News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Raptelan's 1980 300SD crashed

Started by 1980sdga, 26 September 2011, 11:12 AM

1980sdga

Quote from: Raptelan on 26 September 2011, 10:22 AM
A semi turned left right into me today and totaled the 300SD (and cracked my ribs).  The whole front end is mashed in about a foot; the door that I had to kick open won't close now, both doors are damaged, the front axle is badly bent, the windshield is broken, and even the muffler is broken loose.

Sad day.  :'(

On the bright side, if I were in a lighter car, I'd probably be dead.  Gotta look on the bright side...

WTF?  Glad to hear you're OK but this is sad indeed  :'(

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 26 September 2011, 11:12 AM
WTF?  Glad to hear you're OK but this is sad indeed  :'(

Yeah, they said it was clearly the semi driver's fault and he admitted it was his fault too, but I surely won't get as much from the claim as what I've put into the car.  And now I'm having to drive the 450SE which means 3x the gas cost.  >:(

Actually it wasn't a semi - it was a large freight truck - no separate trailer but nearly as big.

motec6.9

Hi glad to hear you are ok sorry about the car but at least you are ok all the best with the recovery with your ribs
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

Casey

I don't know how it  works with  buying the wreck but if it's reasonable maybe I can do that.  Then I can replace the bad engine and broken radiator in the 300CD, use some W116 parts on the 450SE, and part out the rest.

jbrasile

Oh no Casey!!!!

I am glad you are ok!!! The car probably saved you life!

At any rate, similar accident  happened to me about 5 years ago with the  74 280S...I was very sad too, the car was absolutely immaculate, I bought it form the original owner, etc... BUT because of it, I ended up buying my current 78 450SEL, which is a great car too!!!

First thing to do now is to cancel your current order so you don't spend any more money on the 300SD, can I go ahead and cancel it?

This is what I suggest: Collect as much as you can from the other guys insurance policy. Since you were injured you should be able to receive some money from his policy for that + a fair value for the car + keep the salvage, the insurance company should have no problem accepting that since the last thing they want is an old wrecked Mercedes to dispose of.

Once that is settled, I suggest you sell one of the other two cars, see how much money you end up with and find the best 300SD you can. You have a lot of new stuff to transplant into the new car and then you part out what's left. These are just suggestions of course.

Again I am glad you are all right.

Tks and take care,

Joe

Casey

Quote from: jbrasile on 26 September 2011, 04:10 PM
I am glad you are ok!!! The car probably saved you life!

For sure.  This is the #1 reason I drive Mercedes.  It's not for the image or whatever, though they can be quite beautiful cars.

QuoteAt any rate, similar accident  happened to me about 5 years ago with the  74 280S...I was very sad too, the car was absolutely immaculate, I bought it form the original owner, etc... BUT because of it, I ended up buying my current 78 450SEL, which is a great car too!!!

*nods*  Life brings whatever it might, and you've just gotta roll with the punches and figure out how to make the best of the bad!  It's always good to wake up to the next day, so I'm thankful for that. :)

QuoteFirst thing to do now is to cancel your current order so you don't spend any more money on the 300SD, can I go ahead and cancel it?

Please do.  Sorry about that...

QuoteThis is what I suggest: Collect as much as you can from the other guys insurance policy. Since you were injured you should be able to receive some money from his policy for that + a fair value for the car + keep the salvage, the insurance company should have no problem accepting that since the last thing they want is an old wrecked Mercedes to dispose of.

That would be sweet if they just let me hold on to it, but I thought you had to buy the cars back from the wrecker?

QuoteOnce that is settled, I suggest you sell one of the other two cars, see how much money you end up with and find the best 300SD you can. You have a lot of new stuff to transplant into the new car and then you part out what's left. These are just suggestions of course.

*nods*, I was thinking along the same lines.  Or I might just put the money away and drive the 450SE for a while.  According to nada.com, the car's worth $8,600 average retail, or $12k high retail.  It was definitely in good shape but I don't know what I might be able to expect the insurance company to pony up.  I'll be happy for whatever I can get.

Squiggle Dog

I'm so sad to hear about this. We've enjoyed your posts and it's a shame to see all of that hard work lost. I'm sure the way the car was designed and built saved you from further injury. I feel very safe in my 300SD, I just hope that I never crash it! I'd definitely buy the 300SD back from the insurance company and use the parts in another one, then sell whatever parts are left over.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

jbrasile

Ok Casey,

I will cancel the order right now.

With regards to keeping the salvaged vehicle, I don't think this is written in stone, especially since we are talking about a 31 year old MB. The best approach is to negotiate with the insurance company as much as possible and try to convince them that disposing of the car may cost them more than if they let you keep it, ideally you don't even want it to go to a dismantler. Maybe showing them all the money you invested in the car with receipts etc... will help your point.

If you can afford the gas the 450SE would make a great  daily driver, but boy it will not be cheap...

Tks,

Joe

Ilike300sd

Holy crap!  This sucks!  Glad you are o.k. (except for ribs) The last wreck I saw involving a semi was a lady driving a little honda civic.  She did not make it and that was only on a 40 mph road!  So it really is likely the MB saved you most likely.  I sent you a pm, please read, thanks!

Casey

Got an X-ray and my ribs aren't broken, they're just bruised and maybe dislocated a bit.  So it should heal up fast.  Back is sore now, though. :/

Either my luck/karma is just really really bad, or this state and all it's crazy drivers are too risky for my blood.  Or both.  I thought it was a great opportunity to get the 300SD of my dreams after wrecking the W124 (my fault), but then had two accidents that I couldn't avoid at the faults of others in the 300SD. :'(

arman

Sorry to hear this Casey but glad to read that you are relatively allright yourself. I hope you will feel better soon.

I think Joe has a good point. Try to convince the insurance company to let you keep the remnants for a reasonable amount. Then you decide what to do. I think if you keep the OM617 for the 300CD and part out the 300SD car, it could be good business in the end.

Good luck with it!

BR Arman
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

Mforcer

Glad you are relatively OK too!

That car held up well against the semi and comforts me knowing I drive the same chassis.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

KenM

Sorry for your loss there Casey, good thing the truck didn't hit 3 feet further back right in the driver's door, must have been travelling at a fair whack to knock you around so much

Coulda been worse, as Joe says maybe a silver lining might emerge at some point.

jbrasile

Ooooouch!!!!

I got almost the same kind of damage except yours is on the left and mine was on the right.... take a look... this was done by a Fiat Palio that ran a stop sign doing about 35 mph. Driver was a young girl, no seat belt and probably drunk or on something else... she flew onto the passenger seat and hit her head on the windshield, miraculously  only broke her foot, it got caught under the brake pedal when she took off upon impact...

Glad the ribs aren't broken.

Take care,

Joe

1980sdga

Stick to your guns with the insurance company. They may send you a low ball check hoping to get off cheap. DON'T CASH IT! Hold out for more $$. I'd say market value for a good example would be around $6000. Yours was a good example... It's the insurance companies responsibility to "make you whole" and that means another 300SD or the $$ to buy another one.

You may be able to do a "buy back" with a salvage title.  I would look into that as well.

Since it was a commercial vehicle hit you they may want to deal.

I'd take down my hooning vids on the tube until this is over...