News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

pics of my 280SEL

Started by Andrew280SEL, 24 March 2007, 05:02 AM

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Des on 28 March 2007, 06:17 AM
rare doesn't = desirable in my books, well it's not the only factor I would consider it buying a car.

A model T ford might be rare, but I still wouldn't want to own one.

An FJ holden might be rare and collectible but I still wouldn't want to own one.

A 6.9 is rare, collectible and appeals to me, thats why I want to own one

again i was a little hasty. it's not the holy grail after all.

still, personally, if i saw a 350SEL i would snap it up. provided i could afford it of course, but only for collection sake.

im happy with the 280 though, its like the 350 only with 2 cylinders less, an extra cam, and a desire to be in the high revs all the time!  :D

i'm actually really attached to this car.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 28 March 2007, 06:25 AM
i'm actually really attached to this car.

And that's what it's all about  ;D     

And as I said not long ago, as much as I'm hooked on my 350, something draws me to the 280S that begs it be fixed and driven.  Each model has it's own uniqueness underlying the common 116 body that is more than just pure engine size.  I want a 6.9 too but I'm sure any 6.9er would say the attraction is more than just the huge motor.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Tomi

Good looking car andrew. Is that cover on the dash to protect it from the sun or is it a cosmetic thing. Never see them here.

Agree with you and Oscar about the 280, everyone who owns one, likes it very much. It must be the combination of the sound and that it is an engine designed for reving, which makes it sportive. the performance is designed to come at high revs. Many also say it is the best gas MB engine for durability. The look of that long rectangular block is also good. aah, consumption, well thats never good with these.

It would be nice to know more about the history of the development of this motor, because I have read from some place that at that same time Jaguar also developed a twin cam six, and there are some rumours that some spying and copying did occur. But details I dont know. (that would be a good question for a next quiz)

Brian Crump

That is a fine looking car - and despite the advantages of alloy wheels, I do prefer the painted hubcap look. The mileage and condition bear testament to the design and build quality of the original concept.

Quotethe huge motor really has a lot going for it-plus engineering integrity, reliability and nice styling

Yes indeed it does; each and every 116 has that same engineering integrity, reliability and nice styling. We are lucky to be the custodians of such fine vehicles - be they a 280s or a 6.9, short or long wheelbase.

In my books a 280 is as desirable as a 350; is as desirable as a 450; is as desirable as a 6.9.

Dash covers protect from the sun and stop glare off the dash.

Forze Benz!! ;D

BC

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Tomi on 28 March 2007, 02:21 PM
Good looking car andrew. Is that cover on the dash to protect it from the sun or is it a cosmetic thing. Never see them here.

Ah, well ill be honest. while i do like the look of it a bit, its mainly to further protect the dash as like a lot of aussie w116's the dash does have a couple of cracks on the top near the gauge cluster area. So it also covers the cracks up  ;) ;D

but its an aftermarket one, so i wont claim originallity. i'm not entirely sure whether there was ever factory ones or not. I spose there might have been, but ive never seen any.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Martin 280s

Quote from: Brian Crump on 28 March 2007, 07:08 PM
That is a fine looking car - and despite the advantages of alloy wheels, I do prefer the painted hubcap look. The mileage and condition bear testament to the design and build quality of the original concept.

Quotethe huge motor really has a lot going for it-plus engineering integrity, reliability and nice styling

Yes indeed it does; each and every 116 has that same engineering integrity, reliability and nice styling. We are lucky to be the custodians of such fine vehicles - be they a 280s or a 6.9, short or long wheelbase.

In my books a 280 is as desirable as a 350; is as desirable as a 450; is as desirable as a 6.9.

Forze Benz!! ;D

BC

I'm with you on that one Brian. Although I prefer the standard length models...please don't call it SWB as there were only two types - Standard and LWB. SWB reminds me of 60's and 70's Landrovers!

