News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Raptelan's 1980 300SD crashed

Started by 1980sdga, 26 September 2011, 11:12 AM

jbrasile

Casey, I second Jon's opinion, be firm with the insurance company and don't settle for any amount until you are satisfied. Don't forget that the other vehicle's policy also covers injury and that should also be taken into account in your case.

Tks,

Joe

Casey

Quote from: KenM on 27 September 2011, 07:03 AM
Sorry for your loss there Casey, good thing the truck didn't hit 3 feet further back right in the driver's door, must have been travelling at a fair whack to knock you around so much

It couldn't have been going that fast, as it was turning left into where my car is in those pictures.  Granted it didn't stop before turning (or use a turn signal), but I think the problem was more the sheer weight of the truck and it's inability to be easily stopped more than speed.

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 27 September 2011, 08:01 AM
Stick to your guns with the insurance company. They may send you a low ball check hoping to get off cheap. DON'T CASH IT! Hold out for more $$. I'd say market value for a good example would be around $6000. Yours was a good example... It's the insurance companies responsibility to "make you whole" and that means another 300SD or the $$ to buy another one.

According to http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1980/Mercedes-Benz/300SD/4-Door-Sedan/Values $6000 would be pretty lowball.

The problem is my insurance is cheap liability-only, so I'm at the mercy of the other guy's insurance.  I'm not sure how I have any bargaining power at all.

QuoteSince it was a commercial vehicle hit you they may want to deal.

How do you mean?  The Safety Director of the company drove out and gave me the card of the General Manager of the company along with his name...but just said the insurance should pay for everything.

QuoteI'd take down my hooning vids on the tube until this is over...

Showing a car's acceleration ability completely outside of any traffic doesn't equate to bad driving, but yeah, no point in leaving it around for now I suppose.  Yes, I've tended to drive too fast and have a number of tickets to show for it, but I've always been a courteous driver - leaving plenty of room in front of me, not cutting people off, letting people in who use turn signals, etc.  It's the aggressive rude pricks that you have to worry about, usually driving new Hyundai's, Kia's, or Dodge's.

Casey

Quote from: jbrasile on 27 September 2011, 07:53 AM
I got almost the same kind of damage except yours is on the left and mine was on the right....

That must have been a serious bummer too.  But I notice my bumper didn't bend like yours. ;)

1980sdga

They probably owe you a rental car to use looking for your new 300SD  ;D

Gerard

I'm very sorry about your car, but glad that you did not come off as badly.  Hang in there, get another one, bounce back!
G

gavin116

Hi Casey

Sorry to hear about the 300SD!  What a bummer, but on the bright side you're okay and you have the 450 you can drive.  It may still make you switch allegiance...

Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

calvin streeting

oh no..... bad luck,  :( lets hope it works out better in the end :)

TJ 450

Damn,

That really sucks. It's good news that you're OK though.

I almost got T-boned by a garbage truck this morning (in the 190E). Lucky it was at low speed, but the truck pulled up with about two feet between it and my driver's door. It was a stop sign, and they just continued rolling through as I was passing. They jumped on the brakes when I blasted the horn, as clearly, they didn't see me.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Casey

Insurance company said today they're "probably" going to accept liability.  They said it may be a total loss as from the pictures, it doesn't look like it will buff right out.  They are going to send some company out to inspect it.

How do I negotiate with them - what leverage do I have?  Is there some sort of professional I can hire to do the bargaining for me or would it not be worth the bother?

calvin streeting

Quote from: Raptelan on 30 September 2011, 09:35 AM
Is there some sort of professional I can hire to do the bargaining for me

or are there any on here that can help?  fingures crossed for you

jbrasile

Casey,

What you need to do is "sell" to the insurance company that your car has already attained classic status and would be pretty hard to replace. On top of that, the car had been going through a restoration and you spent $$$ on parts and labor, show them all the copies of my invoices to you. Try to add all of your investment on top of the highest possible published value for a 1980 300SD.

Don't be affraid to throw a substantial number at them since you will only get a fraction of that anyway. And push to try and stay with the salvage if possible for free unless you can squeeze a nice number out of them!!!

And please don't forget that you were injured in the accident, and therefore they owe you compensation under the trucks liability policy for bodily injury. If they don't want to hear it, get an attorney and sue, I am 100% sure you are going to be pleased with the results.

Many years ago back in LA, an old guy on a mopped crossed in front of me as I was making a left turn and hit my Audi. He flow off the bike, hit his head on the handlebars and hurt one of his hands. He sued me for 100k claiming he could not work anymore, bla, bla.... after a meeting between his attorney and my insurance company + my testimony he lost his argument but my insurance settled anyway and he received maximum for bodily injury out of my liability policy. I hate how we have become a "lawsuit happy" society in America, BUT what's fair is fair.

One important piece of advice is, DO NOT accept any checks or monetary compensation unless you are 100% satisfied with the amount.

Take care,

Joe
Which insurance company is it? Allstate, Farmers?

1980sdga

Let them know you are an enthusiast who cares about his car  8)  Come up with several sources that have recent sales of your car and copy your receipts from recent replacement parts.

I'd be looking for that perfect 300SD replacement  8) Sell that coupe and put the $$ into the 450..

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 30 September 2011, 06:46 PM
I'd be looking for that perfect 300SD replacement  8) Sell that coupe and put the $$ into the 450..

http://forum.w116.org/shop/wtb-my-next-w116/  <-- please help me find it.

I don't want to sell the coupe.  I want to get it running so I can have reasonable gas mileage to/from work again.

The 450 is a nice ride, but it needs it's share of restoration work and I'm not up for putting that kind of effort into a car that's not my ideal one - I'll fix various issues over time but it probably won't get a lot of focus.  It has some rust issues and needs repainted.  Ideally, I'll either find another 300SD, or get an SEL chassis and build a custom 300SDL.  I want to merge the interiors of the 300SD and 450SE to do a two-tone effect.  I still have the original dream of having an as-new condition diesel W116 so that's what I'm intending to pursue.

TJ 450

If I was faced with that situation, I would drive around in the 450 for a while and keep an eye out for a nice SD with a stuffed engine/trans.

I'd try and retain the crashed SD, then swap the engine/trans over into the new chassis.

Otherwise, I'd put the SD engine in the 123, then find another SD in due course.

Just some ideas. 8)

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500