one. 

Otherwise the car is standard, unless you count 205/70HR14 tyres in place of the skinny 185SR14's that the 280SE was originally specified with. 

I don't like mods myself, and the ones I have done I considered essential to keep the car viable as daily transport.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL