News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

pics of my 280SEL

Started by Andrew280SEL, 24 March 2007, 05:02 AM

Andrew280SEL

For those that wanted to see a couple of photos of my car here it is.
Unfortunately we are still working out this new digital camera, so some of the pics are a bit dark and i had to brighten them on the PC.

But, theres more to come soon, with better light and backgrounds...an,uh, hehe, a nd the car will be CLEAN! ( I was busy today alright!)  ;D

I apologize if this is a bit much to load up and view properly, I'm new to it all... :-[
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

wow!!
spill your guts boy!

I see 53xxxx on the speedometer? is that true?
family car?

tell us about the brown car?

we need details, they look in pretty good condition by the way

:)

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Des on 24 March 2007, 05:12 AM
wow!!
spill your guts boy!

I see 53xxxx on the speedometer? is that true?
family car?

tell us about the brown car?

we need details, they look in pretty good condition by the way

Okay,

yep, the speedo reads true! of course ive only had the car since about August last year, so ive probably only racked up a couple of thousand at the most.

It's completely my car, but I do take the family out now and then, so i guess you could kind of call it a family car... :)
I have no idea about the former owner except that he was a surveyor or something, and went very regular trips down to hobart, from Launceston. Goodness knows about its life before then. I'm the fourth owner by the way  ;)

As for the brown car that snuck in the shot,
that is a 450SEL that I half own with my dad, sort of going to get it completely restored eventually. it needs some minor paint work, and as you can see in the pic the back seats have burned a bit in the fabric, so the interior needs a little work. So that ones kind of a father-son project.

My dad himself owns a blue 450SEL, but thats not in the shots obviously.

So, hows that?  :D

any queries??

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

excellent mate, sounds like at least your dad appreciates "real" cars.

I have a soft spot for SEL's if you are going to travel in luxury you need plenty of leg room.

you need a high mileage award badge for your car

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Des on 24 March 2007, 05:31 AM
excellent mate, sounds like at least your dad appreciates "real" cars.

I have a soft spot for SEL's if you are going to travel in luxury you need plenty of leg room.

you need a high mileage award badge for your car

Well if it wasnt for my dad i probably wouldnt have come across the world of w116's. What a sad world i would have lived in!  :D

oh, and I didnt realize the reading on the speedo isnt entirely shown.
The exact reading is 538,930 kms.

I was actually pretty surprised with its initial condition given the high mileage. It originally had a bit of gravel rash along the front of the bonnet, but that was repainted not too long ago. other than that, the car was like you see it now.

Anyhow, ive hardly seen many white w116's down here, let alone 280SEL's, so if you ever pass on the road it you can be pretty sure who the driver is!  ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

we might have to arrange a tassie meet

I'll bring my 6.9

Don't know of any other 116 owners down here though.

Sure there are plenty around, just don't actually know any of them

Andrew280SEL

yeah, and any owners i think i know aren't exactly "enthusiasts".

We're a limited bunchdown here, in tassie, certainly.

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

Every "old" Mercedes owner I see here on the roads in their 60's or 70's, their cars seem to be generally in very good condition, which would lead me to believe they are the original owners.

Old W114/5 280's, and W116 280's seem to be the most frequently encountered.

I own a 230, but the first really usable Benz is the 280 models.

oscar

Hey, nice pics Andrew.  My 350 (white) ;D used to belong to my dad.  he bought it for $25,000 in 1989 with 120,000km on the clock now 380,000km.   I used to see a lot of white ones (280's and 450's) and it was only till I joined the forum that I realised how many other colours there were, especially metallics. I hadn't seen any metallics before apart from gold. The metallics looked so modern I used to think they were repaints.

How come we don't see your dad on the forum?  Haven't yoou told him about us? ;)

BTW, I want pinstripes now.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: oscar on 24 March 2007, 06:05 AM
Hey, nice pics Andrew.  My 350 (white) ;D used to belong to my dad.  he bought it for $25,000 in 1989 with 120,000km on the clock now 380,000km.   I used to see a lot of white ones (280's and 450's) and it was only till I joined the forum that I realised how many other colours there were, especially metallics. I hadn't seen any metallics before apart from gold. The metallics looked so modern I used to think they were repaints.

How come we don't see your dad on the forum?  Haven't yoou told him about us? ;)

BTW, I want pinstripes now.

oh he knows about yas!  ;)
but lets just say he's not a computer person...he can use them, but has usually steered clear of them.
So i guess you could say i can be his representative on this great forum!  ;D

glad you like pinstripes. i havent seen many w116's with them, so i guess back then in the 70's some people maybe didnt like them when they were choosing the options. but then again, i suppose they wouldnt suit all colours though 

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

gregdeklerk

Nice car Andrew. There are not many 280SEL's around these days, but even fewer 350SEL's!!

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 28 March 2007, 12:52 AM
Nice car Andrew. There are not many 280SEL's around these days, but even fewer 350SEL's!!

Thanks Greg!

Yeah i was pretty surprised when i saw the production number of 280SEL's, but extremely surprised about the 350's.

Long live the w116!  ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

7 032, 280SEL's were produced, that's worldwide sales,

probably less than half left on the road, say under 3,000 cars

I would wager a bet there is more FJ Holden's left on the road here in Australia than there are 280SEL's left in the world.

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Des on 28 March 2007, 05:16 AM
7 032, 280SEL's were produced, that's worldwide sales,

probably less than half left on the road, say under 3,000 cars

I would wager a bet there is more FJ Holden's left on the road here in Australia than there are 280SEL's left in the world.

all i can say is.... whoa!!! ;D :D

if thats about right, then seeing as there was only about 3,000 and something 350SEL's produced, you can see how rare they are.

i guess in that case If you see a 350SEL on the road, throw a hook james bond style on it's tow bar and FORCE it to a halt and offer the owner the highest you can afford!  ;D

EDIT:

Uh, well maybe i was a little hasty on the "highest you can afford" remark. it's not a 6.9 after all...
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

rare doesn't = desirable in my books, well it's not the only factor I would consider it buying a car.

A model T ford might be rare, but I still wouldn't want to own one.

An FJ holden might be rare and collectible but I still wouldn't want to own one.

A 6.9 is rare, collectible and appeals to me, thats why I want to own one