Brian Crump

Nothing wrong with a Landie - so long (short) as it is a real one and not a British Leyland hybrid...many old Landies are still chugging on nicely here and will still outgun a Toyota Landcruiser on an uphill run.
I like the term short wheel base cos I think of close coupled wheels - just a matter of perception but I take yr point and will reform my terms. Standard it is  ;D
BC

Martin 280s

Thanks Brian, My father had Landrovers for years. The last one was a blue and cream panel sided LWB with a wooden bench along each side in the back, I think that was in 1978. When we were kids my two brothers and I had our own wooden based cushion, which were not fixed down. Many a happy trip was spent hanging on to the cushion and being bounced around the in the back, trying not to trap our fingers between the wood panelling and the wood base of the seat cushion ;D!

Quote from: Tomi on 28 March 2007, 02:21 PM
Agree with you and Oscar about the 280, everyone who owns one, likes it very much. It must be the combination of the sound and that it is an engine designed for reving, which makes it sportive. the performance is designed to come at high revs. Many also say it is the best gas MB engine for durability. The look of that long rectangular block is also good. aah, consumption, well thats never good with these.

As a fellow M110 owner/lover, I want to say something about the consumption on these engines.  Granted, it's no '84 190D 2.2 giving just over 50 MPG with the 5-speed, but it's not bad...for example, a buddy of mine just bought an '07 Chevy with a 4 Cylinder...he's getting low-mid 20s.  My 280 gives me 19-22 in proper tune, plus it sounds better and has lots of power.  My M110 is 30 years old, and the design is 35-40 years old, and has almost 450,000 kms on it...his 4 cylinder is brand new...

Gripe about the way the M110 uses gas if you like, but I think it's decent.

Tomi

coming to think about it, i have to agree with you . My 107 SL 2.8 makes 10 l/100 km on highway when following speed limits, which is about the range you say. Once when the exhaust pipe was broken it made 9 l/100 km because I did not want to make too much noise and drove slower.
but city driving gets to be fun driving and it gets up to 15 l /100 km. its not that bad compared to the fun.

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 30 March 2007, 07:06 PM
Nice car there looks to be in great condition ;)

I'm jealous of you - the car i drove when i was your age was an embarrassment - I did restore it too, God knows why.. I guess i loved it at the time, until i discovered mercs  ::)

what did you drive if you dont mind me asking?

I'm not sure of your age, but were you a holden kind of guy, with big exhausts etc. I lose count these days at how many guys of my equilvelent age are getting around in aggro commodores. not sure if it was always like that or not.
:) 8)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 31 March 2007, 04:54 AM
Naturally, since those days I've reverted to my old attitude that they are both shithouse in that I'd personally never buy a late model Australian made car again - the depreciation is just utterly stupid. An older hero model might be fun tho ;)

pat, couldnt agree with you more!  :D  ;)

i'm glad you found the path of car enlightment: the mighty w116!!! ;D ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

:D :D

I was a ford man.  85 ZL fairlane.  I loved that thing when my folks had it.  It was 3 yrs old when I started driving it.  It was 15 yrs old when I bought it. yuk, it had changed somewhat :D.  The best part of it was a cockpit like button fest on the dash plus the triple deck pioneer brushed aluminium stereo with buttons for everything and a 7 band graphic equalizer with 7 slide switches.  The stereo was stolen about a year before I bought it back to restore it.  I had it for a year maybe then swapped it for the 350se.  It's now the size of a shoebox occupying land fill somewhere.  Found On Rubbish Dumps, so true in this case.  I'll admit, it was a pretty cool car though in the late eighties.  But how much cooler is the 350.  The fairlane was cool for a few years and had 390,000 km when it died.  The 350se is nearly 390,000km but had a frozen speedo for nearly two years before I got it and it's been much cooler for 34 years 8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: oscar on 31 March 2007, 10:09 AM
:D :D
I had it for a year maybe then swapped it for the 350se.

that was an awesome deal  ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9