News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

potential addition to the fleet

Started by davestlouis, 06 June 2006, 11:12 PM

davestlouis

I found a neat car today and made an offer to the owner:  1991 W126 300SE, white with black leather, 41,000 miles with a largely-full service history.  He changed the oil over the weekend, didn't latch the hood all the way, the hood blew up, smashed the windshield, and while he couldn't see, he hit the right side against a guardrail, and skinned it up.  Further, there's lots of negative camber in the back wheels, so he ran over something too.  I quoted a retail repair @ $11800, which will make it an obvious total loss. 

I offered to buy it as-is, where-is for $500.  If I can swing this deal it will be slick, because I already have a W126 300SE parts car laying here, and every part I need on the white car is here, free for the taking.  I could have a neat car for a minimal outlay. 

It would also color-coordinate with the 420SEL, maybe my wife wouldn't notice I bought another car?!

michaeld

Davestlouis,

I've got terrible news for you!

Unless your "wife" is a transsexual man in drag, she's a woman.  And if your wife IS a woman, she'll know!  It's what they do!

Now, for the sake of discussion, you MIGHT be able to get away with something like that with a wife who is not also a mother; but once a wife becomes a mother she: 1) grows eyes on the back of her head, 2) develops a built-in lie detector, and 3) becomes omniscient regarding the behavior of every boy (husbands included) in her household.

You don't stand a chance!

The one thing you've got going for you is FATHER'S DAY!!!  I'd play the F-D card.

It sounds like it would make for a heckuva buy, if you've got the storage space.

davestlouis

Yeah, she seems to know it every time I do anything I'm not supposed to, or spend something I'm not supposed to...I went ahead and told her about it tonight, she seemed OK with it, then she said the kids want a paddle boat and another Sunfish sailboat.  I guess her point is, if I get a toy, so do the kids. 

Storage space has never been a problem...we have lots of parking at work.  My boss likes to ask me if I'm starting a MB junkyard, but nobody seems to care what I store there.

michaeld

Davestlouis,

Let me get this straight: a nice wife AND a nice boss?  For the same guy at the same time?  You're like my hero now!

On the downside, if you all get your toys, it sounds like your kids' paddle boat and the sunfish sailboat will both be faster than your car!

davestlouis

Aw crap, he doesn't seem interested in selling to me.  I could have put that car back together for next-to-nothing.  At any rate, I got a new window motor in the driver's door on the 420SEL so I can go through the drivethrough at McDonald's, changed the power seat controls on the door, so I can finally adjust the driver's seat, and tinkered with the fuse box so I have juice to the blower motor and have ice-cold A/C.  No progress has been made on my 116's this week, but at least something is getting accomplished on my cars.  On the downside, I have PS issues on the 560SL...it's dripping fluid all over the place, and pumped the reservoir dry in 15 miles.  Guess I'll have to address that...