News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

PROJECT "OBTAIN A 6.9"

Started by s class, 08 October 2006, 12:09 AM

s class

South Africa is an interesting place.  If I choose my routes I can drive around for a week and see nothing other than first world environs.  Take a different turn and in 5km you are in the centre of poverty and squalor.  Styria - about Rhodesia - I think the inequitability they had is a few degrees worse than South Africa.  We have successfully had a revolt (actually relatively peaceful) by the middle class blacks.  As is wont to be the case in most societies, regardless of what political upheavals take place, the poorest wretches always remain at the bottom of the pile and see little change. 

There is a very dominant force of black yuppies here now.  If one sees a high value recent model car on the roads, 90% of the time it will be blacks.  Popular cars are now 7-series, 5-series (for the less well heeled yuppies), Chrysler 300C, Jeeps, S55AMG, E55AMG, ML55.  In fact most top end Mercs are owned by blacks.  If you see a more modest car like a C240, that will probably be whites.  And many of these new style yuppies are paying monthly mortgage repayments that are about 50% of the value of my 450SL, every month!.  So yes, in South Africa, whites tend to be more middle of the road working class types, but within the black community there is a huge spectrum from the living-on-a-dollar-a-day type up to spectacularly wealthy. 

I have only once in my life had a car stolen, many years ago.  So as bad as things sound, if one is careful, one can get by. 

Ryan in South Africa.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL