News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Picked up an M110 block heater

Started by MB_Mike, 13 October 2011, 09:38 AM

MB_Mike

Given that my 1980 280 SE has become a winter driver for many reasons, I thought I should still treat it with as much care as I can. This should help some.

Has anyone else had experience with one of these in a gas engine?

I did some research after the purchase that says an FI engine really won't reap the benefits until -20 below zero. I still think it can't hurt.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

koan

It looks to have a M-B part number is it an M-B part?

Thought the benefits of a block heater would be less cold start wear, faster starting with less battery drain and quicker cabin heat. Don't see how the induction system, carb or injection (of any type, electronic or mechanical) would make any difference.

Where does it bolt in?

Is there a power rating for the unit?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

MB_Mike

Hi Koan,

All your points are exactly what I was thinking when I bought it, but then I found some discussion where folks really didn't believe that it would help all that much. Matter of opinion I suppose.

There is an MB part number but I wasn't able to cross reference it anywhere. All the paperwork and the box say Mercedes Benz but the unit itself doesn't have the star that you would expect.

Not sure of the power rating but it bolts right into the block. I don't have it in front of me at the moment to give specifics as I left it in the car when I took it to my mechanic to show off  ;D
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Big_Richard

I would love an m100 block heater kit  8)

i wonder if they came in 240v versions

koan

The box looks semi-official with MBNA on it, maybe is was a locally produced part to satisfy a local demand.

It's cold starts that wear engines, look at taxis which never go cold and go for a lot more miles than a car just used for "just down the road" trips, there must be benefits. 

koan

Big_Richard

with a block heater in my m100, i'd have it on for an hour or so before taking it for a drive or moving it so the engine is at 80c before i even start it so my mind would be at ease  8)

I dont think theres even a facility for a block heater on the m100 or the v8's at all for that matter, we dont have those blanking plates on the sides of the blocks, or do we ?

MAybe we just need the "webasto independent fuel burning heater" but the idea of fuel burning in a 30 year old device controled by 30 year old electronics unattended scares me

koan

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 13 October 2011, 05:09 PM
I dont think theres even a facility for a block heater on the m100 or the v8's at all for that matter, we dont have those blanking plates on the sides of the blocks, or do we ?

I can't recall seeing anywhere on the engine where the immersion heater might bolt in.

MAybe we just need the "webasto independent fuel burning heater" but the idea of fuel burning in a 30 year old device controled by 30 year old electronics unattended scares me

Yes, an old Webasto unit might get you car very warm very quickly ...but just the once.

koan

Big_Richard

I have never seen one of these webasto units in person, allegedly according to TJ there's one fitted to the piece of sh.. 6.9 decomposing in the lower socioeconomic ghetto across the main road. (which you wouldn't want to walk around in after the sun goes down if you want to keep your organs)

s class

That one 6.9 I worked on had the webasto equipment.  It involves a LOT of extra water and fuel pipes in the engine bay, plus lots of fuel pipes etc at the rear.  It looked terrifying with all the associated bits old and perished. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

yep, just as i suspected - a disaster waiting to happen

TJ 450

Yes, the car MT mentions has the Webasto system.

Terrifying describes it well!

If functional though, that sort of system would be very useful, for the reasons already mentioned.

Indeed, just about all standard engine wear occurs immediately after cold starts.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

if you believe the marketing hype behind "magnatec" you  could prevent cold start engine wear by the magical properties of their oil. Personally I think its a crock of horse manure though ;)

koan

Quote from: s class on 14 October 2011, 05:01 AM
It involves a LOT of extra water and fuel pipes in the engine bay, plus lots of fuel pipes etc at the rear.  It looked terrifying with all the associated bits old and perished.

I posted a diagram of the plumbing the gallery sometime ago:

(click for big picture)

Well maintained it'd be fine but ignore it and anything could happen.

koan

Casey

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 13 October 2011, 05:09 PM

All the ones I've seen for the OM617's are mounted somewhere in the coolant system hosing, and both heat the coolant and pump it through the engine.  On my W124 there was one under the coolant reservoir, and I found one on a W116 at the junkyard in the middle of the big thick hose on the right (as in US passenger) side of the radiator.  I've always just heard them called block heaters - didn't realize there was a type that actually attached to the block on some engines.  I'd imagine those would work equally well on a V8 though.

What is the purpose of a block heater on a gas engine, though?

Ilike300sd

Why not just use a wolverine heater?  They take like 10 minutes to put on and are really simple.  No pipes or anything else.  You just glue the thing onto the bottom of the oil pan.  I have a small one that I'm going to put on my 300SD before winter.  They really work on a gas engine but haven't tried one yet on a diesel.  Guys in canada live by them from what I hear.